What Do Sangat This Of This ... Waheguru Dance :S ?

tj.singh

does Gurmat allow dancing? this is the question - i personally don't have enough knowledge to answer this question - but one thing i would like to say is that no mahapurkh that i know of has ever danced around and yet been known in the world as a saint - gurbani says nachieh tapieh bagat na hoe "dancing and jumping around will not make you a saint".

Personally i believe the gurmukh dances spiritually within and this is the dancing of Gurmat teachings.

Watch a Christian sermon and there praising the Lord with music and you won't know the difference between this video and the Christians. Only difference here is that they are saying Waheguru. There is not one shabad of Maharaj that tells a Sikh to praise Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj by dancing. IF saying Waheguru with instruments is really making them dance or say jump around, then why not without the instruments. IF saying Waheguru gives a person's body such a rush that a person starts dancing then they can produce the same without the instruments. Gurbani in kirtan form and when it is read, does the same thing to the person. It cools the body's heat, gets the mind in check and focuses the mind on Sri Waheguru ji Maharaj.

this shabad explains how somones mun dances infront of guru for goodness, then its ok.. >naach, re mun, gur ke aagai<

and then at the same time, we are to understand that if we do it in the world of maya, i.e. pointlessly, then its crap.

gUjrI mhlw 3 Gru 1

goojaree mehalaa 3 ghar 1

Goojaree, Third Mehl, First House:

<> siqgur pRswid ]

ik oankaar sathigur prasaadh |

One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru:

inriq krI iehu mnu ncweI ]

nirath karee eihu man nachaaee |

I dance, and make this mind dance as well.

gur prswdI Awpu gvweI ]

gur parasaadhee aap gavaaee |

By Guru's Grace, I eliminate my self-conceit.

icqu iQru rwKY so mukiq hovY jo ieCI soeI Plu pweI ]1]

chith thir raakhai so mukath hovai jo eishee soee fal paaee |1|

One who keeps his consciousness focused on the Lord is liberated; he obtains the fruits of his desires. ||1||

nwcu ry mn gur kY AwgY ]

naach rae man gur kai aagai |

So dance, O mind, before your Guru.

gur kY BwxY nwcih qw suKu pwvih AMqy jm Bau BwgY ] rhwau ]

gur kai bhaanai naachehi thaa sukh paavehi anthae jam bho bhaagai | rehaao |

If you dance according to the Guru's Will, you shall obtain peace, and in the end, the fear of death shall leave you. ||Pause||

Awip ncwey so Bgqu khIAY Awpxw ipAwru Awip lwey ]

aap nachaaeae so bhagath keheeai aapanaa piaar aap laaeae |

One whom the Lord Himself causes to dance, is called a devotee. He Himself links us to His Love.

Awpy gwvY Awip suxwvY iesu mn AMDy kau mwrig pwey ]2]

aapae gaavai aap sunaavai eis man andhae ko maarag paaeae |2|

He Himself sings, He Himself listens, and He puts this blind mind on the right path. ||2||

Anidnu nwcY skiq invwrY isv Gir nId n hoeI ]

anadhin naachai sakath nivaarai siv ghar needh n hoee |

One who dances night and day, and banishes Shakti's Maya, enters the House of the Lord Shiva, where there is no sleep.

skqI Gir jgqu sUqw nwcY twpY Avro gwvY mnmuiK Bgiq n hoeI ]3]

sakathee ghar jagath soothaa naachai ttaapai avaro gaavai manamukh bhagath n hoee |3|

The world is asleep in Maya, the house of Shakti; it dances, jumps and sings in duality. The self-willed manmukh has no devotion. ||3||

suir nr ivriq piK krmI nwcy muin jn igAwn bIcwrI ]

sur nar virath pakh karamee naachae mun jan giaan beechaaree |

The angels, mortals, renunciates, ritualists, silent sages and beings of spiritual wisdom dance.

isD swiDk ilv lwgI nwcy ijn gurmuiK buiD vIcwrI ]4]

sidh saadhik liv laagee naachae jin guramukh budh veechaaree |4|

The Siddhas and seekers, lovingly focused on the Lord, dance, as do the Gurmukhs, whose minds dwell in reflective meditation. ||4||

KMf bRhmMf qRY gux nwcy ijn lwgI hir ilv qumwrI ]

khandd brehamandd thrai gun naachae jin laagee har liv thumaaree |

The planets and solar systems dance in the three qualities, as do those who bear love for You, Lord.

jIA jMq sBy hI nwcy nwcih KwxI cwrI ]5]

jeea janth sabhae hee naachae naachehi khaanee chaaree |5|

The beings and creatures all dance, and the four sources of creation dance. ||5||

jo quDu Bwvih syeI nwcih ijn gurmuiK sbid ilv lwey ]

jo thudh bhaavehi saeee naachehi jin guramukh sabadh liv laaeae |

They alone dance, who are pleasing to You, and who, as Gurmukhs, embrace love for the Word of the Shabad.

sy Bgq sy qqu igAwnI ijn kau hukmu mnwey ]6]

sae bhagath sae thath giaanee jin ko hukam manaaeae |6|

They are devotees, with the essence of spiritual wisdom, who obey the Hukam of His Command. ||6||

eyhw Bgiq scy isau ilv lwgY ibnu syvw Bgiq n hoeI ]

eaehaa bhagath sachae sio liv laagai bin saevaa bhagath n hoee |

This is devotional worship, that one loves the True Lord; without service, one cannot be a devotee.

jIvqu mrY qw sbdu bIcwrY qw scu pwvY koeI ]7]

jeevath marai thaa sabadh beechaarai thaa sach paavai koee |7|

If one remains dead while yet alive, he reflects upon the Shabad, and then, he obtains the True Lord. ||7||

mwieAw kY AriQ bhuqu lok nwcy ko ivrlw qqu bIcwrI ]

maaeiaa kai arath bahuth lok naachae ko viralaa thath beechaaree |

So many people dance for the sake of Maya; how rare are those who contemplate reality.

gur prswdI soeI jnu pwey ijn kau ik®pw qumwrI ]8]

gur parasaadhee soee jan paaeae jin ko kirapaa thumaaree |8|

By Guru's Grace, that humble being obtains You, Lord, upon whom You show Mercy. ||8||

ieku dmu swcw vIsrY sw vylw ibrQw jwie ]

eik dham saachaa veesarai saa vaelaa birathaa jaae |

If I forget the True Lord, even for an instant, that time passes in vain.

swih swih sdw smwlIAY Awpy bKsy kry rjwie ]9]

saahi saahi sadhaa samaaleeai aapae bakhasae karae rajaae |9|

With each and every breath, constantly remember the Lord; He Himself shall forgive you, according to His Will. ||9||

syeI nwcih jo quDu Bwvih ij gurmuiK sbdu vIcwrI ]

saeee naachehi jo thudh bhaavehi j guramukh sabadh veechaaree |

They alone dance, who are pleasing to Your Will, and who, as Gurmukhs, contemplate the Word of the Shabad.

khu nwnk sy shj suKu pwvih ijn kau ndir qumwrI ]10]1]6]

kahu naanak sae sehaj sukh paavehi jin ko nadhar thumaaree |10|1|6|

Says Nanak, they alone find celestial peace, whom You bless with Your Grace. ||10||1||6||

SO, with this vid, to me it seems she wants to get rich from this. but at the same time, she is bringing goodness to ppl.

its a bit unorthadox, but i kinda like it. but, its a lot of show, and it aint gona give peace to the mind if she (satnaam kaur) jus does it how she is doing it..

gurfateh!

This Sikh seed will spread and grow in new lands. I'm from a Panjabi background, that dancing seems pretty weird to me too. But ultimately we can't hog Sikhi - it is destined to spread and it will be pretty small minded of us (never mind unrealistic!) to expect people to 100% replicate how Panjabis practice the faith. Before we start judging these people maybe we should remember just how many of our own people wrap up the faith with their own backwards caste cultural baggage. How many apnay weddings take place where an hour after leaving the Gurdwara, people are in halls pouring scotch, Bacardi (and kebabs) down their throats whilst the langar they had earlier is still being digested in their stomachs. Then the bhangra starts..... So let's not be under any sort of illusion that our own people don't have their own flaws.

The faith has to grow, it isn't right to sternly condemn every thing different new comers do. If there are issues, we need to explain them gently whilst being patient and tolerant, humbly remembering we have our own issues too. If we grow, we Panjabis are going to have manage the growth without putting people completely off the faith like we do on many occasions.

Let's try not turn this into another unnecessary outburst of indignation.