Why Bother About Casts?

KALLY

Why do we always want to know whether one is jatt, chamar , chura, patra , thakan etc .. everyone does it so i dont want any comments like " in sikhism tehre is no cast system " which i would beg to defer ( pardon the pun) espiacally Jatts, the amount ive time herad jatts slag off chamars patra's etc .. its rude and very disrespectful ..... I would like some comments on this as i know you know what im on about ..

It's actually Castes! Here we do not understand your silly chavvish slang text talk...

Yes it exists, along with many other things. Go and resolve it.

It does exist many Sikhs can turn a blind eye and say they don't believe in the caste system, but obviously people do. Look at individual families you will see that most are married within the caste system.

Why- well caste is relate to culture and traditions you get these at weddings the groom will wear whats related to his caste it's nothing to do with religion. it's the way certain caste people will carry out certain traditions but hey most of them are Hindu related still people have not stopped including rakhri lhori and many other traditions. it's almost like a shame if one higher caste marries a lower why there it is again culture/tradition. If everyone was to follow the true way of Sikhism and hit out rituals then we would all be like a big family. Rather than look at caste look beyond and see the light of god shines in all. So look out for who is good not the label.

I think M4ndy has made a valid point, when a lower 'caste' person marries one from higher 'caste' then it is looked upon as an insult to the persons of the so called higher 'caste'. It is all tied up in punjabi culture. No offense to anyone but the Jatts regard themsleves as the true Sikhs while the rest are almost a subclass below. Ramgharias have their own little circle with their own gurdwaras and same with the Bhattras.

The only way I can see to get out of this strangle hold is for the next generation to have no hang ups about marrying off their children into the same caste. The more we intermarry the more these barriers will come down. If you have a bunch of families marrying into different castes then no one can say one caste is better/higher then the other as you are most likely to be related to higher and lower 'caste' persons. I would say this is happening now but slowly.

However there is still a staggering amount of young generation people who have been brought up in the prejudices of the caste system and totally believe in the superiority of their own caste. :(

See I come from a jatt family background but I know better not to discriminate against people because jatt people ain't all perfect who is only god can judge. So what right do people have creating caste related gurdware what is that showing the generation today? Bhangra so be are another factor destroying our great belifs in Sikhism all this caste related songs lustful stuff it's not good and our people are to blame.

The major factor is culture/ traditions they need to stop so we can move forward from this. Caste is like a job title are people going say this person works in mcdonalds so I got to find someone who works in mcdonalds to marry them off. It's stupid when you think about it in reality.

Bhagat ravidass was a great man whose bani is in Sri guru Granth sahib ji so when we bow before guru ji we are bowing down to the bhagats as well. So the people who are stuck in the caste system read upon our great history and sort out traditions and lead the true way of life.

Thanks for the comments by amandy and bhunda , as for santlicifer stop being sooo rude and ignorant its people like you that tarnish sikhism ..Back to the topic - it does break my heart to hear the verbal abuse thats goes on .. People reading topic will understand what im talking about :mushroombounce:

Why do we always want to know whether one is jatt, chamar , chura, patra , thakan etc .. everyone does it so i dont want any comments like " in sikhism tehre is no cast system " which i would beg to defer ( pardon the pun) espiacally Jatts, the amount ive time herad jatts slag off chamars patra's etc .. its rude and very disrespectful ..... I would like some comments on this as i know you know what im on about ..

bhai sahib its not sikhs its humans, we as humans like the hierarchy if its not lower class middle class working class. but Guru Jee told us to stop this and do we do we ask the question r u part of the Jhata Taksal BudahDal or TarnaDal. As humans we like the hierarchy

I think M4ndy has made a valid point, when a lower 'caste' person marries one from higher 'caste' then it is looked upon as an insult to the persons of the so called higher 'caste'. It is all tied up in punjabi culture. No offense to anyone but the Jatts regard themsleves as the true Sikhs while the rest are almost a subclass below. Ramgharias have their own little circle with their own gurdwaras and same with the Bhattras.

The only way I can see to get out of this strangle hold is for the next generation to have no hang ups about marrying off their children into the same caste. The more we intermarry the more these barriers will come down. If you have a bunch of families marrying into different castes then no one can say one caste is better/higher then the other as you are most likely to be related to higher and lower 'caste' persons. I would say this is happening now but slowly.

However there is still a staggering amount of young generation people who have been brought up in the prejudices of the caste system and totally believe in the superiority of their own caste. :(

I agree with the Jatt bit. I belong to it, and have to say that's the main reasons we have divisions in Sikhism. They won't let Ravidassi Sikhs do the things we do, so they go and make 'Guru Ravidassi Temples, Dharmsalas' etc etc. We seem to think all others are beneath us, it's a sad sad affair.

Also when the elders ask Keri jaat da toon, I say koi jaat ni, they laugh and say don't you know? sarian di jaat hondi ah it's pathetic these so called 'siane' who have less knowlege than an cretin. :allears: