Provocation

Guest guptsingh

I'm going to have to offer a different view than what you have been getting thus far. The fact is while you were being verbally abused, you are the one that escalated it to a physical level. You did not even give the guy a chance to escalate the situation to a physical level. Its very good that you were ignoring the verbal abuse and kept on walking, but if and only if the guy was physically trying to hurt you should you have retaliated. That is what I think, not trying to put on a guilt trip. It's happened now. Reflect on the situation with a calm and cool mind and figure out what you need to do in order to avoid such behaviour in the future :)

in my opinion what you did was sewa. He picked on you knowing you were a Singh. If you had walked away the next singh walking from college/work would have been his next target.

You did nothing wrong, you did everything right.

There's a line between slander and outright abuse. People misquote Gurbani to justify a submissive attitude, this is totally wrong. Slander of your attributes is something one needs to tolerate and ignore. Insults based on your Sikhi Saroop, without knowing anything about you, is not slander but is simply racist abuse, which can never be tolerated.

Gurbani says that we should aim to be in control of the 5 elements, not let them be in control of us.

We control krodh into bir rass.. we control kaam and use it for pro-creation, we control lobh & moh for desire and attainment of gurbani, sangat and vidhiya, we turn our personal hunkaar to pride of the Khalsa.

if we attempt to kill these elements off altogether, we'd be door mats open to abuse. - This is where the teachings of Budh,Yogi & Sadhus differ from the principles of the Khalsa. We must not confuse the two and end up preaching buddhism to our children.

This was racial abuse and you fisted him.

Your ardas should be for Maharaj to continue to give you the strength uphold the honor of the Khalsa, and for Maharaj to give sense to those that wish to abuse the Khalsa.

well played

Well done Singh! I agree with most of the posters. If every Singh kicked the shyt out of any racist gora, musla or kala who was provoking him, 99.9% of the issues we have in the UK would be resolved. The posters on the other side also have a point as historically Sikhs have always allowed the enemy to have the first strike before responding. But in a street situation, you never know if the gora had a weapon so a first strike knocking him senseless is probably a good idea.

On the flip side what if you were seen, and police/law got involved? Yes on a level it's courageous to stand up to people like this, but looking at the western world today, where does the law of the land come into it all?

I am not for or against what happened, I just wish to point out how differently things could have played out.  I ask this not just because of this incident but often we refer to our courageous ancestors, events that took place and how we should learn from their example, but shouldn't we respect the law of the land too?  

I would like to reiterate, I am not making statements for or against, but have a genuine question. 

A few years ago I would've censured Singh for laying the smack down. I too would've referred to the law of the land, restraint, blah, blah, etc.

The police don't give a jot about anyone. They offer their commiserations after someone has been knifed-up, but never turn up whilst the the shanking is taking place. They talk a good game but its all hollow words. Apart from that, there's the street-level issue. If these two white fellas tell their friends that Singh went mental and battered the dirt out of them, this info might spread around their mates who'll think twice before opening their racist mouths again. It can only benefit, for example, a Singh who isn't capable of defending himself from an attack (or verbal abuse) by people like this.

Whilst I firmly believe we shouldn't go around looking for trouble, when trouble comes looking for us, we have no choice but to do something.

Guest Lo down

Sounds like you need to apologise to this poor man for over use of force . Yep defend yoself but i think you agree u gone too far . guru gobind singh destroyed the all mughal empire with a letter . If you used your intelligent 1st you could spare yoself tis grief. Say sorry n move on out

Guest GuptSingh

Cant an individual walk in this world without being racially harassed? Why should I apologise? If his ignorance hadn’t blighted his views then he would have a realised I wasn’t Muslim, I was a Sikh, British Born. I have just as much right as he has to be in this country. In fact my job, serves this country week in week out, what I have I done wrong? Just because I look different I have to be marginalized by society?

I apologise for my reaction, yes it wasn’t a true gursikh response but I will never apologise to both of them guy’s faces. Why suggest that? That’s sounds ridiculous.

I’m not a professional fighter but am taking classes in martial arts to further progress my bodybuilding ambitions.

I understand people saying its good for singhs to react but Khalsa Jee, had you have seen this reaction you wudnt have justified it. This is the reason I’m feeling upset about it.

Guest lapsjh
'guru gobind singh destroyed the all mughal empire with a letter'

That's beautiful.

Yes there is a reason Guru Ji said when all other means fail it is rightful to wield the sword. Now all other means had certainly not failed and the thing is that the guy wasn't beating the sh**t out of you really didn't fall under the catergory Guru Ji was talking about. Ji my family gives me grief like that guy gave you and I have to retrain my anger and ego every single day. You know why? Because there are 5 thieves that we are asked to keep under control by Gurbani and reacting in violence or anger would not only letting them run rampant, it would be bowing down and worshipping them.

Acting upon gurbani is our devotional worship to the lord, acting upon the 5 thieves and maya is devotional worship to maya.

The Gurus two beautiful babies where bricked alive. And the Guru reacted by sending the emporer a letter stating the Truth. He knew it was hukam(every single thing that happens to us is His hukam), he honoured the hukam, but he uttered truth to the emporer becuase speaking Truth is glorifying God- reacting in Maya is glorifying maya(5 thieves).

Take it as a lesson, next time calm your heart and speak Truth to one who attacks you verbally, remember it is your karma and God testing you, God giving you an oppertunity to rise above your 5 thieves.