What Is Seva?

Guest patanikuch

We humans are prone to judge in haste, without giving a chance to see the depth of what is said, from all possible angles. Because, then only can a correct and a sound answer be given, otherwise it is just a reaction, which generally turns to be opposite of what one believes, and this attitude just shows one`s inmaturity, inspite of one´s belief of being a wise one.

Having said that, amrit vela is traditionally known of the early hours of the day, because one engages in spritual practices, as that time is appropiate for that purpose, because usually at that time, there are no door bells, no phone calls, no traffic noises, etc. calmness is the sign of that period of time.

But, given a deeper look to it, these are just mere words. Real Amrit wela is, any time one dedicates to the devotion of Nam. Amrit means Nectar of Inmortality, and wela means time, so in this way, Amrit wela means, in fact the time dedicated to this spiritual practice, because this Amrit of Nam is flowing 24 hours a day non stop inside our spiritual body. It is not like a supermarket or a shop or a rseaturant which is opened from 10 am to 10 pm, just for an example,

Wahiguru has kept it individually for each person inside, during the 24 hours a day, non stop as said before, and to get is purifying effect, we have to taste it, we have to go inside ourselves and have it, then yes it is Amrit wela at any time this is done , not otherwise.

Or is it that, just by standing out the supermarket we are going to get the eatables ? No, we have to get in... If a child gets up because it is time to go to school, but actually does not go to school, what is the use of that time? In the same way, time(wela) for Amrit, is the time in having it....as this Amrit is flowing continously non stop... Chim Chim Varse Amrit Dhara.... Anter Jot Niranter Bani, Sache Sahib syu Liv lae... it is the same thing, so only by having this real Amrit, we clear our sins and get the true knowledge of Wahiguru; but this Amrit referred in the Bani is not the outer Amrit we make and take it... that is just a symbol.... the outer amrit is made of one of the 5 tattwas or elements of creation like: air water fire earth and eter, and all of these elements are perishable, so naturally from any of them single or combined real amrit can never be had... the real Amrit which the bani talks about, is the Nam, the Shabad, the Anhad Bani, which Wahiguru has kept in each one of us, to have and become pure paviter and get released from the chaurasee ka chakar forever, and at the same time, mind and the 5 passions come under control and are vanquished, such is the greatness and power of this Amrit...not only that, but also merges our soul in Wahiguru, becoming one with Him.

It is pity, our sikhee is such a perfect source of happiness, but due to the manipulators, to the manmukhs, our sense and capacity of discrimination has been handcuffed, our eyes have been tapped, so we are going astray like the rest of the world....otherwise the bani is very very clear, on each page only mahima of Wahiguru and Shabad or Nam is expressed... but we have been caught up in rituals and ceremonies, and lost in outer things, not paying attention to the message of our Gurus, though we may believe we do, but the reality is far different... We have reduced the high spirited and elevating teachings of our Gurus, in mere symbols, thus have lost the real meaning and value of ruhaniyat, of spirituality

If the outer amrit was the real amrit, surely our kam krodh moh and ahankar had been erased by now and we would have had the darshan of Wahiguru Akal Purukh, so let us ask ourselves sincerely, has that happened to me, have these changes come in me, or am I just fancying in my mind? If not so, I am under braham, under just a great misconception.

So naturally in this way, we have become narrow minded, if any clarification is made, then according to our limited understanding, it seems confusing, it is out of the square chalked by the mahamurakhs for us, without we being consciouss of it, because as said before our freedom of sense of understanding and thinking has been hancuffed.

The outer and unreal amrit is had through the mouth, but the real inner Amrit is made by Akal Purukh Himself, is had by listening to it, that is why, as it is said in Jap Ji sahib, referring to this Amrit, this Bani, this Shabad: suniye, paap dukh sabh naas!

The only means to cleanse our sins, our mind and become pure, to become paviter, is by listening to this Bani, no other way. And the same is mentioned by the 3rd patsahee, of this Anhad Bani in Anand Sahib.

May Wahiguru bless us with clear and correct thinking.

Sewa is first of all, a way to be humble, to remove haume in us, the egotism. It is said, humility is the only thing which the Lord likes, because He is the highest...

Sewa is also a means to be more human being, by being helpful and kind in anyway to all creatures, as all have in them, that Light of Him. But not fake humility, but the real one, from the bottom of our hearts, having the sense of gratitude, and taking pleasure in doing it, for being allowed by the Lord, to serve our brother souls; sabna jeea ka iko Daata! having said that, sewas can be of 4 types: tan(body) man(mind), dhan(wealth) and the last one of surat(soul).

The first three, are means to the fourth one. We can do sewa phisically, mentally or with the wealth, in numerous ways. But these sewas should be done in a spirit of detachment, without expecting anything from it, we do it, because we see that holy and divine flame in all beings, without any distinctions, like class, caste, color or creed. In this way our chit or mind, gets cleansed up to an extent, it gets dyed in the colour of a very noble quality: humility.

But the real purpose of our life, is that sewa which we do, with our surat or soul, of Wahiguru or Nam or Shabad, because with that sewa,we are doing good to ourselves, as it is said, we can help others, if only, we first help ourselves. So with Nam bhakti or Nam abhyass we clean the dirt accumulated on our souls, since inmemorial times, since we left Sach Khand and got stuck in this creation, alien land, for which we fight and cut the throats of others, in name of land and religion mainly, which are means of the negative Power to keep entangled our souls in his mayavee planes, or dimensions; and so by doing this sewa, we free it, from the clutches of mind, kal and maya... thus being free ourselves, we will then be in a position, to help in a real spiritual manner, to our fellow brothers and sisters.

Following is a shabad where, we can see the real importance, of this sewa, as it is done by the soul, our real self, to the real objective: "Wahiguru", all other sewas howsoever inspiring and desired may be, but after all are bindings to this creation, but by this Surat Shabad sewa, which is a game of love also, played by the lover soul to its beloved Lord, Akal Purukh, Satnam, we get freed of the biggest curse that one can have, and that is, chaurasee ka chakar, the unending cycle of births and deaths, and freed also, from the five evils: kam krodh lobh moh ahankar, and its masters: mind, maya and kal...

Such is the beauty, and utmost importance of this sewa with all that it implies, as we can see it by ourselves in the beautifull shabad of our panchvi Parshahee Guru arjun Dev :

mil mayray gobind apnaa naam dayh.

Meet me, O my Lord of the Universe. Please bless me with Your Name.

naam binaa Dharig Dharig asnayhu.

Without the Naam, the Name of the Lord, cursed, cursed is love and intimacy.

naam binaa jo pahirai khaa-ay.

Without the Naam, one who dresses and eats well

ji-o kookar joothan meh paa-ay.

is like a dog, who falls in and eats impure foods.

naam binaa jaytaa bi-uhaar. ji-o mirtak mithi-aa seegaar.

Without the Naam, all occupations are useless, like decorations on a dead body.

naam bisaar karay ras bhog.

One who forgets the Naam and indulges in pleasures,

sukh supnai nahee tan meh rog.

shall find no peace, even in dreams; his body shall become diseased.

naam ti-aag karay an kaaj.

One who renounces the Naam and engages in other occupations,

binas jaa-ay jhoothay sabh paaj.

shall see all of his false pretenses fall away.

naam sang man pareet na laavai.

One whose mind does not embrace love for the Naam

kot karam karto narak jaavai.

shall go to hell, even though he may perform millions of ceremonial rituals

har kaa naam jin man na aaraaDhaa.

One whose mind does not contemplate the Name of the Lord

chor kee ni-aa-ee jam pur baaDhaa.

is bound like a thief, in the City of Death.

laakh adambar bahut bisthaaraa.

Hundreds of thousands of ostentatious shows and great expanses

naam binaa jhoothay paasaaraa.

- without the Naam, all these displays are false.

har kaa naam so-ee jan lay-ay.

That humble being repeats the Name of the Lord,

kar kirpaa naanak jis day-ay.

O Nanak, whom the Lord blesses with His Mercy.

And this sewa, of surat shabad , as seen in this simple and lovely shabad, which summarries the essence of real spirituality, we can only have it in the Sadh Sangat, as prasad, not otherwise, as seen in the last two lines of the shabad above.

Beautiful post :). This post is a beautiful, amazing seva in itself, thankyou Ji for serving the Truth. Service of tan man dhan through Bhagti is the greatest seva.

I also agree with John Smiths post about feeding the hungry and helping the abused. I am truly shocked when I see gurdwarra money spent on <mod cut, swearing> and even nagar kirtans when that money could be going to starving children and people. The gurdwarras first priority are the poor, homeless shelters could be set up, sikh refuges and even soup kitchens if the poor are unwilling to eat at the gurdwarra.

First of all no thanks brother/ sister, we are all children of the one same Father Wahiguru Akal Purukh, in this alien land: bhavsagar. So I, me, you, he, she or we and they, is not important, only HE is important. And if any help can be provided by us in a reasonable, fair and a sound manner, should be given without any distinction of class, colour, caste or religion, and above all without any sense of gaining something in return, it should be selfless. So, as you were asking, what should or could be done, if phisicall, or monetary sewa can not be done.... Nothing to worry about much... as said above, these sewas are the means to the main sewa, which is of the sewa of our surat or soul, to create that ground in us of humility, but if for any reason one can not perform them... not much to worry about; as the main sewa is Nam Simran, and this sewa we are for the first time doing it, for our soul primarly, and this is what really matters, because it will take us to His court, at the same time makes us pure, as that is also the purpose of sewa, not only that, but it will generate genuine love for us in the bottom of our hearts for Him, and this sewa will take us across from this bhavsagar to His court, His palace: Sach Khand, and in that way we also fulfill our main purpose, of being born as human beings; we get only blessings from this sewa. For performing it, you do not have to be a scholar or a pandit or a gyani, man or woman, young or old, rich or poor.... neither strong, nothing of that sort. This is the way made by Himself, for us to realize Him, and get back to Him. From a child of 5 years, to a grown up person of 80 years can do it. You do not need any puja, flowers, candles, lamps, incense, nothing of that sort. Our beloved Akal Purukh is so garcious....He has made is so simple and easy...only heart full of faith you need, and a place to sit, and through this Nam Simran, take your conscioiusness up and inside into His lap.... for all this, one absolutely needs Sadh Sangat. Because if He wants us to do His jaap, nobody can stop us. Then we see, how He showers His grace, Daya Meher , His bakshish on us.

As it is asid in the bani: Nanak, Nam ghat anter waseh, Gur kirpa te paavaniya.

AAp Jaapayye, japiye so Nao: To whom He wants to meditate on Him and repeat His holy Name, only they will do so.

So brother, let us be gratefull to Him, as He has given us this human body, which is got after a long time, as there are 8.400.000 species of lives, we do not know when we shall get it again, let us not waste it so cheaply, as it is said in the bani, if we do not do devotion of Nam, we shall be caught like a thief, and taken to the court of Dharam Rai, to be punished, for wasting uselessly this golden opportunity. By not uniting oureslves with Him, we condem oureslves to the wheel of Chaurasee, the wheel of eighty four. We waste our time in rituals, ceremonies, fastings, pilgrimages, idol worship, etc, etc, etc. But the fact is that, spirituality, ruhaniyat is gained by attaching our consciousness to the Shabad or Nam , as stated on each and every line of the Granth Sahib, same is confirmed by the all the real saints like, Kabir Sahib, Sant Tukaram, Sant Namdev, Jesus Christ.... all of them talk of the same thing... naturally the source of them is same, as they have elevated and merged their souls in Wahiguru, also through, Nam Simran.

And this way to go back to the father is not a monoply of any class or religion, Wahiguru has wisely made it same for all the human beings, as He knows very well, how we stupid people fight and kill in the name of religion, saying mine is better or superior than yours. So He said, as I am equall for all, all are dear to me, and if you want to come to me, it has to be, by only in my way, and that is Nam Bhakti, Nam abyhass or call it Nam Simran, it is the same thing.

No other long drive or short cut. That is why He is called also: Sabna Jeea ka Iko Daata. Everything is clear in the Bani of our Gurus, but for that, clear understanding is essential, which we get it in Sadh Sangat, from there everything starts and everything ends.

WJKK WJKF

What is Naam simran?

Well brother, the question you are asking is not so easy to be explained or understood, because it relates to Wahiguru, and it is impossible for a limited and impure mind like ours, to grasp it, unless He himself wants you to know about Him. But anyhow, this bandha is going to try and talk a little bit of His majesty.

In the begining of the Jap Ji Sahib, of the Mool mantra, it is said: Ik Onkar Satnam , karta purakh, nirbau nirver, akal murat, ajunee sembav, Gur parsad, Jap.

Now first of all, Wahiguru is a level (highest) of consciousness, is an state of energy., and His real form is invisble and unperceptible through our karam or gyan indriyas, means all our sensorial organs, because He is not physicall, His nature is spiritual, so we need to develope our spiritual eyes to have His darshan.

I am sure I am not going to describe His inmensity, or greatness, so please forgive me for that, but even then, if a spark for His love, devotion and darshan can be kindled in any heart, it is going to be more than any biggest lottery I could win ever. Not because I gain anything, neither I do expect anything, it is just a pleasure to talk or listen of our real father, Wahiguru Akal Purukh.

So, going back to the mool mantra, as said, He is one. His way of projecting Himself in this creation, is His Nam, His power to create, is His Nam, His essence is Nam. So as energy propagates through waves, He is omnipresent, through His Shabad or Nam form. For example only two people are in an empty room, and one asks the other person, what else is here, one will say nobody and nothing, but the second one, brings out a small radio transistor from his pocket and turns it on, and a nice music is heard. And the second one says, well nobody or nothing is here, that is just a relative truth, because the radio waves are not perceived by our senses, and that does not mean they are not existing, but for that particular propagation of energy, a particular receiver or device is necessary, not only that, but it has to be tuned in, in the right frecuency, for that also, it needs a certain energy(batteries), so you see several requirements are needed: (technique or method) to be able to catch those waves(Shabad or Nam); transistor radio(human body), batteries(our soul, our conciousness), and a tuner( someone to tune us......)

In a similar way, the Lord is projected everywhere, but in order to know Him, and his ways of working, we have to make ourselves as subtle as He is, that is making ourselves that subtle, that we become what we are, a drop of that energy, and be able to merge in Him, this is all done on a spritual level, without any part of the physicall body getting involved in it, partially or totally.

So the question arises, how do we make ourselves, that much subtle?

Just as for anything in this world, take any field, we need to learn from somebody, because we need it...on every step. Since we are born, first our parents are our teachers, then as we grow, our elder brothers or sisters, then at school our teachers, at the university, teachers of a higher order... we always need to learn from someone.

And if this is the case of material things and sciences, how can this limited human being even think, that in spiritual matters he will do it all by himself, well he can try to do it, but only braham , misconception and failure is assured. Or has anybody become a lawyer,a teacher , a doctor,an engineer just by mere reading of books, if so then why schools, why teachers? Books and reading can inspire you, can create that desire in you, to have that knowledge, practically we need a proper teacher to explain, what is written in the books, to make that knowledge avaible to us, keeping in mind that whatever written in it, is limited, as it has been written by a living and consciouss being, who knows more than what is written in it, because the book, by itself is not consciouss of who wrote in it, or when was it wrote in, neither is it going to talk to you, what if one is an illeterate, in which way does it profit us?

For not having any power in it, it can not even open by itself, neither turn its pages by itself, neither know about your level or progress, it has no knowledge of what it is, it is a lifeless,an inert thing. We are the consciouss beings, so when you come face to face to a competent teacher, he knows how to improve you, knows exactly in what position you are at each moment, in that way he makes you go forward, talks to you, listens to you, guides you, corrects you, pushes you, and at the end, he graduates you; all that was written in the books, he had it in him inside already, and he transmitted it you, it could be with the help of books or not, but it was he, who gave you the knowledge, and made you fit, if he wanted, he could give you the knowledge even without books, which were an aid by him for your progress, the greatness and values, are of the teacher not of the books.

And in spiritual matters, something like that is also needed. So Nam Simran is a method,( to be tuned in the frecuency of Nam) to first make yourself subtle and then get yourself tuned in, by the tuner, in the frecuency of those waves propagated; there are many frecuencies, but to get tuned in that particular frecuncy, to get that desired station or programe, the tuner is essential. We can not tune ourselves, we have to be tuned, and that can only happen if you put yourself in the hands of the tuner. Aad Gureh Nameh, Jugad Gureh Nameh, Satgureh Nameh. We can let oureselves or not, but He is the doer of the real thing., and even then, He does not force anybody. He is also called Karta Purukh. And He is: Aad Sach, Jugad Sach, Haebee Sach, Nanak hosee bhee Sach.

I will just humbly request, to wipe off from the mind whatever one has heard or read up to this day, and read Anand Sahib, from beginning to the end,(be it once, twice,or hundred and one if needed) and try to follow it word by word, if one wants to get real answers and satisffaction; one wil get the real directions to find Wahiguru, but for that, as said before, each and every word has to be followed, no twisting, because I have heard so and so, no, it should be followed literally, although on each page of the respectable Granth Sahib, instructions are clear, but in this particular chapter, it is more open and clearly written on almost all issues, dealing with spirituality or ruhaniyat.

May God bless us all, with His daya meher to be able to know Him and understand Him.