Gyaan: Divine-Knowledge

Taken from http://abhiyaas.blogspot.com/2006/04/gyaan-divine-knowledge_30.html

Gyaan: Divine-Knowledge

(Ang 465)

ਘੜੀਆ ਸਭੇ ਗੋਪੀਆ ਪਹਰ ਕੰਨ੍ਹ੍ਹ ਗੋਪਾਲ ॥

ghurreeaa subhae gopeeaa pehur kunnu gopaal

All the hours are the milk-maids, and the quarters of the day are the Krishnas.

ਗਹਣੇ ਪਉਣੁ ਪਾਣੀ ਬੈਸੰਤਰੁ ਚੰਦੁ ਸੂਰਜੁ ਅਵਤਾਰ ॥

gehunae poun paanee baisunthur chundh sooruj avuthaar

The wind, water and fire are the ornaments; the sun and moon are the incarnations.

ਸਗਲੀ ਧਰਤੀ ਮਾਲੁ ਧਨੁ ਵਰਤਣਿ ਸਰਬ ਜੰਜਾਲ ॥

sugulee dhuruthee maal dhun vuruthan surub junjaal

All of the earth, property, wealth and articles are all entanglements.

ਨਾਨਕ ਮੁਸੈ ਗਿਆਨ ਿਵਹੂਣੀ ਖਾਇ ਗਇਆ ਜਮਕਾਲੁ ॥੧॥

naanuk musai giaan vihoonee khaae gaeiaa jumukaal

O Nanak, without divine knowledge, one is plundered, and devoured by the Messenger of Death. 1

Guru Sahib tells us in this Shabad by Guru Nanak Dev Jee, one will only cross the world Ocean through divine knowledge, without divine knowledge one will be plundered.

How do we receive Divine knowledge?

Divine knowledge can only be gifted Gurmukh through Guru Sahib, through ones past Karam and profit of Naam. One has to Japna Naam Athai Pehar (24/7) without any Worldly thoughts in ones head, and one will be guided by Guru Sahib himself throughout ones life. One will have no need to read books, search for Gyaan etc, as all the Gyaan is within us, but we are not aware or as close as to ourselves as we should be, this is why we act according to our own Matt (mind), and not Gurmat (Gurus teaching). We will become Gurmat only if the Shabad has been lit within through Guru Sahib, this will help us realize our innerself.

ਪੰਡਿਤ ਵਾਚਿਹ ਪੋਥੀਆ ਨਾ ਬੂਝਿਹ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥

punddith vaachehi potheeaa naa boojhehi veechaar

The Pandits, the religious scholars, read their books, but they do not understand the real meaning.

ਅਨ ਕਉ ਮਤੀ ਦੇ ਚਲਹਿ ਮਾਇਆ ਕਾ ਵਾਪਾਰੁ ॥

an ko muthee dhae chulehi maaeiaa kaa vaapaar

They give instructions to others, and then walk away, but they deal in Maya themselves.

ਕਥਨੀ ਝੂਠੀ ਜਗੁ ਭਵੈ ਰਹਣੀ ਸਬਦੁ ਸੁ ਸਾਰੁ ॥੬॥

kuthunee jhoothee jug bhuvai rehunee subudh s saar

Speaking falsehood, they wander around the world, while those who remain true to the Shabad are excellent and exalted. 6

(Ang 55 )

In this ShabadGuru Sahib explains that the Pandits have so much knowledge through reading the Vedas, Puraanas and many holy books, but their mind is still polluted through Maayaa (worldly entanglements), they give Gyaan to others yet their own minds are filthy. Gyaan will only be received through the blessings of Guru Sahib.

ਹਰਿ ਕਾ ਜਨੁ ਹਿਰ ਜਲ ਕਾ ਮੀਨਾ ਹਿਰ ਿਬਸਰਤ ਫੂਿਟ ਮਰੈ ॥੩॥

har kaa jun har jul kaa meenaa har bisuruth foott murai

The humble servant of the Lord is a fish in the Water of the Lord. Forgetting the Lord, he would dry up and die. 3

(Ang 1263)

When we forget Guru Sahib for only a second we will suffer just like the Fish suffers without Water. As Manmukh we will not realize this suffering, the suffering will always be with us through emotion and vice, we will never be happy and content, happiness will only last for seconds. Through Naam it will last life times.

Daas has read very little books the very little Gyaan Daas has, has been gifted through Guru Sahib and Naam. Our mind will become relaxed at peace and poised through Naam, this is when we are gifted Gyaan and realization.

(Ang 380)

ਭ੍ਰਮ ਮਹਿ ਸੋਈ ਸਗਲ ਜਗਤ ਧੰਧ ਅੰਧ ॥

bhrum mehi soee sugul juguth dhundh andh

The whole world is asleep in doubt; it is blinded by worldly entanglements.

ਕੋਊ ਜਾਗੈ ਹਰਿ ਜਨੁ ॥੧॥

kooo jaagai har jun

How rare is that humble servant of the Lord who is awake and aware. 1

ਮਹਾ ਮੋਹਨੀ ਮਗਨ ਪਿ੍ਰਅ ਪ੍ਰੀਿਤ ਪ੍ਰਾਨ ॥

mehaa mohunee mugun pria preeth praan

The mortal is intoxicated with the great enticement of Maya, which is dearer to him than life.

ਕੋਊ ਤਿਆਗੈ ਿਵਰਲਾ ॥੨॥

kooo thiaagai virulaa How rare is the one who renounces it. 2

ਚਰਨ ਕਮਲ ਆਨੂਪ ਹਰਿ ਸੰਤ ਮੰਤ ॥

churun kumul aanoop har sunth munth

The Lord's Lotus Feet are incomparably beautiful; so is the Mantra of the Saint.

ਕੋਊ ਲਾਗੈ ਸਾਧੂ ॥੩॥

kooo laagai saadhoo

How rare is that holy person who is attached to them. 3

ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਧੂ ਸੰਗਿ ਜਾਗੇ ਿਗਆਨ ਰੰਿਗ ॥

naanuk saadhoo sung jaagae giaan rung O Nanak, in the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy, the love of divine knowledge is awakened;

ਵਡਭਾਗੇ ਕਿਰਪਾ ॥੪॥੧॥੩੯॥

vuddubhaagae kirupaa the Lord's Mercy is bestowed upon those who are blessed with such good destiny. 4139

Guru Sahib explains in this Shabad how the World is suffering through Maayaa, one will only be purified through the Mantra of Guru Sahib. Guru Sahib says in Sangat Divine knowledge is awakened, as one is in single-minded concentration of the Naam whilst in Saadh Sangat. Through this concentration one will be blessed with the knowledge of Divine. Single-minded concentration needs to be Athai Pehar (24/7).

We will be gifted Gyaan in many ways through Naam and Guru Sahib, one thing we should never do is ignore the inner Gyaan Guru Sahib has gifted us. Sometimes we ignore this Gyaan coming from Guru Sahib and Naam, thinking it is our own Man matt (filthy mind). One will realize true Gyaan, as this Gyaan will feel 100% right in ones mind, one will feel steadfast, one will realize the Gyaan is true, as the Gyaan will be very positive, keep us humble, and it will be for the benefit of another.

(Ang 482)

ਸਾਸੁ ਕੀ ਦੁਖੀ ਸਸੁਰ ਕੀ ਪਿਆਰੀ ਜੇਠ ਕੇ ਨਾਿਮ ਡਰਉ ਰੇ ॥

saas kee dhukhee susur kee piaaree jaeth kae naam dduro rae

I am bothered by my mother-in-law, Maya, and loved by my father-in-law, the Lord. I fear even the name of my husband's elder brother, Death.

ਸਖੀ ਸਹੇਲੀ ਨਨਦ ਗਹੇਲੀ ਦੇਵਰ ਕੈ ਬਿਰਿਹ ਜਰਉ ਰੇ ॥੧॥

sukhee sehaelee nunudh gehaelee dhaevur kai birehi juro rae

O my mates and companions, my husband's sister, misunderstanding has seized me, and I am burning with the pain of separation from my husband's younger brother, divine knowledge. 1

ਮੇਰੀ ਮਤਿ ਬਉਰੀ ਮੈ ਰਾਮੁ ਿਬਸਾਿਰਓ ਿਕਨ ਿਬਿਧ ਰਹਿਨ ਰਹਉ ਰੇ ॥

maeree math bouree mai raam bisaariou kin bidh rehan reho rae

My mind has gone insane, since I forgot the Lord. How can I lead a virtuous lifestyle?

syjY rmqu nYn nhI pyKau iehu duKu kw sau khau ry ]1] rhwau ]

saejai rumuth nain nehee paekho eihu dhukh kaa so keho rae

He rests in the bed of my mind, but I cannot see Him with my eyes. Unto whom should I tell my sufferings? 1Pause

bwpu swvkw krY lrweI mwieAw sd mqvwrI ]

baap saavukaa kurai luraaee maaeiaa sudh muthuvaaree

My step-father, egotism, fights with me, and my mother, desire, is always intoxicated.

ਬਡੇ ਭਾਈ ਕੈ ਜਬ ਸੰਗਿ ਹੋਤੀ ਤਬ ਹਉ ਨਾਹ ਿਪਆਰੀ ॥੨॥

buddae bhaaee kai jub sung hothee thub ho naah piaaree

When I stayed with my elder brother, meditation, then I was loved by my Husband Lord. 2

khq kbIr pMc ko Jgrw Jgrq jnmu gvwieAw ]

kehuth kubeer punch ko jhuguraa jhuguruth junum guvaaeiaa

Says Kabeer, the five passions argue with me, and in these arguments, my life is wasting away.

ਝੂਠੀ ਮਾਇਆ ਸਭੁ ਜਗੁ ਬਾਧਿਆ ਮੈ ਰਾਮ ਰਮਤ ਸੁਖੁ ਪਾਇਆ ॥੩॥੩॥੨੫॥

jhoothee maaeiaa subh jug baadhiaa mai raam rumuth sukh paaeiaa

The false Maya has bound the whole world, but I have obtained peace, chanting the Name of the Lord. 3325

Vaho Bhagat Kabeer Jee, how amazing and blessed was this Saint, who received amazing knowledge through the Divine Guru. This Shabad explains it all.

This Gyaan through Naam will bring us to the Avasthaa (stage) of Sehaj (Nivaana). One will feel untouchable by the World, but on the other hand one will be very humble. This Gyaan will help us get through all worldly affairs in Sehaj, without the mind wandering. One will feel like a Lion, as Guru Gobind Singh Jee said, as one would feel Guru Sahib is always close at hand, but one will always remain Nimaana (humble) to Guru Sahib and his creation.

(Ang 3 Bhai Gurdaas Jee Deeaa Varaan)

ਸਾਧ ਸੰਗਤਿ ਭਉ ਭਾਉ ਸਿਹਜ ਬੈਰਾਗ ਹੈ॥

saadh sungath bho bhaao sehij bairaag hai

Fear (of God) and love (for mankind) being diffused in the holy congregation the sense of non-attachment always prevails.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸਹਿਜ ਸੁਭਾਉ ਸੁਰਿਤ ਸੁ ਜਾਗ ਹੈ॥

gurumukh sehij subhaao surath s jaag hai

By nature, the Gurmukhs remian alert i.e. their consciousness remains attuned to Sabad, the Word.

ਮਧੁਰ ਬਚਨ ਆਲਾਉ ਹਉਮੈਂ ਤ੍ਯਾਗ ਹੈ॥

mudhur buchun aalaao houmai thuaag hai

They speak sweet words and they have already expelled ego from their selves.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਮਿਤ ਪਰਥਾਉ ਸਦਾ ਅਨੁਰਾਗ ਹੈ॥

sathigur math puruthaao sudhaa anuraag hai

Conducting themselves according to the wisdom of the Guru they always remain imbued in love (of the Lord).

ਪਿਰਮ ਿਪਆਲੇ ਸਾਉ ਮਸਤਕ ਭਾਗ ਹੈ॥

pirum piaalae saao musuthuk bhaag hai

They feeling fortunate quaff the cup of love (of the Lord).

ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਜੋਤਿ ਬ੍ਰਹਮਾਓ ਗ੍ਯਾਨ ਚਰਾਗ ਹੈ॥

brehum joth brehumaaou guaan churaag hai

Realising the light of the Supreme in their mind they become competent to light the lamp of divine knowledge.

ਅੰਤਰ ਗੁਰਮਤ ਚਾਉ ਅਲਿਪਤ ਅਦਾਗ ਹੈ॥

anthur gurumuth chaao aliputh adhaag hai

Due to the wisdom obtained from Guru they have unlimited enthusiasm and they remain untouched by maya and the dirt of the evil propensities.

vIh iekIh cVwau sdw suhwg hY ]ñó]

veeh eikeeh churraao sudhaa suhaag hai

In the context of worldliness, they always conduct themselves in a superior position i.e. if the world is twenty, they are twenty one.

Bhai Gurdaas Jee has shown the amazing qualities of a Lion (Gursikh) in this Shabad.

People in general will realize this amazing character and quality in one and usually tend to share their problems, as Guru Sahib says in Baanee one will always suffer through this filthy mind which has not been purified through Naam. Their desires will leave them suffering through stress and depression, their mind will never be content, and they will never find peace and happiness, as they have not realized their coming and going in this world, and above all they have not realized Guru Sahib and Naam. The amazing thing is when people in general share their suffering with a Gursikh who Japs Naam, they will always walk away contented, as the Gurmukh will give them the perfect cure through the words of Guru Sahib and Naam. This is the power of Gyaan (divine knowledge).

(Ang 19 Bhai Gurdaas Jee Deeaa Vaaraan)

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਸਾਧ ਅਸਾਧ ਸਾਧ ਵਖਾਣੀਐ॥

gurumukh saadh asaadh saadh vukhaaneeai

Gurmukh accomplishes the intractable and hence is called sadhu.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਬੁਧਿ ਿਬਬੇਕ ਿਬਬੇਕੀ ਜਾਣੀਐ॥

gurumukh budh bibaek bibaekee jaaneeai

Gurmukh has such wisdom, which is competent to separate water from milk. This is why he is called wise.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਭਾਉ ਭਗਤਿ ਭਗਤ ਪਛਾਣੀਐ॥

gurumukh bhaao bhugath bhuguth pushaaneeai

The devotion of gurmukh is loving devotion.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਬ੍ਰਹਮ ਗਿਆਨ ਿਗਆਨੀ ਬਾਣੀਐ॥

gurumukh brehum giaan giaanee baaneeai

Since the gurmukhs attain divine knowledge, they are called knowledgeable ones (jnanis).

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਪੂਰਣ ਮਤਿ ਸ਼ਬਦ ਨੀਸਾਣੀਐ॥

gurumukh poorun math shubudh neesaaneeai

Gurmukhs have the wisdom fully stamped and marked by the Word.

ਗੁਰਮੁਖ ਪਉੜੀ ਪਤਿ ਿਪਰਮ ਰਸ ਮਾਣੀਐ

gurumukh pourree path pirum rus maaneeai

Climbing the stairs of high regards, the gurmukh enjoys the delight of love of the beloved Lord.

Bhai Gurdaas Jee explains the Gurmukh being different from every other being in the Universe, as the Gurmukh is blessed with loving devotion by Guru Sahib of Naam. Divine knowledge will only come through Naam and Guru Sahib, why waste time let us change the face of the Earth through the teachings of Gurbaanee and the loving devotion of Naam.