Langar Seva With Socks On

Kalsingh

Is it wrong to do langar seva (serving langar) to the sangat who are sitting on the floor with socks on?

I ask because some people at the gurdwara I was doing it at didn't like it (gianis and the sangat themselves), they told me to take my socks off. But I have really bad nail fungal infections on both my feet and it is extremely embarrassing and also unhygenic if you think about it (bare feet which have this infection a few inches away from peoples plates). A few people were ok with that and let me carry on when I explained myself but there have been instances where they are still not happy and say I can't do it.

I make sure I wear clean socks when I go to the gurdwara to do seva i.e. they have not been worn at home. Is this ok?

Thanks

When I use to attent gurmat camps, they use to tell us that wearing socks is like bringing your shoes into darbar sahib but when I look some people who do not wear socks have really dirty feet so when they come to the gurdwara you can't wash them so it's kind of like the same principle I guess as wearing socks. Dirt is everywhere on our clothes it's the pollution in the air. What I suggest is if you want to wear socks bring clean washed socks then put them on when you get to the gurdwara that should be fine.

Hope I helped

I've seen some people in this country (the UK), with bare feet in the Gurdwara go in and out of it without putting their shoes on. To me this is even worse because all that dirt they have accumulated they are bringing into the darbar. Its like people from India don't know the meaning of shoes. I see it all the time. I have even seen them go to the toilets bare foot which is disgusting. That is more disrespectful than wearing socks any day.

I could try the bandage thing but I am bit embarrassed as the bandage would only go on my nails and I feel quite a few people will suspect what my problem is (fungal infection).

I guess I'll bring clean socks to the Gurdwara and put them on there, I see no problem with that.

Thanks

Get your fungal infection sorted out, it will take time but it can be done within a year. Depending on how bad it is, you can sort it at home with a kit called Curanail, and the skin can be sorted out with a cream called Lamisil. If it is more severe then go see a doctor, wearing socks is only going to make the infection worse cos your feet are sweating even more in socks.

Keep your feet clean and dry, apply the medication and you should be sorted.

There is no issue with that. You have a medical problem, these so called 'Giainis' or whom ever tells you it's not allowed are talking nonsense. Seva is done with Sharda Pyar [Love and Humilty] so it matters not.

Carry on, ignore them. Guru Fateh.

Can u go into darbar sahib with a clean pair of socks' on ???

Of course, where do you live? The majority of the Sangat do, apart from a few it's common practice. Why would that matter anyway. :confused: