"Sikh" Men And Alcohol Abuse

Pyara

• 7 months later...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

I do not speak for AA but I just wanted to clarify something about Alcoholics Anonymous..

It does not promote Christianity.

I am a member of 12 step fellowships like AA and there are Sikhs, Christians, Jews, Muslims etc. each has the freedom to have our own relationship with God - all are welcome. It is a spiritual programme, not Religious.

Being a sikh doesnt make me any different and am not treated any differently in the meetings I go to. These fellowships have taken the sharam out of feeling different, having problems, feeling different etc and have gifted me with alot of freedom and peace.

We have problems in our culture about being able to handle problems on our own, being "strong", not cowering, being able to drink like a man, conforming to young masculine/feminine stereotypes and other sorts of bigoted attitudes.

I am not a holy or even religious man... but Sat Sangat, please let us not forget that the strength of our beloved shaheeds did not come from a macho punjabi ego, but from God.

And so it is with addiction, a spiritual problem, a thirst for God (letter from Carl Jung to Bill W - AA's cofounder). And as someone who suffers with addiction, how lucky am I?

I must have a spiritual solution and I find it in Waheguru.

being a member of fellowships like AA, I have been brought closer to Sikhi.

But, even if you are an atheist or agnostic, that is completely fine too. You are welcome. You can have an idol, a hamster, a tree as your God.

The important thing in this programme is that this "God" is something, but not us.

and.....

It does make you a bad sikh for attending a meeting to get help!

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

• 4 months later...