Absause - Visiting People Who Have Had A Death In The Family

gur70kd

Waheguru ji ka khalsa

Waheguru ji ke fateh

Whenever there is a death in the family, my mother in law lets everyone know, and then expects everyone to come round over the next few weeks. As she is expecting guests she stays in and doesn't go out much, not even to the gurdwara on a sunday. If the guests are local, no food is offered. If the guests are from further away then they are offered a simple tea. She wears a white chuni, as do most of the guests. This happens whenever a death in the family occurs, even if they are in another country and even if we have never met them before, also when the person that has passed away is a very distant relative. Sometimes white sheets are put on the floor for the mourners and their is a lot of loud crying. It all feels a bit pretentious and strange.

Could anyone tell me the correct way to deal with death according to sikh beliefs, because I don't like to do things just because that's the way they've always been done especially when it feels wrong.

I have not actually had any experiences where I have actually been to a Sikh funeral as such. From what I know I think the white sheets and wearing of white chunni is tradition. moh is one of the 5 evils which we should implement. I know it's hard to deal with when a family member dies but loud crying won't bring the person back why cry when you are not permanent yourself? In all cases we have to accept the will of god. We all have to depart one day but you got to have faith that the person has actually emerged with god if that person lived the gursikh way. It's the game of the lord and death is a part which we all have to accept. It's tradition and and beliefs based upon individual families I don't think it's Sikh related. If you live in the west midlands go to the gurdwara in Edward street west bromwich they have leaflet which you can take about how to deal with death and what is done it gives a lot of information .

I hope I was of some help...