Healthy Snack!

JSinghN

Well im trying to lose weight atm and i have been successful in that area having lost 4 stone so far! BUT im trying to think of a snack i could eat everyday without it being high in calories....so i thought wholemeal pitta bread with cucumber, lettuce and tomatoes would be good....but as a spread would hummous/hummus be healthy!? if so which brand of hummous would sangat recommend i.e. from tesco or anywhere else?

First off, many congratulations on shedding the pounds!

Even though I'm personally not a fan of snacks, the best snack you can have is the one loaded with vegetables. More veggies the better as they are high in fiber (which will keep you feeling full longer) and very low in calories (which is always a good thing). As per Wikipedia, Hummus seems quite good for you.

Hummus is high in iron and vitamin C and also has significant amounts of folate and vitamin B6.[16] The chickpeas make it a good source of protein and dietary fiber; the tahini consists mostly of sesame seeds, which are an excellent source of the amino acid methionine, complementing the proteins in the chickpeas. Depending on the recipe, hummus carries varying amounts of monounsaturated fat.[17] Hummus is useful in vegetarian and vegan diets; like other combinations of grains and pulses, it serves as a complete protein when eaten with bread.

I would highly recommend that you schedule your meals in such a way that you don't need to have snacks. In the past when I was more into fitness, I used to eat 5 small meals per day. Not once did I need to have a snack.

Fateh paji, congrats on how well ur doing!! Keep it up!!

I love eating low calorie hummous with low calorie wholegrain crackers....I usually buy this tesco own brand low calorie ones they come in a stack of three little pots each a different flavour n theyr all low cal. I find then gud cuz theyr small n u don't get carried away even tho it's so tastey!

On the back of my protein shake it actually gave low cal hummous nd crackers as an idea for a snack so that's where I got into eating it from :D

What does hummus taste like? I've been given the go-ahead to start training again after a long time out, and I've got to shift some pounds.

My vegetable and fruit in-take is spot-on and I try and avoid the excessive fat and greasy pitfalls of an Indian diet. I'm just getting tired of eating the same (albeit healthy) food over and over.

Hummus is nice (I think so anyway). It's just chickpeas (chitay chana) mushed with some garlic and olive and some spices/herbs. You can make a 'desi' version with chana daal too.

I love the Moroccan version you can get in Sainsburys. It has more 'spice'.

Yeh I agree it tastes really nice and my brother and sister love it too as a dip for crisps and things....

I hope JSinghN doesnt mind me hijacking his thread but while we're on the topic of healthy food and workout etc.. can anyone suggest any good meat/egg free high protien meals? I eat alot of those linda mcartny sossages which have 11.3g protein and 101 calories per sossage, and use soya mince and chunks with stirfry vegetables etc but its gettin abit old now... any suggestions of high fibre and protein vege things we can try?

Yeh I agree it tastes really nice and my brother and sister love it too as a dip for crisps and things....

I hope JSinghN doesnt mind me hijacking his thread but while we're on the topic of healthy food and workout etc.. can anyone suggest any good meat/egg free high protien meals? I eat alot of those linda mcartny sossages which have 11.3g protein and 101 calories per sossage, and use soya mince and chunks with stirfry vegetables etc but its gettin abit old now... any suggestions of high fibre and protein vege things we can try?

You read my mind, bhenji! I'm also looking for high protein foodstuffs and / or meals without meat and egg, and everyone keeps suggesting cheese which has too much fat for my liking.

I'm not after any Linda McCartney stuff as thats processed food and I'm trying to stay away from that kind of area. Something fresh / raw that can be cooked would be ideal

I also make 3 soya indian sabji/daal which i find yummy! ...i dont know if you cook but with soya mince you can make a sabji with chopped cabbage and cook the two its reallyy tasteyy and you can cook sabji in a healthy way with just a spoon or so of olive oil in the whole sabji...also make tharri type daal with soya beans (you can even eat these beans raw after boiling them in water until soft, they taste good raw!)...or soya chunks you can buy from indian shops and make thari type with them too....I cook these myself so I can assure you they one use onions, a tiny bit of oil just to cook the onions etc...the hard thing with indian home made food is i can never be sure what the nutritional value is, but i think 2 spoons oil between a family of 6 cant hurt :s

Erm as far as unprocessed foods...I cant think of anything else raw :rolleyes2: :strong: