Wearing A Pug Is Causing Pain

OK. I wear a pug and sometimes my ears feel alittle sore but nothing major. Over the past 2 years, after 4 or 5 hours of wearing a pug my ears start to feel very painful (usually the right ear), the pain gets worse when i push against the part of my pug that is covering my ears. Also, the area 2 inches above my ear starts to feel painful - as if something or someone is apply intense pressure against a small area of my skull and my eyes start to feel tired and sore. The pain goes away as soon as I take my pug of - although the whole area is still sore and it hurts when i touch it. Sometimes at work it gets so bad that i go into the changing rooms and redo my pug and that usually helps.

Has anyone else had something similar. I know the fault is with the way is tie my pug as it doesn't happen to my dad. this doesn't happen all of the time maybe 40 - 50% of the time but its causing me considerable pain. any idea as to what i could do to stop the pain or what i might be doing wrong?

Are you wearing a nok style dastaar? This shouldn't happen when you tie any kind of dastaar- whether it's a dumalla or nok dastaar.

I think the problem may have to do with the pooni, make sure the first part where you bring the dastaar over your ear is clean and even so there isn't uneven pressure distribution. Bring the first lard over the bottom 3 quarters of the ear and then bring it from the top and repeat again and again. (the top quarter portion of your ear should be showing after your first lard is done, at least for me). Try this if you don't already and see if it helps.

Each person has their own way of tying with little variations in how they make the twist and bring each lard but however you do it, it should not hurt. Also, you don't have to make the first lard very tight. What may help is tying a small keski before tying your dastaar as well (above the ears).

There a very very simple solution to all of this. All we need is more Dastaar classes (and a Voluntary Dastaar services) in the Gurdware.

Not only should Gurdwares make sure they sell ALL of the 5k's in every Gurdware. All Gurdwares should also sell Dastaara!!!

I say this, because I only know how to tie one type of Dastaar, it's this one in the attached video (but I really want to know how to tie a round Dastaar, a Dumala, and the classic Punjabi Dastaar, like the one in the first of the two video posts above by Singh559). I can't copy the techniques from video.

If you have a look at this video below, and the first one above, you will see that they are two different turbans, even though they both would be considered a nok dastaar. The one above takes more skill and know how, like the round Dastaar and Dumala:

Have you asked your Dad to see if he can help:

There is some comedy at the beginning of the video, but that's just Jus Reigns way, The preparation for the Dastaar starts at 5mins, and the Dastaar tying starts at 7mins:

i fold my pug in half, then half, then half so that the width is 4 inches.

The first larul goes over the top of the right side of my head, then it goes diagonally downwards and covered the whole of my left ear.

Then the laruls on the right side go down and will cover my ear and the laruls on the left side will go up, from my ear to the top of my head. does that make sense.

The i use the first larul to cover my head!

does this make sense to anyone. sometimes i can hear a pug for 17 hours straight no problem - travelling to india it didn't hurt. sometimes the pain is so intense that i need to re tie the pug after a few hours.

There a very very simple solution to all of this. All we need is more Dastaar classes (and a Voluntary Dastaar services) in the Gurdware.

Not only should Gurdwares make sure they sell ALL of the 5k's in every Gurdware. All Gurdwares should also sell Dastaara!!!

I say this, because I only know how to tie one type of Dastaar, it's this one in the attached video (but I really want to know how to tie a round Dastaar, a Dumala, and the classic Punjabi Dastaar, like the one in the first of the two video posts above by Singh559). I can't copy the techniques from video.

If you have a look at this video below, and the first one above, you will see that they are two different turbans, even though they both would be considered a nok dastaar. The one above takes more skill and know how, like the round Dastaar and Dumala:

Have you asked your Dad to see if he can help:

There is some comedy at the beginning of the video, but that's just Jus Reigns way, The preparation for the Dastaar starts at 5mins, and the Dastaar tying starts at 7mins:

I remember teaching myself that style from a similar youtube video. I was in the same position as you. I actually went to a turban tying class on one occasion at my local gurdwara, unfortunately both of the sevadaars couldnt speak english and my punjabi skills are very limited. They ended up saying that the current style i was tying is fine and "modern" . they were going to teach the traditional triangle punjabi dastaar. The best solution is to ask local gursikhs you know for help with tying round/dummallaa. i certainly agree that all gurdwaras should have the 5ks available and dastaar material. Not having these things is just an extra hurdle monas from non amritdhari families have to cross to become practising gursikhs.

I remember teaching myself that style from a similar youtube video. I was in the same position as you. I actually went to a turban tying class on one occasion at my local gurdwara, unfortunately both of the sevadaars couldnt speak english and my punjabi skills are very limited. They ended up saying that the current style i was tying is fine and "modern" . they were going to teach the traditional triangle punjabi dastaar. The best solution is to ask local gursikhs you know for help with tying round/dummallaa. i certainly agree that all gurdwaras should have the 5ks available and dastaar material. Not having these things is just an extra hurdle monas from non amritdhari families have to cross to become practising gursikhs.

Thanks for the Tip Singh.

I know from personal experience that your statement is 100% correct. If Gurdwares were serious about helping Sikhs into Gursikhi, then they would definately sell all 5k's, Dastaar Material, and give Dastaar tying classes!

Its all about how you tie the pagh. I tie mine decently tight, not too much though. I would always have my first ladh going over both ears and I would leave it like that and continue on building with the pagh. That first ladh would get pressed tighter with the second ladh and it would then hurt my ears. My grandpops told me to cover my head with my first ladh and pop out my ears and then cover the ears with the second ladh making sure that the part of the second ladh that came over my ears was as thin as possible. And that's done the trick, I've never had my ears hurt :)

I had almost same experience when I started tying pagg to my college , 5 years ago . I go in Khalsa college , where sikh guys are required to wear turban ... I was still a kid back then 16 year old when I started tying pagg . I remember my neck would pain real bad as I was not able to bear weight of pagg . Also , many times I used to rush back home with half day just because so that I can take my pagg of my head .rolleyes.gif

Now , its been 5 years that I am tying pagg ... and I feel like I got somewhat used to it , though it still sometimes feel pain around ears and all you mentioned ..

Maybe give it some time . How old are you ?

My ear gets sore now and then and gets very raw and red because of the last larl that I like to keep nice and tight to keep the whole pag tight.

I normally put some ointment (there is a medicated cream called Zambuk) on it and put an elataplast/bandaid on my ear, that helps a lot and after a while the raw part of the ear heals up.