1984 Rally - Improvements For 2012

ONE humble request is we need to LEARN how to reply to Jakaras be it bole so nihal raj karega khalsa khalistan zindabad or wjkk wjkf

Everytime there was a fateh or jakara in the square it was a dead lull one as if we are sleep hardly any josh,some feel embarrased to reply with the full might but with the might there is no point in a Jakarah - that should be a in the list of the top improvements ,speakers should not have to appeal for louder jakarahs

ONE humble request is we need to LEARN how to reply to Jakaras be it bole so nihal raj karega khalsa khalistan zindabad or wjkk wjkf

Everytime there was a fateh or jakara in the square it was a dead lull one as if we are sleep hardly any josh,some feel embarrased to reply with the full might but with the might there is no point in a Jakarah - that should be a in the list of the top improvements ,speakers should not have to appeal for louder jakarahs

i think this is because there was alot of newbies.

And what do you think the average member of the public would make of 50,000 miserable depressed looking people going past ?

its not a question of looking sad or happy but behaving appropriately for the occasion. What are the Britsh public to make of 50,000 Sikhs looking cheerful, as they try to explain the massacre of their people? I have never seen any Jew looking happy when talking about the holocaust. This is a very serious occasion, its not a picnic.

And another thing we need to do, is to make sure that Gurdwaras focus on giving a decent program on 84. Our gurdwara just did a sanjha akhand paath with the martyrdom of Guru Arjan Dev Ji, but never once told about what actually happened in June 84.

its not a question of looking sad or happy but behaving appropriately for the occasion. What are the Britsh public to make of 50,000 Sikhs looking cheerful, as they try to explain the massacre of their people? I have never seen any Jew looking happy when talking about the holocaust. This is a very serious occasion, its not a picnic.

My god you really are a bit of a simpleton chatanga.

You're not a jew. You're supposed to be a sikh. They've got their own religion and traditions...we've got ours. Stop looking at theirs and gain a bit of knowledge about yours.

There's 9 million of them...30 million of us. If anything, it should be them looking to us for pointers in how to act and react.

We are Sikhs. We have a tradition of chardi kala. We have a tradition of facing death and destruction with a smile and a laugh.

The hope....on these demonstrations is to make the public passing by take an interest in sikhism and read up about sikhism. Imagine if that works and the public does indeed read up about sikhism. The textbooks are gonna tell him that sikhs are brave warriors that are always in high spirits.....facing even death with joy. How the hell is that gonna fit in with your own personal manic depressive version of sikhi Chatanga ?

I think it would be a good idea to have the Union Jack along with the Nishan Sahib or other Sikh related signage next year for the following reasons:

1) the general British public will see the Union and be more inquisitive i.e. why are they walking with our flag? This will create greater interaction and interest from those watching and hopefully result in them wanting to find out more

2) it will highlight that we are not militants or terrorists we are British Sikhs living in Britain and proud Britons looking for justice in our so-called homeland/motherland.

I believe this would show the goreh that we are not another loads of P@kis complaining/marching but an integral element of the British society that is proud of our British heritage and nationality seeking justice and support from our fellow countrymen.

I managed to attend the freedom rally this year (by the persuasion of paneer monster!), i joined the crowed from picadilly circus area and everybody looked pretty serious.

There was some sikhs shouting slogans in their language (which is fine) but for all my fellow white on-lookers who were watching, I think they were confused or curious as to what the march was about. I got a couple of 'curious' looks from them too! lol. I agree with more chanting in English and more BIG banners in English spelling out that Sikh people really are not safe in india. Perhaps if the Sikh community can bring along their non-sikh friends to next years march, that will prompt more media coverage and give out the message of support.

More leaflets should be distributed.

Overall i was amazed by the number of THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of sikhs who marched for freedom, im sure the big turn out had the Indian Gvt stressing out!

Google me!

I said Google me for god sakes!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My god you really are a bit of a simpleton chatanga.

Accepted.

We have a tradition of facing death and destruction with a smile and a laugh.

Yet here you are on a forum, instead of going to india, and facing death and destruction with a smile and a laugh.

The hope....on these demonstrations is to make the public passing bytake an interest in sikhism and read up about sikhism. Imagine if that works and the public does indeed read up about sikhism.

No Sir, the hope is to make the passing public take an interest in how the Sikhs have been discriminated and abused in India. We are not there to promote Sikhi, but to bring what has happended to us, to a wider audience. Imagine if that works and indeed people change their perception of what india actually is.

The textbooks are gonna tell him that sikhs are brave warriors that are always in high spirits.....facing even death with joy.

And he will wonder why are these brave warriors are here eating ice-creams and having a joke while blocking up London Roads, and causing an already over-stretched police force even more problems, when they could be back in their own country, facing death with joy.

Another thing we need to do to get more people there, is to encourage Sikhs and gurdwaras not to have any akhand paaths, weddings etc for that sunday. that way more people can be free. And also there are so many sikhs in london, but a bare minority made it to hyde park. we have to change that. Its right on their doorstep, they should have no problems getting there.