Questions For Amritdhari Sikhs

singh1006

I have a story to share and have some questions based on that.

Before you judge me I want to let you know that I consider myself a Sikh as I wear turban and keep untrimmed beard although not a true Sikh as I eat meat and drink alcohol.

But I am not writing on this forum to discuss my belief in Sikhism but to ask some questions to Amritdhari Sikhs.

I live in Texas and have worked for a multinational company for few years now.

One of the managers in my Dept came to me couple of weeks ago and told me that one of his new neighbors is a Sikh and everybody in the neighborhood thinks he is a weirdo.

When I asked him the reason for this view of everyone he told me that neither does he eat meat nor does he drink beer with these guys.

So I explained it to him that it is not really allowed in Sikhism and what I am doing is considered a sin.

That guy is really faithful to his religion and thats why he doesn't commit these sins.

Then he asked me what is the status of women is Sikhism as he always treats his wife badly and this manager's wife doesn't like this going on in their neighborhood. But they try to stay away from it. I had hard time explaining this one as Sikhism regards women higher than men. Anyways I explained it to him the religious and cultural differences in Punjab and lot of stories about Sikhism always telling you the right thing to do but people committing sins as I was doing by eating meat and drinking liquor.

We didn't have any discussions after that about Sikhism but today all of a sudden he came to me and started talking to me about another issue they have come with this Sikh neighbor of theirs. He told me that this guy is freaking out everybody in the neighborhood. He said "this guy always wears a turban, has a long beard , always wears his traditional white dress and on top he has big strap going around his chest and a knife hanging in there. Although the knife is in sheath but still everybody in the neighborhood is concerned about it and are discussing to call the Sherriff's office".

Now this really got me concerned. Although it is perfectly legal to wear Kirpan but Texas is known for its racist law enforcement. Morevoer there have been incidents when people have been arrested unlawfully and fired from jobs for wearing Kirpans. Most of these cases end up with Sikhs ending up winners but it is too much hassle to go through. Also if this happens people around you who got you arrested or fired in first place would learn only that you can wear Kirpan because of religious reason but they won't really know the reason you wear it.

Now based on this story I have few questions for Amritdhari Sikhs

1. If you wear your Kirpan on top of your shirt or Kurta, why can't you be little bit proactive and teach atleast your neigbors the significance of Kirpan so that they don't get freaked out and avoids you too much hassle to you. When that manager talked to me today about this issue, I opened Sikh Coalition website and printed a presentation they had it about Kirpan. That manager read the presentation and said now he understands why that guy has to wear it all the time and would take the presentation home and show it to his neighbors.

It was that simple. I understand Guru da Sikh is not scared of law enforcement or any of his neighbor when it comes to following religion, but what harm does it do to be little bit proactive and give some pamphlets about Kirpan to your neigbors whenever you move in to a new place.

2. I understand you can't eat meat and drink liquor and avoid going to such an event but what is wrong in socializing by inviting them over to your house for some vegetarian dinner.

3. What is up with the bad treatment of women.

You get all sorts of amritdhari people. Some are very good , some are ok and some are very bad. Even in normal life i cant fully trust what people say about others until i have seen it with my own eyes. You may get another guy in the neighbourhood who thinks the amritdhari person is decent. These are just a matter of peoples opinion. Now back to the questions im not an amritdhari but even i can answer those questions.

1. The guys isnt going to start handing out leaflets and go door to door to explain what he is wearing that is stupid - if somebody asks him im sure he can explain.

2. Pointless question - Doesnt have to if he doesnt want to.

3. If he treats his wife badly then he is wrong on that part but that is what your manager claims.

I'm not amritdhari but I can answer those questions.

1. To be honest people should know anyway since religious education is taught in schools but I'm not sure about the USA. obviously if I was from a different religion and saw someone wearing a kirpan I would think it's a religious symbol. If the neighbour is wanting to know what it is and what it represents why don't he just knock on his door and ask him.

2. Well it depends some neighbours are not the sociable type. Some people would rather remain private however if they would want to come over all they have to do is say so.

3. That's people preceptions of women. Many women today can do what a man can do e.g jobs. In Sikhism women aren't higher nor is a man women are considered equal to men. Without a women this world wouldn't exist. If he treats her bad he ain't a man. Respect should be a two way street give respect, recieve respect. Women back in the day were classes as second class citizens in some cases they still are today but that's individual familes tradition who think that have a boy is great but having a girl is a disaster. god should rightfully give a daughter but where there is a daughter god should give a brother. For some reason girls are considered expensive but if we all follow the teachings of the Gurus we wouldn't be in the expensive mess of drinking and eating meat at wedding parties and expect the girls side to pay for everything not right at all. We shouldn't have it in the first place. Tell him to treat his wife right I'm sure if he had a daughter and married her off he wouldn't like it if her husband was treating her bad.