Healthy Snack!

JSinghN

I was 155 in 2006 and now i weigh WHOLE 192 pounds :| Been trying a lot to go back to at least below 170 but hard to do that.. Right now i am on strict calorie intake diet (1600/day but planning for 1200/day later on). I am keeping away from sugar products and all type of fatty food. Though hard but it sure is taking time. My parents raised us on strict fat free products.. we never used butter/ghee or those type of stuff.. Always on fat free milk or fat free cheese (rarely use em) and kept away from soda and so on.. BUT still i gained the weight maybe because of lack of exercise or my wife spoiled me lol...

I can stay whole day without eating anything but when i eat.. i eat a lot.. (ex. i don't keep 3 meal a day stuff.. just eat once or twice a day)..

As snack, I often take garnola bar, small v8 tomato can juice and kashi cereal whenever i feel something to eat.. gatorade instead of soda etc.. Im also putting limit on eating outside except subway sandwiches etc...

i walk a lot between my classes so i am not exactly couch potato lol .. reason is that i don't exactly have much time.. i am thinking of stationary bike but still in deciding mode.. Now my question is.. Can i loose weight without joining gym?

I was 155 in 2006 and now i weigh WHOLE 192 pounds :| Been trying a lot to go back to at least below 170 but hard to do that.. Right now i am on strict calorie intake diet (1600/day but planning for 1200/day later on). I am keeping away from sugar products and all type of fatty food. Though hard but it sure is taking time. My parents raised us on strict fat free products.. we never used butter/ghee or those type of stuff.. Always on fat free milk or fat free cheese (rarely use em) and kept away from soda and so on.. BUT still i gained the weight maybe because of lack of exercise or my wife spoiled me lol...

I can stay whole day without eating anything but when i eat.. i eat a lot.. (ex. i don't keep 3 meal a day stuff.. just eat once or twice a day)..

As snack, I often take garnola bar, small v8 tomato can juice and kashi cereal whenever i feel something to eat.. gatorade instead of soda etc.. Im also putting limit on eating outside except subway sandwiches etc...

i walk a lot between my classes so i am not exactly couch potato lol .. reason is that i don't exactly have much time.. i am thinking of stationary bike but still in deciding mode.. Now my question is.. Can i loose weight without joining gym?

The human body is a complex thing, its chemical balances are so finely tuned that they require a good deal of understanding in order to maintain good health. Every type of diet will affect the body in ways which cannot be seen.

You can easily lose weight without joining the gym, you just need the desire to become fit. To lose weight you will need to replace your energy stores away from your food intake. Your body uses the carbohydrates you eat on a day to day basis to fuel your movement, so to make your body use its fat stores you need to cut down on your carb intake. Carbs should be eaten in the morning, best is porridge (dalliya) and a banana, and the rest of the day you should stay away from carbs. Replace with proteins, lentins, cottage cheese, salads, fruits etc. Vegetarians have the biggest issue with this as there are few dishes which can make up a complete meal and still be protein rich.

So to get over this, maintain a healthy diet but eat one quarter less than what you normally would. Replace white breads, white roti, white rice with wholemeal alternatives as they are not refined and loaded with sugars. Reduce the ghee in your sabziya, and don’t butter your rotiya. All these small things add to you gaining weight.

Drink plenty of water and avoid fizzy drinks, avoid even the drinks which are “diet” as the replacement sweetners in there are dangerous to your health. Avoid crisps and any other snacks, instead replace with natural foods such as raw unsalted nuts, and dry fruits.

Keep your intake of food small and regular, 5 small meals a day is better then 1 massive one in the evening. Imagine putting items through a machine bit by bit and the machine will chew it up no problem, put a whole pile through and the machine will grind to a halt. The same happens with your body. As long as the intake of food is small and light, your metabolism will maintain high if you start the day off with breakfast (Not alloo walleh pronteh!)

Top the whole diet with a strict exercise regime of varying types, Dand Behtaks are the best exercise for anyone to lose weight and gain mass, these should be done for 30 minutes each day without fail. Add to that long distance running, dynamic weight lifting such as deadlift to snatch to shoulder press, deadlift to snatch to squat and kettlebell snatches to raise the heartrates. Put an evening to going for a run, swimming, or cycling.

Making a start is the hardest thing to do, but once you do it becomes easier, your diet will automatically become cleaner because you want to be healthy, and your dedication to training will increase. If the body is the mandir for your aatma, then the body should be looked after. Those people who claim to be bhagats or devotees of god and are fat, are only fooling themselves. A fat person shows that he has too much desire to eat and cannot control his indriya/senses, if he cannot control his indriya how can he settle his mind to focus upon Paramatma. Above all that, a good clean healthy natural diet will help towards your spiritual journey as the mind is cleared of all imbalances created by modern day processed foods.

I dont know why people i meet think that in order to lose weight they need to join a gym! i did my own research into various exercises found the one that i would like to do and keep doing over a long period i.e. one year and as a result i lost 4 stone. so no u dont need to join a gym BUT you do need to sort out ur diet first and foremost....theres no point exercising if ur still eating more that u burn calories otherwise it just defeats the purpose of getting into shape....you have to remember muscles are made in the kitchen and not the gym!!!

On a side not there should be a section here regarding health and fitness, we go on and on about being a saint/soldier but no one gives advice as to how to become a soldier too.....as soldiers have to be physically fit as well as mentally.....

In regards to the question about joining the gym...I admit, I have never stepped foot inside a gym in my life. I was over weight but lost 2 stone over summer the year before last, mostly by chnaging my diet but also through simple excersizes such as behtka, squats on the spot jogging etc..now that ive lost most of the fat I want to fully tone up so once again I wont be joining the gym. Instead im doing a workout called "insanity" by Shaun T. Its extreamlyyy intense but even if you dont want to follow through with this workout if you watch the videos they can give you good ideas of excersizes you can do at home with no equipment.

And yes, I think a general health section would be benefitial for most of us! I do hope admins create one soon :D

awesome replies.. i am gonna keep up with strict diet and then see how it goes..

Regarding special health/fitness section up on his forum is very nice idea but i don't think we will have enough topics/traffic under that section.. However i will discuss it with other team members and see if we can make a room for health/fitness subforum..

I will say that to see results and improve one's health, we must be prepared to step outside our respective comfort zones. Whilst I appreciate there's no need to pump iron Arnie-style, exercise of any sort should not be discounted so easily. Diet will only take you so far. Exercise is the key to improving health and maintaining decent fitness levels.

The classic phrase "No pain, no gain" was coined for a reason. Whilst we shouldn't take this to the extreme, regular exercise is nothing to be ashamed of. Of course, there's the genetic freaks who are naturally fit and have low metabolism and therefore possibly don't need to exercise as much as the rest of us. But if laziness is an excuse not to get a heavy sweat on, we as Sikhs should understand we are a physical, active people who shouldn't be looking to become inert and inactive because we can't bear to put our bodies through some discomfort.

Who knows what the future holds? There may come a day when those of us in the west will have to get up and run or fight for survival. This may be a doomsday scenario but I'd rather be ready for action (whatever "action" is) than wait for someone to help me because I've ensconced myself in the apparent luxury of a dormant western civilization.

Diet will only take you so far. Exercise is the key to improving health and maintaining decent fitness levels.
Diet is about 70-75% of the efforts for a large majority :)
there's the genetic freaks who are naturally fit and have low metabolism and therefore possibly don't need to exercise as much as the rest of us
I think you mean HIGH metabolism, not low. People with low metabolism gain weight very easily while the ones with high can seemingly eat everything in sight still not gain weight. Also, just because one is skinny does not mean they are fit.

• 2 weeks later...

Diet is about 70-75% of the efforts for a large majority :)

Percentages maybe true but not wishing to exercise and hoping diet weaves its magic is laziness and not a reflection on the results that exercise can achieve. Exercise is not a dirty word. Now, if some can't be bothered to do it, that's their choice.

I think you mean HIGH metabolism, not low. People with low metabolism gain weight very easily while the ones with high can seemingly eat everything in sight still not gain weight. Also, just because one is skinny does not mean they are fit.

Yeah 'high'. Got them mixed up (somehow, lol). Also agree with "skinny = not necessarily fit" too. I was trying to summarise quickly. :D