Chapter 2 Vairaag Shatak

KABITT

"PUNNAN KE VASTEH SOH BHOGHCHIRR VASTEH,

NAMITT NASEH NASTEH PRAHYADH AADH DINNH MAEH.

KAUN BHED BHOGANKEH BHEDH MAEH NA TAJEH JANN,

EK KOH VIYOGH TOH AVASS HOTT INN MAEH.

SUTTEH JABB JAAVEH TABB MANN KOH TAPAVEH BHARI,

MOKHEH TINNEH AAP TAAP MOKEH TINN KHINEH MAEH.

AISEH MOKH PRAHTT BHANDHI VIKEH LAKEH MAEH SAMBHANDHI,

KOH KOBHAGHI BINN MAEH JOH RAAGI HOTT INN MAEH."{10}.

Namitt=as a result/cause. Nasteh=diminished. Avass=absolutely.Sutteh=by itself/them self. Tapaveh=cause torment/grief. Mokeh=should do thetiagh of = renunciation. Mokeh=leave. Pratt Bhandhi= those that cause ahinderance/obstacle. Kobhaghi= misfortunate. Raaghi=premi=lover/devotee etc.

1. As a result ofpoorableh karam {past deeds} the bhog roop padarath {physical pleasures} aregiven to people for a lengthy time , but as a result of the ending of thepoorableh karam {past deeds} the bhog padharath {physical pleasures} diminishtoo and this maryada {law} has been in place since the beginning of time.

2. One day either the bhog padarath {physical pleasures}will end or the bhoghi{consumer} will end i.e. die.

3. When the bhog padarath {physical pleasures} endthemselves this results in massive dukh{torment/grief} for the person , but when the bhoghi {person} does the tiagh{renunciation} himself of the pleasures then the three taap {three causes oftorment} will disappear in a khinn {nano second}.

4. These bhogh {indulgences} which cause hindrance orobstacles on the path to mukhti {liberation} , I have considered them to me bysanbandhi {close relatives}. Who is more mandh bhaghi {misfortunate} than me?who has become the lover/devotee of the bhogh {physical indulgences} and iskachatt {bogged down} by them at all times.{10}.

MARTRIKK SVAYEH

"AHOH SAKEH MAEH BHOGH NA BHOGEH.

BHOGHYO GHAYO AAP MAEH MOOHD.

KRAMM KRAMM HAMROH PRAKRAMM.

SAGROH LEENEH BHOGHOH BHOG AGHOODH.

BHUGTAH JAAN BHOG MAEH BHOGEH.

ULTAH BHOGAH BHOGYO MOHH.

SISNODDAR PARR BHAYU NA CHEENOH.

KEENOH MAEH NIJJAAP SOH DROH.{11}.

Ahoh sakeh= Hey friend. Moohd=fool. Kramm kramm = gradually, numerically etc. Prakamm=strength. Bhoghoh= The physical pleasures.Aghoohd=by stealth. Bhughtah= the consumer of physical pleasures. Bhoghyo=consumed physical pleasures. Sisnodhar=limbs of the body. Bhayu= of fear.Nijjaap=by them self. Droh= deceit.

Hey friend! I have not indulged in bhogh {physicalpleasures} but rather I have been the foolish victim of bhogh , i.e. thephysical pleasures have consumed me. Gradually my whole strength has beendiminished by bhogh {physical pleasures} in a stealthy manner. I had consideredmyself to be the indulger of physical pleasures but adversely they haveindulged me.

I indulged in the pleasures through my limbs , through thegenitalia , through the tongue , and to fill the stomach etc. and such did notrealise the fear of Parmatma {the creator}. I have been deceitful tomyself.{11}.

...............To be continued....................

"INDHRYA GANNH KE SANJAMM TAPP KOTAAPHYO MOH NA KABHOOTEEKH.

KAAM KRODH LOBHAAD AGGANN KARR MAEH SANTPATT BHAYHO ABBTEEHK.

KAAL CHAKKAR VATT BHRAMATT SARBDHA SEEHT USSAN BAPPDHARRVAKHYATT.

SAMMA NA BEEHTHYO HAUO HEE BEEHTYHO BHAYO VILKHANN MAMMSANGAAT."{12}.

Ghann=all. Sanjam=to stop. Santpatt= extremelyirate/tormented. Kaal=time. Chakkar=round wheel. Bhrammat=wandering around. Sarbhdah=persistently.Bapph=body. Seeht=cold. Usneh=Heat. Vikhyat=is known. Sangaat=body.

I have not engaged in the tapp {endurance} of controlling myindryia {limbs of the body}. I am under the extreme heat/torment of themetaphorical fire of kaam {lust} , krodh{anger} , lobh {greed} etc. Time isrotating perpetually like a rotating wheel and the physical body is enduringthe cold and heat.

Time has not passed but adversely I have passed , my bodyhas become vilakhan {black hair has become white , eye sight has becomepoor}.{12}.

............To be continued...............

"TRISHNAJEERAN BHAIEE NA ABB.

LAUMAEH HOOH BHAYO JARJAROH AAP.

BRIDHBHAYO DURR BUDH GAIEE NAHEH.

MAMMURR MOH YEH GUR SANTAAP.

ADHAMMKAAM MOH AVADH GHAIEE.

SABHLABHADH BHAYO ABB LAU KASH NAHEH.

HAHAHNA HAR KE PAA PAKRAEH HAR PAAP.

KAREHMAEH AHEH NISS MAIHAH."{13}.

Jeeran=old/weak.Tishnah=desire for physical/material pleasures. Jarjaroh=weak/old. Bridh=old.Durr Budh=impure intellect. Gur=mammoth. Santapp=dukh=torment/grief. Adhammkaam=low actions/immoral actions. Avadh=age. Labhadh=obtained. Abb lau= up tonow. Paah=feet/charan. Aihah niss =day and night.

Thedesire for physical pleasures has not lessened from my mind but I have reachedold age. I have become old , I have become old but the immoral/disgusting thoughts have not relinquished.This is a mammoth torment on my soul.

Myentire life has been spent on debauchery but up to now nothing has been accomplished.Haih afsos ! {sigh/regrets} I did not attach myself to the charan of Hari{meditation of the creator} but rather spent each second of the day and nightin committing paap {sins}.{13}.

SVAIYAH

"PHOOLNIBANDH SUGANDH RAHASS KOH DHARAT JOH SABB SVATAMM CHEENOH"

TEDHANN YAH BIDH RAJATT JOH BHAVV BANDHAN BRIDH KIYOH JISS KHEENEH.

SAHTTTEH SHATT VAAR PATEH NAHEH SAVATTAM CHEEN BHAYOMADH PEENOH.

HAHNARR KE TANN MOH BASS MAEH NARKEH DASBEH KAU PRAKRAM KEENOH.{14}.

Nibhindh=Religiousscriptures. Rahass=core/central theme , sidanth. Savattam=own soul.Cheenoh=come to know/understand. Teh dhan=those people are great. Rajjat=arepresent. Kheenoh=destroy. Sahtt=fools. Shatt vaar= a hundred times. Patteh =have read. Maddh=ego. Peenoh=tyrant/strong. Hah=sigh. Basbeh=for taking abode.Prakram=courage/strength.

Thereligious scriptures are akin to flowers , the core/central theme is thesughandhi {sweet fragrance}. Those who absorb the core theme of these Granths{sacred text} , they in every way have recognised/discovered their atma {soul}.Those people are dhan {great} who through this technique come to know thesidanth {core theme} of these Granth{sacred text} and live/take abode in this world. They have destroyed theexcessive attachment of materialism.

I themoorakh {fool} have read these Granths {sacred text} hundreds of times but havenot come to recognise my atma {soul} , but rather I have been gripped by the strongholdof hankaar {ego}.

Haih!{sigh} I have taken abode in manukah sareer {human body} but have only done thedeeds that will take me to narak {hell}.{14}.

KABITT

"BRAMHGYAN KE VIVEKHI VIMMAL MANEEKHA JAKHEE,

AHOHDUH KRIYAH THAIEE PAIYOHDRAVYEH TYAGHEH HAIH.

BHOJJANKI RAAS KOH AAVASS DHAN TE UDHAAS JAATEH,

BHOGHOHTEH NIRAASA ATMANRAAGEH HAIH.

AADHMAEH NA PRAPATT APRAPPAT IDHAANI VITT,

DHRIDDHANPRATEET HAMM AAGEH KASH PAAGEH HAIH.

ISHAHMATR DHAN KE IKATTAR KOH NA TYAGH SAKEH,

VAHIVADBAGH HAMAREH BHAAGH BHAAGH BHAAGHEH HAIH.{15}.

Vimal=pure.Maneekah=intellect. Ahoh=surprising/awesome. Duhkriyiah=difficult tasks.Payhoh=obtained. Dravyeh=wealth. Raas=bounty/riches. Avaas=house.Niraas=udhaas=saddened/renounced. Atamanraageh=lovers/devotees of atam saroop.Aadh meh=in the first era/time/past etc. Aprapatt=not obtained. Idhaani= inthis time/era. Vitt=wealth. Paageh=will be obtained. Bhaagheh=finished/gone.

Thepeople who are of Bramh Gyan {divine knowledge} whose budhi {intellect} is voidof the filth of sinful desires , it is of utmost amazement that they have donethe tyagh {renunciation} of the extremely difficult to obtain material wealth. Theyremain udhaas {detached} from these physical pleasures} as a result of whichthey have no desires for them and are only premi {lovers/devotees} of Aatmasaroop {soul}. The dhan {material wealth} that I did not acquire in earliertimes , I still remain without it and it cannot be said with any certaintywhether it will be acquired in the future.

Onlythe abundant wealth of desires has been accumulated the tyagh {renunciation} ofwhich could not be done , that is why they are of vadeh bhaagh {highlyfortunate} and my bhaagh {fortune} has diminished.{15}.

ANAGSEKHAR SHANDH

"JAACHJAACH KE AHAAR NAHIH SOH PEH SVAADH VAAR.

LAABHHOHT EK VAAR BHOOKH TAAP KOH AVAAR.

SAINNBHOOM PAEH BANOH NA SAAK SAINN KOH GANNOH.

SAREERMATTR POKHNOH NA JOBNOH SUPADH VAAR.

KHEENCHEERGOH DARHEE ANEK LEER SOH,

KARKARRIUJAAR CHAUPRIADHAINN GRANTH VAAR VAAR.

HAIHHAIH BHOGH CHAIHEH NAHEH MAEH TAJEH,

AJEHMORR CHITT BAELL KOH SVAAR BAEL KE SVAAR.{16}.

Jaachkeh=obtainby asking. Ahaar=food/subsistence. Sohp=them too. Laabh hoht=is obtained.Bhookh taap=the torment of hunger. Avaar=not going away. Sainn=sleeping.Poknoh=to fill. Sopaidh vaar=white. Khann cheer=torn clothes. Karree=made.Chaupree=dwelling made of straw etc. Adhaian=reads/studies. Morr=mine.Svaar=organise in an orderly manner. Bael svaar=Shiv Ji.

I amrequesting food from one home to another and even that is tasteless. In thetwenty four hour period I only obtain food once , I have no family or relativehere and no one knows me here either. The subsistence of my body is barelypossible , youth has gone and the hair has turned white as a result of old age.

Thereis a ghodhree {coat etc.} made from torn rags and for shelter there is achaupree {of straw and twigs} in the wilderness , and I read dharmik Granths{sacred scriptures} over and over again.

Haihafsos ! {sigh} haih afsos! I still haven't abandoned the desire of physicalpleasures , heh {oh} the traveller on the baldd {ox i.e. Shiv Ji}! pleaserectify/organise/cleanse the metaphorical ox of my mind.{16}.

DOHRA

"ALANGHBHARTT VAIRAAG KOH BHAYOH DOOSROH DHAIYEH.

NINDHYOHBHOOPH SVAAP KOH KAYANAAR SVABHAIY."{17}.

Alangh=completed.Svaap=on its own. Kalyanaar=the enemy of mukti=liberation. Subhaiy=badtemperament.

Thesecond adhaiy {chapter} of Bharthari Ji's Vairaag Shatak has been completed inwhich Raja Bharthari does the nindiah {slander} of himself for being a dushman{enemy} of mukti {liberation} and for possessing a impure temperament.

ITTDOOJAH ADAIY.{second Chapter}.