How To Improve Your Voice?

Guest tone deaf person

Guest tone deaf person

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Kalsa,

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh.

I was wondering if any kirtanees would off tips on how to improve my voice. I have been doing kirtan for many years and my voice seems to be getting worse by the day. Do kirtanees just rely on sa re ga ma? If so, how long for? and what different tunes? All tips would gratefully be accepted.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Kalsa,

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh.

fathe ji,

Kirtaniyae are always learning throughout their lives, it is impossible to learn everything in a life time. I have been learning keertan for a few years and ustaad ji always makes sure riyaz is being done. at least half an hour of riyaz a day should be done. Start with doing your sargams slowly and then use the mandar and tar scale also. Then start sing patterns. After a while start using different speeds. DO NOT use a vaja/harmonium when doing riyaz it hinders our voice. Sing with just a tanpura only touch vaja keys briefly every now and then if you are unsure you have hit the sur. Once you have done the shudh scales, start with the scales of a raag depending on time of day, e.g. bhairav in morning, yaman kalyaan in the evening etc. use different raags everyday or every two days to help improve your voice further.

Guest singhni

LOOL. sikhs. wont listen to yur voice. thy wil listen to the shabad.. the shabad makes yur voice sounds NICE!!!.. sing it from your heart!!

tip is.. do sargam. se re ga ma pa dha ni sa.....sa ni dha pa ma ga re sa... do it for 15mins a day...the longer the better. my ustad.. said that.. soo it will work.. plus.. this penjis voice was really bad.. but improved aloooooooot.. wen she start practisin sargam. she use to practise a lot.. of tht.......DO the sargam of each note slowly.. example SA...ten sec. help to clear yur troat.

btw. like i said before. noone cares how yu sound. they care.. bout the shabad. sing from yur heart. nd even yu wont care.. Belive daas :)

fateh ji : )

Although singing loud is good however there comes a point where some sing too loud. this strains the voice which i have seen does cause damage in the long run, however this is more like shouting / singing. in terms of voice quality i think its what youre given, cant really change a husky voice to a sweet smooth one. concentrate on your singing skills. sargam practice is one which can be developed in multiples. learn how to bend the notes ghamak. e.g goign from sa to dha, depending on the raag.

LOOL. sikhs. wont listen to yur voice. thy wil listen to the shabad.. the shabad makes yur voice sounds NICE!!!.. sing it from your heart!!

tip is.. do sargam. se re ga ma pa dha ni sa.....sa ni dha pa ma ga re sa... do it for 15mins a day...the longer the better. my ustad.. said that.. soo it will work.. plus.. this penjis voice was really bad.. but improved aloooooooot.. wen she start practisin sargam. she use to practise a lot.. of tht.......DO the sargam of each note slowly.. example SA...ten sec. help to clear yur troat.

btw. like i said before. noone cares how yu sound. they care.. bout the shabad. sing from yur heart. nd even yu wont care.. Belive daas :)

fateh ji : )

Erm no, sikhs do listen to your voice too, along with the shabad of course. And you just gave contradictory advice, first you say sikhs wont listen to your voice and then you ask the poster to practice sargam. Make up your mind lol

Guest Bundha

The more you do riaz in the lower register the better your voice will be and higher in the octaves you will go.

SA is most important, then start to go slowly down the saptak Ni, Dha, Pa . . . . . . . in the lower saptak, this really helps the voice.

Also drink a glass of warm/water in the morning this helps the voice.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Kalsa,

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh.

I was wondering if any kirtanees would off tips on how to improve my voice. I have been doing kirtan for many years and my voice seems to be getting worse by the day. Do kirtanees just rely on sa re ga ma? If so, how long for? and what different tunes? All tips would gratefully be accepted.

Vaheguroo Jee Ka Kalsa,

Vaheguroo Jee Kee Fateh.

WAHEGURU JI KA KHALSA!WAHEGURU JI KI FATEH!

My teacher said me to take break after every half hour of practicing.....in that break drink some coffee or hot water etc.

Also doing riaaz of sargam at 4 to 6 in the morning is better.