Chapter Four Vairaag Shatak English Translations

DOHRA

"RIKHAN KHIMMAH KARRKALOH KE SODEH DUR BACHNAADH.

MAEH BHI SAHEH KUVAKPALLKARJAACHAN SEVADH." {18}.

Rikhi-jann {spiritualpeople} have endured the insults of the mools in a patient and forgivingmanner. I too have endured such insults but in my case it was for the sake ofmaterial pleasures. {18}.

DOHRA

"SEET VAAT AATAPDUSHEH PUNNA KALES APAAR.

MUNNAN SAHEH TAPP DHAARKARR HAMOH SAHEH SAHEH NAAR. " {19}.

Vaat = air. Aatap =sun/heat. Duheh = difficult.

Bitter cold wind ,extreme heat , and enormous difficulties have the munni-jann {spiritual people}endured. I too have endured such difficulties but in my case it was for themoh{attachment} of istri {female}. {19}.

DOHRA

"HARR PADH PADHANJUGGAL MUNOH DHAYIOH MANN KRIT BAACH.

PRAANOH KAPP DINN RAATMAEH MIAYOH DHANN KE SAANCH." {20}.

Padham = kamal = lotusflower. Krit = physical body. Juggal = both.

Munni-jann {spiritualpeople} have tightly clasped both of the metaphorical charan kamal {feet} ofHari {creator's name} through mann {mind} , baani {speech} , and sareer{physical body}. I too spent all my breaths day and night in deep meditation ,not for Hari {creator} but for material wealth. {20}.

DOHRA

"KHIMMA TRIPTYUTDURBACHAN SAHOH TAJJO GRIH BHOG.

SRUCHDHYIOH HARR PAYOUMAEH TABB TAA SAMM PHALL HOGH." {21}.

When I adopt a forgivingnature together with tripti {state of satisfaction} , be able to accept harshwords , and having renounced all the homely creature comforts. When I willmeditate on Hari's {creator's} name , only then will I receive phall {fruition}on a par with them. {21}.

To be continued.............

DOHRA

"AISEH SHANKAR VANTTDINN HEH HARR SHANKAR SHAMBH.

HOYE KABB SAMM MUNNAN KEMAEH VICHROH TAJJ DAMBH." {22}.

Shankar = kalyan =liberation. Shambh = Shiv Ji.

Heh Hari {oh Lord}! OhLord the provider of liberation. The days of liberation which are on a par tothose of munni-jann {spiritual people} , when will I see such days? That iuswhy I wish to abandon material pleasures. {22}.

DOHRA

"SVARAG AKHYEH SUKHLAABH HITT KAREH MAKHAADH SRAAGH.

KAREH YAAGH RIKH VAAKGRAEH PUNNA MUNNAN MANN TAAGH." {23}.

Those pleasures of svarag{paradise} which are without naas {permanent} , in order to obtain such yaghetc. are undertaken with utmost devotion before they can be acquired. For thesake of these pleasures I accepted the instructions of rikhi-jann {spiritualpeople} and undertook yagh {strict endurance} , but I have come to know that Ihave been the victim of robbery at the hands of these munni-jann {spiritualpeople}. {23}.

Prashan {question}: Howdid the Rikhi-jann rob?

DOHRA

"TAH KRITKEH PHALLKOH JABBEH PRAAMRASS MAEH KEEN.

JANNAT PEEN BHAE MAMMRIDHAE HOYE PUNN JABB KHEEN." {24}.

Tah krit = those deeds.Praamrass = contemplated. Jannat = produced. Peen = mammoth/big. Kheen =destroyed.

When I contemplated thefruition of such deeds with Sant-jann {spiritual people} , I then filled withimmense fear the likes of which can only be seen upon the depletion of goodkaram {deeds}. {24}.

DOHRA

"GHIRAT NAAK GHIRTEHADHEH PURAKH PAKHAAN TURANT.

SEHAT KASHT TEH KASHTTARR ANBHAV KARAT SOH JANTT." {25}.

Naak = svarag = paradise.Ghir = pahadh = mountain. Adheh = underneath. Pakhaan = stone. Turant = veryquickly.

Man falls from svarag {paradise}in the same speedy manner in which a stone falls down from a high mountain ,the pain/torment endured can only be described or understood by someone who hasexperienced this themselves. {25}.

DOHRA

"JANAM MARAN DRIDHKARAN KOH ATT DRIDH KARAN SOH BHOG.

TAH HITT MAEH KRITT KAREHBHAVV KOH MAMM SAMM KHALL HOGH." {26}.

Janam-maran {the cycle ofrebirths} is the direct result of visheh bhog {indulgence in debauchery}. Thosedeeds I have committed to the full , that is why who is more moorakh {ultimatefool} than me? {26}.

DOHRA

"BHOG BADHAIY KARRMUNNOH MOHIH LUBHAYOH CHITT.

KARAM GHARAT MAEHEHDAARMAMM HARYOH MUKT SUKH VITT." {27}.

The praises of theindulgences of svarag {paradise} by minni-jann {spiritual people} enticed my mindextremely. In this way by engaging in the ritual endurance of yagh I was thrownin the bottomless pit of indulgences whilst I was robbed blindly of mukht roopsukh {liberation}. {27}.

SORTAH

"KARR SANTOKH BIBEKTAJEH N GRIH KE UCHITT SUKH.

TYAGHEH BHOG ANEK PRAMMANVIDESH KALESH KARR." {28}.

Together with santokh{state of satisfaction} and vichaar {contemplation} I have not abandoned thehomely creature comforts , but as a result of wandering around and the painfulphysical condition I have abandoned numerous physical indulgences. {28}.

To be continued..............

DOHRA

"AHOH KHIMMA KARRKALOH KE SAHEH N DUR BACHNAADH.

SODEH MOHEH KUVAAK PARRKARR JAACHAN SEVAADH."{29}.

It is really acharajh{amazing} that I have not tolerated the insults of fools in a patient andforgiving manner but:-

For the sake of servingothers {for financial or physical gain} , I accepted the insults/harsh words offools. {29}.

DOHRA

"SEET VAAT AATAPDASUEH PUNNA KALESH KADHAMBH.

MAEH N SAHEH TAPP DHAARKARR SODEH BEECH KUTAMBH."{30}.

Bitterly cold wind ,burning sun , and other torments I have not endured by engaging in tapp {strictendurance}.

I did not face thesetorments by engaging in tapp {strict endurance} but I endured all thesetorments owing to the moh {attachment} to my kutambh {family}. {30}.

DOHRA

"DHIYAHOH DHANN KOAHEH NISEH MANN KRIT BACHAN SANEM.

ISHAR KE PADH PADHAM KODHIYHOH TIOH N SAPREM." {31}.

In the way that Imeditate with mann {mind} , bani {words} , and sareer {body} day and night formaterial wealth/pleasures. I have not ever in that way meditated with love anddevotion on the Lord's name. {31}.

DOHRA

"EH GUR PASCHA TAAPURBHAOH N AATAM VITT.

BINN BICHAAR MAEH MUGHADHKO LAYOH VISHYOH BHAVV JITT." {32}.

It is with utmost regret thatmy heart is void of the metaphorical wealth of the Lord's name. The reason forthis state is because I , the ultimate fool , have been conquered by worldlyvisheh {debauchery}. {32}.

DOHRA

"DUSHT ADRISHT SANEHYUT URR KAGGAR PARR VARRAN.

BHOG RAAG MAEH SOH NLAHEH ANKK VICHAAR AVARRAN." {33}.

Adrisht = accumulation ofpast deeds. Saneh = tel = oil. kaggar = paper. varran = words. Avarran =destroy. Raag = prem = devotion.

On the metaphorical paperof my mind has been written the words of bad deeds with the metaphoricaloil/ink of material attachment. That is why:-

The mind perpetuallyfocuses on indulgences of debauchery. These metaphorical writing on the mind donot wash away. Only aatam vichaar {divine knowledge} can erase these inscribeddeeds. {33}.

That is why do the benti{humble request}:-

SORTAH

"PRABHU ANAATH KENAATH MAEH ANAATH KE MAATH PARR.

KRIPA DRISHT KE SAATH ,SHIVA NAATH NIJJ HAATH DHARR." {34}.

Shiva = Parbhati.Shivanaath = ShivJi.

Heh anaatha de naath {Ohmaster of neglected} Prabhu {creator}! Upon my anaath's {neglected} head , hehShivJi {creator in the form of}! please place your merciful hand. {34}.

DOHRA

"BINN BAIRAAG BIBEKMAEH TAVV PADH PANKAJ TEK.

SRI SHANKAR MAMM SHANKRODE VAIRAAG BIBEK." {35}.

Shankroh = do kalyan =liberation.

I being void of vairaag{renunciation} and bibek {distinguish between good and evil} take shelter inyour name Lord. Heh Hari Shankar {creator} by bestowing vairaag {renunciation} andvivek {distinguish between good and evil} please provide me with kalyan{liberation}. {35}.

To be continued...............

CHAUPAY

"BHAV MAEH VAEHIPURKH VADBHAGHI.

ITT UTT VOGH CHAAH JIHTYAGHI.

KARR NIVAAS GIRR KANDHARMAAHI.

PARAM PRAKASH ROOP HARRDHAIYHI." {36}.

"TISSEH DHIYAN KEAANAND KARKE.

TINHEH DRIGGHAN TE UDHAKJOH SARKEH.

BAESS NISSANK ANKK KEMAAHI.

ACHVIHEH VIHANGH MARTTJALL TAAHI." {37}.

Itt-utt = here and therei.e. life and after life. Kandhar = cave. Drighan = eyes. Udhak = water.Vihangh = bird. Sart = flowing. sarkeh = is flowing. Nisankk = fearless. Ankk =in the laps. Achveheh = are drinking.

In this world only thoseare vadbhaghi {blessed} who have forsaken the desire for material pleasures andhave taken abode in the metaphorical cave high up in the mountains for the sakeof meditation of the Lord. It is the result of this unrelenting love that theireyes are drenched with the tears of bliss. The birds sit in their laps andtaste these drops of tears in an non fearing manner. {37}.

CHAUPAY

"DHANN JANNOH KIUMMRAH AISEH.

PARRI HOTT KAE BHAAKIJAISEH.

HAMM MATT MANDH ADHANNKUBHAGHI.

BHUGHAT MUKT BIBBH TEVAIRAAGI." {38}.

KEWAL VIARTH MANORATHSANGHA.

MAMM SHUBH AVADH BHAVATTPARR BHANGHA.

BAAPI BAAGH TADHAAGH KINAREH.

SUNDAR MANDAR HOHEHHAMAREH." {39}.

Adhann = without wealth.Bipp te = from both. Avadh = lifespan. Bhavatt = does happen. Bhangha =finishes. Tadagh = Pool etc.

Those people are trulyblessed whose life is spent in the said manner.

We with mandh budhi {lowintellect} and bad fortune are not blessed since we have not turned our backson material indulgences and sought the sanctuary of mukti {liberation} invokingdeeds. {38}.

With desires of futilefantasises my precious life is being eroded. In other words a flight of fantasytakes place that on the banks of a stream may there be large beautiful houses.{39}.

CHAUPAY

"SUPAGH BHAVANI SEHTEH ANTARR.

KAREH SOH KREEDA KELNIRANTARR.

ASSS MANN RAJ KAUTAKEHDHIAYVAT.

ASSI AUKHAH PARREHBITTAVATT. {40}.

KINCHATT SANCHITT BHOGHMAJJARI.

PARRI HOTT HATT VAESHAMARRI.

TINNOH SAMAAN SOH DIVASSHAMAREH.

KABB AAVENGHEH HEHSAMRAREH." {41}.

Subhaagh = beautiful.Bhavaani = female. Kreeda = indulgences. Kel = sexual intercourse. Nirantar =continuous. Manoh raj = desire. Aukheh = age. Samrareh = Oh ShivJi. Kinchat =few. Sanchitt = acquired goods. Hath = finished.

With beautiful female mayI indulge in sexual intercourse within these houses , it is with these thoughtsthat my mind is always contemplating and my time is being eroded in suchfantasises. {40}.

The few indulgences thatI did engage in , my age is being eroded in such.

Oh slayer of Sammardemon! {ShivJi}! When will I see the days that are on a par with maha purash{spiritual people}? {41}.

DOHRA

"NIJJ BHAVV HITTBHAVV TYAGH HITT BOH BHAVV MAEH BHAVV DHIAUY.

SEKH AIYU NIJJ KABBVIANGH SUKH SOH TATHA VIHOUH." {42}.

Bhavv = liberation. Bhavv= world. Bhoh = oh. Bhaav =ShivJi. Sekh = the rest of. Viangh = will be spent.

For the sake of kalyan{liberation} and worldly renunciation , oh ShivJi! I meditate upon you.

When will the rest oflife be spent in bliss , please bless me with this bliss. {42}.

DOHRA

"BHARAT SHATAKVAIRAAG KOH DHAIY CHATURTHOH BUSS.

KARI SHUBH ISHA BHARATNRIPP TAH BINN JEEVAN PUHSS." {43}.

The fourth adhaiy{chapter} of Bharthari Ji's Vairrag shatak has been completed. In this chapterRaja Bharthari has described good desires without which life is akin torubbish. {43}.

ITT CHATURTH ADHAIY{4}. {End of fourth chapter}.