Maryada Of Sri Japjee Sahib Raul

VaheGuru Jee Kaa Khalsa

VaheGuru Jee Kee Fatheh!

Can the Sangath please point out the proper Maryada for doing Sri JapJee Sahib Raul Seva that is alongside Sri Akhand Paath Sahib Jee.

In particular:

I'm aware that one must or ought to have had Santhia Daath, and recite in accordance with Bisraams etc.

When one starts the Jaap, do you recite a Shabad first like 'Dandaut Bandhan Anik Baar Sarab Kala Samrath' or just do Arambh (begin) the Jaap?

Do you read quietly, or just in the mind, or whisper the Jaap?

Do you recite at a relatively slow pace (20/25 minutes per Jaap) or at a normal pace (15 minutes per Jaap)?

Physical maryada, I'm aware you that you must wear a Hazooria, is it okay to cover your mouth with it whilst reciting?

Also, one must have full Ishnaan (Sareer and Kes) before sitting. And do Ardhaas before and after the Raul Seva in order to seek forgiveness for mistakes and the Kirpa to read Baani Shudh.

What else can be done to keep Sathkaar ... like turning the Angs and can Chaur Sahib Seva be done whilst reciting?

Apologies for all the questions ... Hoping Sangath can give a detailed reply as even the basic Maryada shouldn't be overlooked.

VaheGuru!

vaheguru ji ka khalsa vaheguru ji ki fateh

sorry no one replied- i will try my best to answer your questions.

when the ardaas is done for the akhand paat arambh, after the hukamnama the paati singh doing maharaj's sewa starts the akhand paat from 'ikoankaar satnaam ' etc when the paati singh starts the jap ji sahib paat, the paati who is doing the jap ji sahib raul from the pothi sahib starts similtaneously. so you dont read any saloks etc before.

all the jap ji sahib paat is done silently while the akhand paat sahib is normaly read out loud. but if you find it hard to read it mentally like that, you can whisper the paat very quietly but it should be made sure that the main paati is not disturbed etc.

with jap ji sahib raul you can READ AT ANY PACE you want. fast or slow it doesnt matter with jap ji sahib raul, whereas it is different with guru granth sahib raul.

it is a must that before doing any raul etc or sewa in akhand paat you should do Full ishnan ( kesh also). and yes it is VERY good if you cover your mouth with hazuria. another important thing is to not touch the floor of where your sitting, and then turn the pages of the pothis. if you need to touch the floor i.e. doing matha tekh or getting up support, cover your hand in ur hazuri. turn the angs with satkaar and not in a rushed manner.normaly in taksal etc it is taught to turn the ang from the top with your finger and take it down and then turn the ang. you can do chaur sahib every once in a while if you want to, but agian it shoudn't disturb the main paatis etc.

VaheGuru Jee Kaa Khalsa

VaheGuru Jee Kee Fatheh!

Dhanvaad Jivan Jee ... your message was very much appreciated and thank you for replying to my questions :)

In addition, kindly check out the following link for 'Paathaa Dee Sankhep Maryada' written by Baba Teja Singh Ji Nihang Singh Mehro Vale, student of Baba Gurbachan Singh Ji Bhindranwale.

http://www.nihangsingh.org/website/mm-pathmaryada.html

Sri Akaal Jee Sahae!

Sat Sri Akal Ji

Can someone please tell me what the meaning of the word "raul" is?

Also, can you please explain this entire thing to me, as I'm unfamiliar with this. It sounds like you carry on your own private continual recitation of Japji Sahib in darbar sahib while the Akhand Paath is going on?

Also, thanks for mentioning the scarf the person reading wears-I never new the name and have been wondering. I saw a little bit of an Akhand Paath this Vaisakhi just gone and wondered why the reader had his mouth covered when he started reading. Thanks.

Gurfateh.

Sat Sri Akal Ji

Can someone please tell me what the meaning of the word "raul" is?

Also, can you please explain this entire thing to me, as I'm unfamiliar with this. It sounds like you carry on your own private continual recitation of Japji Sahib in darbar sahib while the Akhand Paath is going on?

Also, thanks for mentioning the scarf the person reading wears-I never new the name and have been wondering. I saw a little bit of an Akhand Paath this Vaisakhi just gone and wondered why the reader had his mouth covered when he started reading. Thanks.

Gurfateh.

A raul refers to the 2 hour duty of a paathi continuously reading from Sri Guru Granth Sahib JI or form the Jap Ji Sahib pothi during the Akhand Path.

You are correct. There is a simultaneous reading of Jap Ji Sahib in the Darbar Sahib while the Akhand Path is being conducted.

The paathis will usually cover their mouths to ensure that no beadby takes place with saliva during recitation falling on the angs.

You can find some more information about Akhand Paths here:

http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/paths.html

(See the post above for more information about maryada in Punjabi).

K.