Chapter Four Vairaag Shatak English Translations

IK ONKAR SATGUR PRASADH.{THE ONE CREATOR , REALISED THROUGH THE GURU}.

ATH CHAUTHA ADHAIY ARAMBH{COMMENCING FOURTH CHAPTER}.

DOHRA

"UTTKANHTAA NIJJCHITT KI KEHEH CHATURTHAE DHAIY.

KARAT BINOH NRIPP SUMBHPAHEH SAAT SALOK BANAIY." {1}.

uttkanhtaa = desire.Sumbh = Shiv Ji.

The heart's desire isexpressed in this fourth chapter. Raja Bharthari does benti {humble request} toShiv Ji in the form of seven saloks.

TOTAKH SHAND

"IK EK NISIPRIHSHAANT MANNAH.

KARR PATARR PAVITTARDISAH BASNAH.

KARMA NIRMOOLAN MAEHNIPUNNA.

SHIVJI KABB HVAE MAMMAESS DINNAH." {2}.

Ik Ek = Solitary.Nisiprih = Desireless/ without attachment. Karr = hand. Patr = Kapphar = Bowl.Basnah = Clothes. Nirmoolan = Uproot. Nipunah = wise.

I wish to wander aroundby myself in a desireless and calm state. May my hands be the khapar {bowl} anddishah {direction} be my clothes. May I be chattar {wise} in uprooting thenishkaam and sakaam karm {all desires}.

Heh Shiv Ji {Oh Lord}!When will I see such days? {2}.

To be continued......................

"KABITT"

"SHAANT DHUNI JAAMNIKI CHANDNI AMITT DUT,

TAASOH GANGATEET TALOHUJLOH LASSAT HAIH.

TAAMEH SUKHI BAHOOHKAHOOH SHIV SHIV KAHOOH AISEE,

BAANI BHANOH JAISEHPRAANI DUKHARAT HAIH.

PREM UDHEH PAATH SAATHDRIGH BHEEGH JAAHEH KABB,

AAVEH SAAHEH SAAHEH MAUROMANCH PULKAT HAIH.

BHAVV KE ABHOGAN TEBHAYHO ABB UDHBEGH,

KAROH AISEE BIDHI BEGHAISEE MORI MATT HAIH." {3}.

Shaant dhuni = Silence.Jaamni = night. Amitt = limitless. Dutt = light. Taloh = upper portion. Lassat= shining. Dukharat = pained owing to torment. Udheh = known. Paath = droplet. Drigh= eyes. Shah saheh = sighing. Bhav = world. Abhoghan = immoral indulgences.Udhbegh = vairaag = renunciation. Begh = quickly.

It is important to discussthe fourth line first. 4. I have become vairaag {renounced} from the immoralindulgences of worldly pleasures. I am now in a position to receive;

1. In the silence of thenight with the abundance moon light , the upper banks of the Ganges lights up.

2. May I sit in thislight on the banks and recite "Shivaiy namm Shivaiy namm" {name ofthe creator} in a manner similar to a critically ill person begging for mercy.

3. May my eyes become drenchedwith the tears of prem {love} and may I sigh slowly.

When will I see suchdays? {3}.

To be continued.................

KABITT

"NAIEKHAE NAVOUHGANGA PAATH SAATH NAATH TUMEH,

SUCHH PHOOL PHALOH KARRROOCH DHARR DHAIVENGHAE.

DHIAN JOGH DHIAN TEROHTAAMEH LAAGEH MANN MEROH,

SAEL DHARRI SILLAH KEPRAYANK PAE SUHAVENGHAE.

SUKHI NIJJANANDH KARRPHALLA HAARI RATT TARR,

GUROH KE BACHAN SOHCHARAN THAAREH BHAAVENGEH.

SAMRAARI THAARI KRIPAANSAAREH SAAREH,

DUKH SAAREH HAMM JADHOHSOH DIHAREH KADHOH AAVENGHEH." {4}.

Ganga paath = Water ofGanga river. Naath = heh svaami =oh Lord. Sudh = pavittar = pure. Rooch = preeti= with devotion. Sael dharri = cave in a mountain. Sillah = rock/stone. Prayank= large bed. Nijjanand = Atmak bliss. Phallahaari = a diet of fruits. Ratt =preeti = devotion. Soh = with. Thaareh = yours. Samaari = Shiv Ji. Thaari =yours. Saareh = to burn away.

1. Heh Naath ! {oh dearLord}! First I will bathe and wash with Ganga Jall {water of the Ganga river} ,then I will proceed to give you ishnaan {bathing} with Ganga Jall. I willcollect pure fruits and flowers from the orchards and present them to youwhilst I engage in your Simran {meditation}.

2. You are worthy ofdhian {being meditated upon} , may I be able to concentrate/focus on you. May Isit on the metaphorical cave bed high up in the mountains as a result of whichI become respect worthy.

3. I will become sukhi{happy} as a result of attaing Atmik Anand {eternal bliss} , I will develop anunrelenting fondness of the diet of fruit , and as a result of developingpreeti {devotion} with Guru's Bachan {divine words} I will become attached toyour Charan {Lord's Name}.

4. Heh {oh} the slayer ofSammar Daent {demon} i.e. ShivJi! When as a result of your mercy I will be ableto burn away my torment , when will I see those days {rhetorical question}.{4}.

To be continued......................

KABITT

"SUNDHRI KE BHOGHANMAEH SUNDHAR EH KAAL GHAYOH,

DHAAR KE BHAVOT BHAVYOHSOGH MAGH CHIRR MAEH.

PAYHOH ATT KHEDH GHAYOHTHAAKH NIRVEDH ABB,

CHAYOH GANGH TEER PARRBHAYOH UTT GHIRR MAEH.

TUNGH HOYHEH TANN BAARNAIN POOREH PREM BAAR,

KANTH DABHEH NAAMOH CHAARGANGHA JAANKEH SIRR MAEH.

BHOGH NARKAGANGH KE HETKOH NA BHAJOH ABB,

KAROH AISEE BIDH BHAVOHBHAV MAEH N PHIR MAEH." {5}.

Sundri = istri = female.Bhavot = world's support. Magh = path/route. Nirvedh = vairaag = renunciation. Ghirrmaeh = cave in mountain. Tungh =high/standing. Baar = water/tears. Namoh chaar= Naam Simran. Niragan = fire of hell. Bhavoh bhav maeh na = no desire towander around in this world.

This beautiful time hasbeen spent in the bhog {indulgence} of istri {females}. I have wandered aroundthis world for a long time as a result of which I have achieved sogh {sadness}.I had focused on material pleasures.

I have achieved immensetorment as a result and I am now tired of such pursuits/activities. I nowdesire vairaag {renunciation} from these indulgences. I wish to spent the restof my days either on the banks of the river Ganga or a cave in the highmountains.

May be body be standing.May my eyes be saturated with tears. May my heart be suppressed with themetaphorical water of prem {love} whilst I engage in the Lord's Simran. May I renouncethe visheh {physical indulgences} that give rise to the fierce fire of hell. OhLord! endow me with such technique which eliminates the need to wander aroundin the world over and over again.{5}.

To be continued..................

KABITT

"KAAL EH PUNAGHMI NSOH TOH BHAYOH BRITHA,

KHEEN TANN DHEEN MANNDHEEN NAARI RAMNEEK MAEH.

SAEKREH KALESOH KOHPARVESOH KARR VIAKUL JAISEH,

SOH DISSAH SAEHI SEHKAHAAH KAHAAH TEEKH MAEH.

JOH JOH KAROH KAAM SOHSOH DEHAT DUKH GRAAMH MOKOH,

AHOH VAHEE APP KAAM RAKOHABB TEEKH MAEH.

PRABHAL ADISHT DUSHTJORAT ANISHT MAAHEH,

TAH KE SHAANT BINNAHSHAANTNAAHEH CHEENOH NEEKHMAE."{6}.

Punna gameen = acquiredas a result of good deeds. Kaal = time/era. Ramneek = beautiful/pleasant. Viakul= extremely tormented. Graamh = all. Prabal = very potent. Adisht = karam =deeds. Anisht = doing bad.

The manukha janam {humanlife} that was acquired as a result of past good deeds has been squanderedduring this life time. As a result of considering myself to be sareer {physicalbody} my mann {mind} focused on the physical indulgence of beautiful females.

As a result of engagingin hundreds of painful actions I have become utterly tormented. I have enduredthis torment as a result of my behaviour/actions. How much further can I say ofmy torment? {rhetorical question}.

Whatever action I hadengaged in created an abundance of dukh {torment} , haih afsos! {sigh} I amstill performing such deeds.

My past deeds are so compellingthat they force me to contemplate corrupt thoughts. I will not become shaant{at peace} until these karam {deeds} are extinguished , I know this to be wiseand correct. {6}.

DOHRA

"NASHT ADHRISHT GYANBINN GYAN N BINN VAIRAAG.

TAANTEH BHAV NIRVEDHPRADH , JAATEH BHAV DUKH TYAGH."{7}.

Adrisht = karam = deeds.Bhav = ShivJi. {2} = sansar =world. Nirvedh = vairaag = renunciation. Pradh =please give me.

Without gyan {divineknowledge} the karam {committed deeds} do not extinguish , and without vairaag{renunciation} Gyan {divine knowledge} cannot be attained , and that is why hehShivJi! {oh Lord}! please bless me with Gyan {divine knowledge} the likes ofwhich erode the torments of this world. {7}.

To be continued................

SAVAIYAH

"PUNN BANEH BASSKAUN DINNEH BHANOH BHOH SHIV SHAMBH JATTEEH SAMRAARI.

NAAGHAN MOTINN HAARAN MOHUTT SHATTAR BALLI SOH SAMITTAR MANJHARI.

MAHINGH MANNI MRITT PINDHVIKEH MADH PHOOLONKEH SAATHAR PAATHAR BHAARI.

VANN TRINN BEECH TRI AANBIKEH , SABH MAEH SAMM HAVAEH KABB DHRISHT HAMAARI. {8}.

Punn = pavittar = pure.Baneh = in the jungle. Boh = heh = hey. Shiv , shambh , jatti = dreadlockedhair. Samraari = slayer of demons i.e. all these are the names of Shiv Ji. Mritpindh = mound of earth. Saathar = bed. Vann trinn = grass/weeds etc.

The desire is to spend mydays in the jungle reciting the praises of Shiv Ji.

In the snakes and pearlnecklaces , in the friend and foe , in the mounds of earth and precious gems ,in the soft bedding and rock hard bedding , in the weeds/grass and sundaristriah {beautiful females} etc. when will I attain samaan drishti {seeing themall on a par i.e. be unaffected by materialism}? {rhetorical question}.{8}.

To be continued................

KABITT

"GANGHA TEER PARRUTT HIMM GHIRR SILLAH PARR,

BAANDHEH PADHMAASAN KOHMANN INDREH JEET KEH.

BRAMH KE DHIAN KI ABHKAHVIDH SOH NIVAAS,

YOG NINDHA MAAHEH KAROHHAROH TAAP CHHETKEH.

JATTAR KURANGH KAREHSINGHROH SANGH KANDHOO MOHEH,

SUKH SOH ABHEET MOKOHJAANEH SAMM BHEET KEH.

PARBHATI NAATH MAEHANAATH KE ABHEET VAAREH,

UTTAM DIHAREH KABB AAVEHAISEE REET KEH."{9}.

Himm ghirr = Himalyamountain. Abkhah = Samadhi {undivided attention} without desires. Jattar =aged. Sringhoh = horns. Kandhu = itching. Padhmasan = left foot on the rightlap , then taking the arm behind the back and with the right hand holding bigtoe of the right foot. Keeping the chin four fingers away from chest andfocusing the vision between the brow. Abheet = without fear. Bheet = wall.Parbhati naath = Parbhati's husband i.e. Shiv Ji.

Either on the banks ofthe Ganges or high up the Himalayan mountain , by adopting the padhmasanposition May I be able to win over my thoughts.

Using the techniques ofBramh Gyan {divine knowledge} May I take abode in yog , thus removing the taap {torments} of themann {mind} in this nirvkalap smadhi {desire less state}.

May aged antelope comeand rub their horns against me , may they consider me to be a mere wall.

Heh Parbhati de svami !{oh husband of Parbhati i.e. ShivJi}! When I will I be able to glimpse suchuttam {superior} days! Please make me dharr toh rehat {fear less}.{9}.

DOHRA

"NIJJ VIKHAAN KARRHARRAN KARR SANGHARSHANGH MAMM DEH.

MOHEH KHABAR HEH HARR NHAVEH MAMM ASSS DEH."{10}.

Vikhaan = horns.Sangharsheh = the act of scratching/itching. Asss = in this way/manner.

When will antelopescratch my body with their horns? and I be unaware of such actions , heh Hari! {ohLord}! may I be in a state where I am unaware of my physical existence. Whenwill my deh {physical body} become like this?{10}.

KABITT

"KAANSHI GANGHA DEKINAREH BHAVV TE KINAREH HOYE ,

KADOH BASOH BASSANKAUPEEN EK DHARKEH.

DOUYOO HAATH JORR KARRNAYE MAATHAN MOH KAROHMRIDH ,

BAANI SAATH RATOH NAAMSAMM RAAR KE.

BHO PRABHOH BHAVAANI VARRSHANKAR TRINETAH HARR ,

TRIPRAARI CHANDHARDHARRBHAVV BHAVV HAAR KE.

KHIN SAMM DINH SABB MEROHBEET JAAVEH JABB AISEH ,

AIHEH AAVEH KABB KAHOHKRIPA DHAAR KE." {11}.

Kinareh = river bank.Kinareh = to one side/separate. Mridh = delicate. Samraar = ShivJi. Bhavaanivarr = Parbhati's husband. Trinetah = three eyed ShivJi. Tripraari = enemy ofTripunn named demon. Bhavv Haar = destroyer of the world. Aeh = day.

By becoming vairaagi{renounced} , by adorning a simple loin cloth , and residing on the banks of Gangha river in Kaanchi when will I takeabode there?

I will clasp both hands ,with bowed head I will do namaskaar {salutation} and utter the sweet of the thesammar demon slayer ShivJi.

Heh Prabhu {Oh Lord}! HehBhavaani's patti {husband}! Heh Shankar! Heh Trinain! Heh Hari! Heh Tripraari!Heh chandrmah dhaari! Heh bhavv {liberation provider}! Heh destroyer of worldlyfear!

The recitation of thesenames:

When this results in mylifespan seeming like a nanosecond , please be merciful and enlighten me as towhen these days will draw closer?{11}.

SHANKAR SHAND

"KABB DEHANGH MAEHARTHEEN SARBANS JORR KARR KARR DEH.

KABB TARUN KARNEH SAATHANTHEH KARAN POORAN HOYE.

DUSHKAAM KOH PRANAAM JONITRIYAGDHAD APAAR.

TIH DUKH SEEMA PIKH DAROHNIJJ MANDH KARAM NIHAAR."{12}.

Artheen = beggars. Karr =with. karr = hands. Tarun = new. Dushkaam = immoral deeds. Parnaam = fruit.Trighdaadh = lifeforms such as snakes etc. Seema = remedy. Pikh = having seen.

With both hands bestowingall my worldly possessions to the needy. When will this be so?

With daily new vigour maymy anthishkaran {mind} fill , when will it fill?

The life forms such asthose of snakes etc. which are the result of immoral deeds , the likes of whichalarm me immensely! Seeing these committed deeds frighten me so! {12}.

To be continued...............

SHANKAR SHAND

"JIS PUNN BANN MAEHSARD HIMKAR KIRN PARNIT CHAAR.

BANN TAAS MAEH KARR BAASMAEH NIRVEDH SAEHIT VICHAR.

MAMM CHITT KOH HARRCHARANN KI TARR SHARAN HOYE SARAGH.

JABB IMM BATAVOH BIMMALRAENA TABBHI MAEH BADBHAAGH." {13}.

Punn = pure. Sard = coldweather Sept./October. Himkarr = Moon. Chaar = Beautiful. Nirvedh = Vairaag =renunciation. Saragh = with love. Bimmal raena = moonlit night.

In the pure and pleasant jungle where moon's rays areseen in the winter season. May I residein that jungle and contemplate Atam Vichar {soul searching} while in a state ofvairaag {reunciation}. May I become attached to charan {Naam} of ShivJi withthe utmost love and devotion. Upon spending this moonlit night , only then Ishall consider myself to be vadbhaagi {truly blessed}. {13}.

DOHRA

"TAJJ SUTANTARR BHAVBHOG KABB LAKHOH NIJAAMAT AAP.

DEH BIKHEH SANDEH BINNVICHROH TABB NIH PAAP." {14}.

Sandeh = deh adyaas =ignorance of self. Niha paap = Punn saroop {good deeds}.

Upon abandoning worldlypleasures when will I consider myself Atam Saroop {soul}.

When I remain in the deh{physical body} but wander around in a state on non deh adhyaas {consideroneself as soul rather than body} , only then will I come to realise PunatamaSaroop {pure/unadulterated soul}. {14}.

DOHRA

"MUNOH KARAM JO JOKARE SO SO HAMM HOOH KEEN

TINN KARMOH KE FALOH KARRHAMM TAAGHEH MATT HEEN." {15}.

Whatever deeds werecommitted by the munni-jann {spiritual people} , I too committed such deeds butI matt heena {without sense} have been the victim of theft. {15}.

Prashan {question}- Inwhich manner have you been robbed?

Uttar {answer}:-

DOHRA

"MUNNAN LAEHOH SHUKHROOP PHALL HAMM HOOH DUKH PHALL LEEN.

KAREH KARAM SAMVIKHAMMPHALL IYOH MAEH TAAGHYOH DEEN." {16}.

Munni-jann {spiritualpeople} have attained the pleasure fruition of these deeds , whereas I haveattained the fruits of torment. The committed deeds by munni-jann {spiritualpeople} and myself were samaan { on a par} but the phall {fruition} has beenultah {upside down} and in this way I have been robbed. {16}.

Prashan {question}- Inwhich way were your karam {committed deeds} similar to those of munni-jann{spiritual people}?

Uttar {answer}-

DOHRA

"MUNNAN TAJEH GRIHUCHITT SUKH KARR SANTOKH BIBEK.

AHANGH VIDESH KALESH KARRTYAGHA BHOG ANEK." {17}.

The munni-jann {spiritualpeople} had done the vairaag {renunciation} of worldly pleasures but I underthe desire for materialistic pleasures have endured an abundance of torment ,but have the desire to abandon these pleasures. {17}.