Any Strength Trainers? What Are Your Stats, How Long Did It Take And What'S Your Diet?

Things you are doing appear to be okay, I'm not sure how much can be changed. At the end of the day, not everyone has the genetic potential to be "strong". If you don't mind me asking, are you training for a specific sport?

Personally, I feel your protein intake is too high. But that would not impact your strength in a negative fashion. It may however impact certain organs of the body. I'm sure you already know this, but it doesn't hurt to get a reminder :)

One thing that stood out from your posts is that your calorie intake = calories spent. While calorie counting is not an exact science, I would encourage you to add 300-500 calories to your daily food intake. Add these in your post workout meals and make them high quality carbs.

I don't see if you have given your typical post workout meal. Of all the meals of the day, that is the most critical to build strength.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things you are doing appear to be okay, I'm not sure how much can be changed. At the end of the day, not everyone has the genetic potential to be "strong". If you don't mind me asking, are you training for a specific sport?

Personally, I feel your protein intake is too high. But that would not impact your strength in a negative fashion. It may however impact certain organs of the body. I'm sure you already know this, but it doesn't hurt to get a reminder :)

One thing that stood out from your posts is that your calorie intake = calories spent. While calorie counting is not an exact science, I would encourage you to add 300-500 calories to your daily food intake. Add these in your post workout meals and make them high quality carbs.

I don't see if you have given your typical post workout meal. Of all the meals of the day, that is the most critical to build strength.

Yes, right you are! This meal is my 'highest caloric' intake. However, I eat this meal even when I'm not training, simply because my focus is strength and not aesthetics (getting lean).

I eat the following

-2x pitta bread + tomato sauce + mozzarella cheese + toppings

- pine apple

- cottage cheese

- 250ml milk

- whey

- oats

- peanut butter

- strawberries

^^ all blended together

come out to about 1,400 calories

I've deloaded and now I'm working up again:

squat: 75kg (form breaks on last 2 reps - not bad!)

overhead press: gone up to 40kg

bench: 55kg

powercleans: 50kg

^^

form has improved...all I did was de-load a bit and add more carbs to my lunch...once i start stalling again i will add another one of those mini pizzas to my caloric intake (making it around 400 calories).

In terms of sport - I want strength to be the foundation (squats/deads/bench) ...once I am satisfied with my numbers I want to learn the following arts: muay thai and kendo (unless i find a more practical art in terms of striking with the sword).

Hmm, no replies!

Are there any strength trainers - what are your lifts and how long did it take for you to get there? diet? routine?

Hello StartingStrengthSikh.

I am no trainer but I have been training with a group of fitness enthusiasts for the 18 months and I have learnt alot.

I am happy to hear that someone wishes to keep fit and active and improve strength. It encourages self-esteem and discipline which we all need to succeed in the goals and dreams we wish to achieve.

I do not know how much I will be able to help just yet but I would like to find out more about your training,diet,etc. Sleep, rest, diet are key players.

Which creatine do you use and how often is your intake?

Do you train with a partner?

How much is your body fat %?

I also recommend changing the order you do your workouts and exercises to keep things interesting.

Hello StartingStrengthSikh.

I am no trainer but I have been training with a group of fitness enthusiasts for the 18 months and I have learnt alot.

I am happy to hear that someone wishes to keep fit and active and improve strength. It encourages self-esteem and discipline which we all need to succeed in the goals and dreams we wish to achieve.

I do not know how much I will be able to help just yet but I would like to find out more about your training,diet,etc. Sleep, rest, diet are key players.

Which creatine do you use and how often is your intake?

Do you train with a partner?

How much is your body fat %?

I also recommend changing the order you do your workouts and exercises to keep things interesting.

Howdy,

creatine: 5g (have tried 10g also - i may go back to this).

training partner: Nope - would help...but meh.

bodyfat: around 14-15%

in terms of 'change' ...change = heavier weight...no other change is really needed? How can I measure progress if I keep changing exercises (e.g. front squat / hack squat / back squat / low bar squat / high bar squat etc etc). Until the squat it self (in this case low bar squat) has been used as my 'foundation' I don't really need to switch things up.

The only 'change' I am thinking of is moving over the to an intermediate routine - but i really feel at this point that I am not at my 'limit' with beginner gains. The problem with an intermediate routine is that you add weight to the bar weekly/monthly and not regularly (every session). This wouldnt be a problem if my lifts were respectable.

I'm thinking of increasing calories by another 500-700 and see how it goes and then maybe another 500-700 for a 'final push'. I was hoping that there were other sikhs that could perhaps suggest something other than caloric increase as we all share

a) diet needs

b) race? (I've read some studies that show this does make a difference, although not sure how valid this claim is).

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Also try drop sets ... they bring very quick progress

Use smith machine more than free wieghts ..

This is something beginner trainees should avoid like a plague. If you have been training for 2+ years on a regular basis and can squat more than 1.5 times your body weight, then yes drop sets are okay occasionally.

As far as Smith machine is concerned, if you do not know what you are doing, you can easily injure yourself or quickly develop muscle imbalances.

Hmm, no replies!

Are there any strength trainers - what are your lifts and how long did it take for you to get there? diet? routine?

Hi StartingStrengthSikh, I'm a dedicated strength trainer, I have been training for 2 and a half years seriously I'm 21 years old... Currently my Bench press is at 90kg x 5 Reps and 105kg is my single rep max, squat is 120kg x 5 and 140kg is my single rep max, deadlift is at 160kg x 5 and 180kg is my single rep, overhead press is currently at 70kg for 5 rep sets! I only weigh in at 10stones 8lbs

Luckily I have been blessed with good strong genetics, my father is very strong as is my younger brother! However before I started training I was super skinny and super weak! My advice to you is to eat as much as food as possible and get your form in total check, technique is everything, fortunately I have been lucky to train with some very good powerlifters and bodybuilders due to my dad knowing lots of these people, surround yourself with the right people and your gains will rocket! I currently supplement with Gaspari Myofusion Protein, Maximuscle Cyclone and USN Anabolic Creatine..

Also my bench press was stuck at 80kg for a long time, I've bumped it to the current weight I mentioned in the last month or so with the use of Super Sets and Negative reps, i.e. load the bar to a totally impossible weight for you, I loaded the bar to 120kg and did a 3/4 second descent, have a spotter pick the weight off you and repeat, 2 sets of 5 reps of these at the end of your workout for a few weeks and you should see some improvement! let me know if you would like anymore advice! take care and good luck, train hard! :biggrin2: