Active singhnia

S1ngh

Perhaps one reason why not many Bibis post on this forum is because all the real die-hard Sikhi loving Singhnees are out doing bhagti and don't have time for forums :wub: blush.gif :e:

Myself, being a teenage Amritdhari Sikh, living in this western society which some may say is corrupt as being the era of Kaljug (i.e. Dark Age), have seen all the things Sikh girls get up to. Yet, what our sisters of today forget is, how Sikh women in the past had fought to keep our Sikh identity alive!

I definitely DO agree that these days, many of our sisters are forgetting about how our Puratan Singhnees went through so much. BUT, it's not easy to look at from a Singh's perspective. You lot may not understand how it feels to be a Sikh girl in today's society. Your culture/the media/society tells you to remove and cut your hair... Your religion / gurdwaras / camps / sangat all tell you 'don't even dream of removing your hair' and to wear a kesk

i or keep your head covered at all times.. Your parents tell you to be obedient and submissive, learning how to sew and cook and clean and you should still look attractive and graceful so someone will marry you one day. rolleyes.gif

I've talked to lots of girls and they get really confused between what path to choose. It's not easy for them these days.

PLUS, lots of girls base their self-confidence and happiness on the opinions of GUYS/boys/men (sadly) .. It's probably really disheartening and discouraging when you have a lot of hair on your face as a female and all the boys around you think you're not attractive and thus treat you like c rap. Lots of Singhs are more affectionate to moneh girls, and they're not as nice to the Singhnees that actually have the guts to keep their hair and follow Sikhi. :T: Interesting, eh? :yehyehyeh:

I know personally from other situations, lots of girls that started keeping their hair got no support from anyone. Even some of the Singhs they used to talk to weren't as nice anymore. It's like, where are you supposed to get support, if even your own brothers don't like the way you look?

Hair is a natural gift from God - men and women both have it all over their bodies. It's this white culture/society/media that makes women feel like they're not supposed to have hair. :T:

I think Singhs should support their sisters more and encourage them. Singhnees today need to be told that they ARE beautiful with each and every hair on their face/body. They need to be told that Guru Jee loves them and that real beauty is reflected on a person's face when their inside is pure. This is why many bibis are weak today - they have lots of expectations and it's so easy to give in to society, especially when no one respects you if you keep kes..

Only Guru Jee. And thank God for Him blush.gif

P.S. Please don't fall under the assumption that ALL bibis today are weak. I've seen soooo many amazing Singhnees these days that are practically MADE of sarbloh, they're so pure and strong. Lots of Singhnees are getting stronger, whereas lots are getting weaker. Just don't forget about all those bibis that even today, in the midst of kaljug, are proudly displaying their Kes and Kakaars and doing parnaam to the mahaan shaheeds of the Panth everyday - just by walking around and REPRESENTING sikhi...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Singhs should support their sisters more and encourage them. Singhnees today need to be told that they ARE beautiful with each and every hair on their face/body. They need to be told that Guru Jee loves them and that real beauty is reflected on a person's face when their inside is pure. This is why many bibis are weak today - they have lots of expectations and it's so easy to give in to society, especially when no one respects you if you keep kes..

Only Guru Jee. And thank God for Him blush.gif

I dont know if this will help, but what encouraged me to come into sikhi. Two things: One was children. I love children, expecially those doing simran, soo loud, and well attached!!! They are the true hearted ones, we all are just after maya/illusions. THe other is actually my bhainjis all over. Nothing funny about it, but i have SOO much respect for them in how they keep their sikhi. May it be wit or without keski, but how they have respect for hair, even most of us veers dont have dat much!!!

• 5 months later...

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

Yeah I see your point Vicky Bhaji.

Maybe it's just my family though, but I quite often get told that as a singhnee, it's not right for us to be on websites/forums etc coz they're are a lot of men on and we might "fall in love, get influenced by Singhs" etc.

Maybe that's why there are so few Bibis here and in other aspects of sikhi (or is it just me that thinks like this? :wub: )

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

or vice-versa! wink2.gif

Gur poorai maeree raakh laeee.......

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

no disrespect or anything to anyone......but i think this is partly the reason parents say stuff like that. people be hollerin at singhnia...instead of just carrying on with normal threads where you read and answer threads, we make separate threads like this. plus you gotta factor in that singhs and singhnia are too close these days in the western society. back in the day a singh wouldnt dare look at, let alone talk to someone elses daughter/sister. i am in no way singling anyone out as im also guilty of this myself....but thats just our mentality now.....

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

'anon', I agree TO A CERTAIN EXTENT. It all depends on one's INTENTIONS on getting 'close'. There's 'looking' and then there's 'ogling'!!! Quite a difference! Sometimes, judgments are made very quickly and mindlessly- often where the girl is put to 'blame' for something quite innocent. Unfortunately that's the pathetic state of 'culture'!

We are no longer 'back in the day'...we've got to learn to live in the present! In modern society interaction with the opposite sex is inevitable, e.g. at college/ uni/ work etc..Therefore, one must learn how to do this APPROPRIATELY.

Anyway, when at the Gurdwara, men and women are give equal rights (theoretically by Guru ji)...so why alienate females by not talking/ ignoring them? Just learn some liaakat. Value different PERSPECTIVES offered by the individual experiences of Singhs and Singhneean. There are obvious differences, due to society etc. etc., so we need to keep a bit of an open-mind.

Similarly, Bheinjis must have mutual respect for their Bhajis! Remeber, that "somebody else's daughter/sister" should also be

seen as YOUR daughter/sister (or father/brother for us Singhneea(n) too).

Bhul chuk maaf.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

has anyone ever thought that perhaps its the Singhs that post TOO much?? and then Singhnia are told THEY talk too much :wub:

lol just kidding! great posts mdkaur. i would definitely like to see more active Singhnia on the forum. if there are girls reading this forum but not posting for reasons such as fear or being embarassed - dont be! its good to hear everyones opinion, and there are sometimes issues in which a Singhni's opinion is much appreciated. Speak out sisters! :TH:

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!