"Sikh" Men And Alcohol Abuse

Pyara

....These alcoholics in our community need our sangat and help, we shouldnt shun them away. we need to inspire them to give up the alcohol. we've all heard of AA (alcoholics anonymous) its an alcohol support group in the uk. It has a 12 step programme which is very closely linked to having faith in god/a higher power. (although perhaps promotes christianity). Perhaps we could adopt this 12 step strategy at set up our own alcohol support groups where we can promote sikhi.

Good idea. It may help some of our brothers and sisters suffering from alcohol addiction.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

There seems to be some rehab facilities set up for Punjabis here in Vancouver.

I am aware of one called 'nashey shado' that is information and personal counseling that is held at the main gurdwara every few weeks !

I think that it was set up at the gurdwara because of it's convenience and location.

My impression is that the younger generation is not as into alcohol as much as the UK youth, but there are definitely more users of marijuana and coke here.

Even regular smoking amongst Punjabi youth is very low compared to UK, but the hard liquor drinkers are the older babay here by far.

Saying that, I have also been very surprised to see some of the most fit older babay and bibian compared to UK. If you go to any gym, park or running tracks, then you shall see numbers of older Punjabis keeping fit and active, and some of them can outrun and outwalk the younger lot by far !!

Some more references to Alcohol abuse in the Sikh Community.

http://www.bmj.com/c...543/682.extract

The British Medical Journal reports:

"34% of Irish men drink above the weekly recommended limit of 21 units of alcohol, compared with 29% of the general Irish population and 27% of the general British population. A similar problem exists in south Asian (Sikh) male migrants to the UK, where problem drinking is higher than in the Sikh population in South Asia and similar to that of the UK general population."

http://www.emphasisn...khCommunity.pdf

"Numerous studies have shown that Sikh men are more likely to drink alcohol, consume alcohol more frequently and in greater amounts than any other South Asian group."

http://alcalc.oxford...28/1/1.abstract

"Consumption is higher in Sikhs than in Hindus or Muslims, and heavy spirit drinking appears to be especially common among Sikh men. Alcohol-related psychiatric admission rates for South Asians have risen since 1971, and appear to be especially high in Sikh men. The high alcohol-related morbidity rates in this group are a priority for further research and efforts at prevention."

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

http://onlinelibrary...55958258.d01t01

"Sikhs were most likely to be regular drinkers followed by whites and Hindus."

"Among regular drinkers Sikhs had higher average Alcohol Problem Scale Scores than did white men or Hindus."

http://www.alcoholle...aire_Turner.pdf

"Sikh girls drinking frequently increased in the 1990s"

"Sikh men, have high prevalence of alcohol-related liver damage and liver cirrhosis"

Learn from Muslims....

i used to be a drinker for 3 years when i entered highschool it was all down to the company i kept. there were about 8 of us all sikhs and our weekend consisted of getting together at the park blasting bhangra music from our cars and drinking till we threw up. It was a very destructive life i was living where it got to the point tht all we did was get drunk and couldnt have fun without a pegg or two. then my whole world just came crashing down on me when i saw my mom cry and i thought about what poison alcohol n drugs are i mean we turn into completely different people and dont have fear for anyone and act like animals it was then i decided i was going to give up the booze for good n the funny part is i still sometimes hang out with those same friends and guess what there still getting drunk every weekend and everytime im with them they always offer me a shot knowing fully well im off the stuff when i say no im good they say ur not a true punjabi/sikh i cringe when they pull tht line there good boys but beyond help now n the saddest part is one these guys dad is an alcoholic always fighting with his mom and instead of doing good hes heading down the same path as his father n this is the part tht really breaks my heart this is why i hate alcohol

My father was also an alcoholic and I asked him why Sikh/Punjabi men when they get to a certain age start to drink heavily. The answer he gave me was "Because we do not wish to live!". I think a lot of Sikh men suffer from depression and try to kill themselves. I have seen relatives in India as well as UK where Sikh males have killed themselves through alcohol, I have seen our men drink around shop corners with the same depressed expressions on their faces like my father. There is a lot of anger, fustration and bitterness. They tend not to talk about these things and deal with these issues and it manifests itself with heavy drinking.