Messed Up In The Head

Guest Turbanated

You got to control your anger don't give a second thought about what other people think. Turn a blind eye and just think it's their loss. It's in their karam don't be angry with them. Show them humility and their hatred towards you into respect.

When I started work this goree just stared right at me for a while. I could tell she was thinking something like "why on earth is she wearing that rag". I couldn't help but feel angry inside but then I thought to my self I'm not going to get worked over it. I'm proud of my faith and I'm happy with my appearance as a gursikh. I wouldnt change it for the world.

Turbanated try to stay in sangat and read up some research o puratan singhs. Build up that thirst and pyaar for Sikhi. Because once you have that love and realisation about Sikhi you won't worry about how people stare at you etc, which will help you control your anger.

Everyone is affected by the Panj chore, some more than others. Try read some more bani do more simran. It wont work over night. Dont give up just because of people's reactions. Do ardaas and stay in sangat.

Guest Turbanated

Kaur, you're right about when that pyar and genuine thirst for sikhi is there, we won't worry about these things. I used to be close to that around 6 years ago but its not like that any more. I feel kind of dead to sikhi alot of the time. Theres not much interest and love there. Guess I got to read more bani but it doesn;t always sink in, feels like i'm just reading it.

Anyway, thanks for that.

Guest Angr trip

I feel fo u bro cz i git angry all time over minors. Dunno y just ego gitin 2me. But ye look like u nd pro help bro cz u flipin xtreem styl . U eva dun any hard stuf eva cz dat wil 4sho leav u messd

Guest Turbanated

Angr trip,

No, I'm glad I've never done any drugs. I had a friend who was doing weed and yeah, you're right, it can mess with you. Made him a schizophrenic officially. You're probably right, I may need to see some professional about this.

For the original poster, just a thought - are you sure that they are lookin at you with disgust? I am not amritdhari myself yet, but whenever I see a young singh or singhni in a dastaar I do look over at them, maybe more then I would at anyone else. This is because I think they look amazing, and I am in awe of them. Hoping that I can be like them too.

Guest Turbanated

For the original poster, just a thought - are you sure that they are lookin at you with disgust? I am not amritdhari myself yet, but whenever I see a young singh or singhni in a dastaar I do look over at them, maybe more then I would at anyone else. This is because I think they look amazing, and I am in awe of them. Hoping that I can be like them too.

Thats you, doesn't mean no one else looks with bad intentions. Maybe sometimes, my perception is misconstrued, but I've experienced it other times where I am 100 per cent sure, like a bunch of girls looking at me, pointing, laughing and then giving me looks of hate from a bus. Same goes for geezers too.

Nah, some of you don't get it.

Sunsingh, i'm not necessarily interested in these women (i am sometimes but its not the point), its the look i get from them while i'm walking past them or whatever. Why should I be getting so much hate, what have i done? Thats what ticks me off.

Passing Cloud, I don't want to be hated. Its not a good feeling. I don't want to remove my kes to remove peoples hatred but to avoid feeling like a bomb which is about to go off. What you say about skin colour and still not being accepted is true though, I imagined that myself.

Kaljugi, I feel my sikh - ness has contributed to my mental problems. I'm sorry i'm not as blessed as you and have the strength to look passed them.

i have found, in my own life, that if you accept yourself other people will accept you far more often. they will hate on you far less.

as for some of the posh types, they may hate more than goray, but that's b/c they a bit of an inferiority complex. they want to consider themselves full sikhs, call themselves ''modern sikhs'' and call us old fashioned. deep down they know that's <banned word filter activated>, but they pile on the hate and lies to justify it to themselves. the only way to deal with these people is to ignore them, and live your life the best you can.

another thing, my life improved when i started going to the gurdwara every day no matter what. even if i didn't really feel like it, i would just go in, metha tekh, and leave, just to have a daily routine going. if you do that and pray every day for maharaj to keep your sikhi siddhik and keep you in chardi kala, you will succeed. if anyone acts like sikhi is cool but you have doubts after hanging out with them, that means that on some level they want you to change for them b/c they are too small to accept it. i felt better after i ditched such so called friends. sangat is everything.

also, to help you out, even though you don't need it and can get by using simran seva and satsangat, i recommend bach's flower remedies. they work on an emotional level and can improve confidence and self acceptance. there are different remedies for different issues. feelbach.com gives good descriptions. google around and you can find these preserved in apple cider vinegar instead of alcohol. there are no side effects. just bani alone could help, but i'm putting this up for other people reading the thread, as i've noticed that some people just won't make the effort to do paath when they feel down (not referring to you here).

Bro,

From the description and details in your initial post, it seemed apparent that you have a mental health issue. You then shared that you in fact have a history of mental health issues, which makes it even more likely or obvious.

There are many who are simply too week to accept sikhi. They may post something similar, yet different. Your details suggest something else; that you need to get professional help.

Think of this help for YOU, regardless of faith. Sikhi, whether you're a part of it or not, would care enough to see you get help. I believe Sikhi at it's core is the most amazing medicine to supplement any issues, but that's me... you may or may not be at the same place at some time, but get help.

One's mind and emotions are very complex. You don't require a diagnosis or be on meds to have mental health issues. Your personality may heighten or lessen your mental health issues, but the issues still exist on their own and need attention. You are probably young as well... please see someone soon.

A piece of advice on getting support from mental health professionals; when you are doing so, you can be vulnerable. These professionals are like surgeons with a knife and introduced to an open heart surgery in progress. There are many practitioners with limited competency, regardless of status/acheivement. Be careful, get second opinions and research things yourself. Ask questions, establish and feel trust. Avoid those who talk down to you, even with established and 'respected' professionals. Exercise, Meditate, Eat Right. If the Sikhi can empower you, use it.