Can A Singh Drink Cobra Zero?

I saw a guy in a supermarket the other day, I could make out he was wearing a kirpan so more than likely he is Amritdhari. In his trolley he had bottles of Cobra Zero. I was wondering is this ok? I am assuming it was for him as people who like alcohol would not buy anything that has zero nasha.

Most drinks that are so called rated zero alocohol have 0.05% eg shandy bass

Look the minus clowns have struck me again! lol

'10 to 1' odds they do this post too. Anyone want to wager?

Come out come out...whoever you are!

Interesting question though. Is zero percent alcohol sharaab okay for amritdharis?

Not sure what cobra zero is but I would imagine the answer is no because most beers, whether alcoholic or not, are given clarification by a product called isinglass, which is fish bladder.

But your question is a good one because I recall, after watching a few episodes of 'Come Dine with me', how strict muslims had no problem whatsoever eating food cooked in wines and spirits. The man that does the voiceover (brilliant voiceover by the way) said it was because when you cook with alcohol all the alcohol is burn't off and so it is no longer haram for a muslim.

Ahhh......Stella..... the wife beater's beer of choice. A whole trolley you say! He must have been a classy fellow.

I used to drink a fair few beers before I got married and what they say about Stella being a wife beater does actually have some truth to it. You see, its not all about the alcoholic strength of the beer. The way it is made , fermented etc, creates different chemical balances in different beers. Thus.....with alot of people....the chemical balance in a stella...creates a strange chemical reaction in the brain. Different beers have different effects on different people, and I'm not talking about the alcohol strength here...I'm talking purely on the method of fermentation. Anyway, what I'm saying is that when I did used to drink alcohol, Stella did make me go a bit funny. Fortunately, at the time I had no wife to beat.

But your question is a good one because I recall, after watching a few episodes of 'Come Dine with me', how strict muslims had no problem whatsoever eating food cooked in wines and spirits. The man that does the voiceover (brilliant voiceover by the way) said it was because when you cook with alcohol all the alcohol is burn't off and so it is no longer haram for a muslim.

Surely the wine has been absorbed into whatever you're cooking be it vegetables or meat, i.e. there's still traces of alcohol in the food that's been cooked even though the wine in the pan may have evaporated?

This thread got me thinking a specific question. When guru ji banned sharaab was it the passing of the substance per se orally, or was it due to the known effects of alcohol.

I mean what if an Amritdhari theoretically took a small does of alcohol as contained in a prescribed medicine. Not enough to get you drunk say but something that was there in a tiny amount. Would they need to do pesh?

Another example could be if they use a mouthwash that contains alcohol. Obviously this isn't to drink or wouldn't effect one's state but f used would it constitute a breaking of Amrit? Just curious.

Alcohol is in quite a few products it seems. See this list.

• 11 years later...
On 6/9/2011 at 5:51 PM, dalsingh101 said:

This thread got me thinking a specific question.

1. When guru ji banned sharaab was it the passing of the substance per se orally, or was it due to the known effects of alcohol.

2) I mean what if an Amritdhari theoretically took a small does of alcohol as contained in a prescribed medicine. Not enough to get you drunk say but something that was there in a tiny amount. Would they need to do pesh?

Another example could be if they use a mouthwash that contains alcohol. Obviously this isn't to drink or wouldn't effect one's state but f used would it constitute a breaking of Amrit? Just curious.

@dallysingh101

@BhForce

1.I think it’s more about the effects, it is extremely destructive in those dependent on it and leads to people doing all kinds of trouble which they wouldn’t otherwise as well as violent crime

2. Have no idea but would like to know

On 6/9/2011 at 12:51 PM, dalsingh101 said:

This thread got me thinking a specific question. When guru ji banned sharaab was it the passing of the substance per se orally, or was it due to the known effects of alcohol.

I mean what if an Amritdhari theoretically took a small does of alcohol as contained in a prescribed medicine. Not enough to get you drunk say but something that was there in a tiny amount. Would they need to do pesh?

Something I wonder is Nihangs and their use of Bhang, it's always been used for medical purposes; even though now people are just drinking it left and right. No one has peshed for Sukha, so I doubt it would be a problem for them, but for most mainstream Singh Sabha Sikhs, it would cause an uproar if an amritdhari was taking it.