Sikh Channel & Dudley Protest

Looks like lots of bad press over this thanks to a few who took things into their own hands, their actions have overshadowed the larger peaceful protest. Despite the protocol issued to ensure a peaceful protest some people went against this (despite the goading by the party idiots, people should have kept their kewl), they have done Sikhs in the UK no favours.

Maybe next time Panj Singh can issue the protocol and then if anyone wants to flout this they will be just like those flouting the Akal Takht sandesh.

The guys who acted violently have done the panth a great disservice and undone alot of the hard work that goes into making the satkar campaign credable and legit, and bridging the gap between amritdhari and sehajdhari Sikhs and with the wider community including the indiginous white population and also completely wrecks the relationship with the police. They are completely selfish and happy to persue their demands at whatever cost and with no regard to the consquences or damage that they do to either themselves or the wider community. They are highly irresponsible.

As a note. During the Jaito morchas against the British and Singh Sabha reform protests, Sikhs took a pledge of non-violence and stuck to it despite extreme provocation from the British, which resulted in beatings, shootings and death, however, they did not flinch and did not behave violently. It is a shame that our protests have become highjacked by irresponsible nutters who want to cause trouble and have no self control.

The guys who acted violently have done the panth a great disservice and undone alot of the hard work that goes into making the satkar campaign credable and legit, and bridging the gap between amritdhari and sehajdhari Sikhs and with the wider community including the indiginous white population and also completely wrecks the relationship with the police. They are completely selfish and happy to persue their demands at whatever cost and with no regard to the consquences or damage that they do to either themselves or the wider community. They are highly irresponsible.

As a note. During the Jaito morchas against the British and Singh Sabha reform protests, Sikhs took a pledge of non-violence and stuck to it despite extreme provocation from the British, which resulted in beatings, shootings and death, however, they did not flinch and did not behave violently. It is a shame that our protests have become highjacked by irresponsible nutters who want to cause trouble and have no self control.

Do you really think that you would have received this result from a peacefull demonstration, come on. What could have happened is that no violence would have occured and we would then look at a protest every week, until a resolution, could we have kept this up is the question.

I agree the violence was not good and should not have happened, but ultimatley the committee are responsible for this. Those injured need to ask, why were they, the committee, defiant.

So let me get this straight....a group of Sikhs go to Dudley to protest that premises owned by the local Gurdwara were being used to stage celebratory parties where non-religious music was being played and alcohol and meat were being consumed by the party-goers.  

For the vast majority of the protest it was peaceful and admirable, (6 hours worth of it as some people have stated).  The Sikhs protesting believed that the Hall was the property of Guru ji and therefore such property should not be used to hold such parties, (as per sandesh by the Akal Takhat).

THEN you get a few of these ‘Sikh’ protesters who force their way into the Hall (Guru ji’s property) and they start to trash it and smash Guru ji’s windows....they don’t do seva in there...by cleaning the place up...by removing the alcohol etc...oh no...they decide to throw pots of meat and other foods all over the floor and smash a few windows in.

Now IF this is the case, IF the CCTV shows this to be the case, THEN I hope the police/courts throw the book at them.

Not only have they done beadbi of Guru ji's property by falling into  Kroodh and stupidity, not only have they ruined the 6 hours worth of peaceful protest effort, but they've done the bearsty of the Sikh community by making out the Sikhs to be a bunch of thugs in the national papers.

And what makes this even more laughably tragic is that the tw**  who hosts the Sikh Youth Discussion show on the Sikh Channel has said the Panth will pay for ANY charges that the police put upon these vandals.

Yeah you heard me right...Guru ji's Panth will pay the charges for those who vandalised Guru ji's property!!

What a plonker!!

I think some Sikhs are finding it difficult to reconcile the Saint-Soldier aspect of Gursikhi. When do you chill out and leave it all to God? When do you rise and fight for the truth even at the cost of personal safety and reputation?

I think this is one of the reasons the "rioting" Sikhs took matters into their hands. Some might say they allowed their base emotions to get the better of them. On the other hand, some might say they did what a true Sikh should always do and fight for what is right.

I think some Sikhs are finding it difficult to reconcile the Saint-Soldier aspect of Gursikhi. When do you chill out and leave it all to God? When do you rise and fight for the truth even at the cost of personal safety and reputation?

I think this is one of the reasons the "rioting" Sikhs took matters into their hands. Some might say they allowed their base emotions to get the better of them. On the other hand, some might say they did what a true Sikh should always do and fight for what is right.

Where does trashing Guru Ji's property come into the Saint-Soldier aspect of Gursikhi?

And what makes this even more laughably tragic is that the tw** who hosts the Sikh Youth Discussion show on the Sikh Channel has said the Panth will pay for ANY charges that the police put upon these vandals.

Yeah you heard me right...Guru ji's Panth will pay the charges for those who vandalised Guru ji's property!!

What a plonker!!

Know that was stupid, openly supporting those that broke the Law and on TV !!!!!

Do you really think that you would have received this result from a peacefull demonstration, come on. What could have happened is that no violence would have occured and we would then look at a protest every week, until a resolution, could we have kept this up is the question.

I agree the violence was not good and should not have happened, but ultimatley the committee are responsible for this. Those injured need to ask, why were they, the committee, defiant.

The commitee are idiots. We know that. That is obvious. But you are playing a very dangerous game by justifying violence. You may have the immediate satisfaction of victory but the damage done goes far beyond this incident. Look at the round up of the press, all bad press. Look at the wedge created between sehajdhari and amritdhari Sikhs. Look at the image of Sikhs in the media being compared to Taliban/muslim extremists, look at how the British public view us. How does this help our campaign to allow Sikhs to freely wear the kirpan, if we are viewed as violent thugs? You guys are making no friends by acting violently. It would be ok if you didnt care about the consequences of your actions because you thought that you were standing up for righteous ness, however, unfortunately, your actions (or the people you are defending) have a major impact on the whole community.

Not to mention that there are rumours that the committee now wants press charges against the culprits and go against their written promises, and are refusing to engage in any kind of meeting or mediation with any Sikh body.

Its not looking good at all.

there are no place for emotions in this kind of campaign. If you cant control yourself, then you should just stay at home and stay out of trouble. This is a tactical and strategic campaign that must be played a certain way. Loose cannons, trouble makers, or overly emotional zealots should not be welcome at this kind of rally because all they do is ruin it. Some ruin it because they are just idiots and have the warped view that it is the right thing to do, and others ruin it because they cant control themselves, and others just dont think before they act. It doesnt really matter what their motive for engaging in violence, the fact is that they ruin it in the end.

This is a long haul, campaign for satkaar, that must be achieved through education, lobbying, protesting, and mediation. It requires patience and a high level of discipline in the face of sometimes extreme provocation and frustration. If you cant hack it, then I suggest you stay away (not you personally).