Sikh Unit ?

cool water

What are your views on them? Do you agree with their stirring up of tension between communities?

Do you guys agree with them using abusive language in their video's?

What are the next generation of Sikhs learning from these street lingo talking fools. How to behave disrespectful to other communities? How to act like a thug?

We seriously need to look at ourselves and see what people are promoting as Sikh and misrepresenting us.

We need them.

They have the street knowledge and the tools which youngsters need.

You won't get by in the City being middle class, speaking posh and a left wing humanity lover, you will get ironed out.

They also speak the language of which youngster scan relate too, a youngster who have no Sikhi in the house is not going to be able under stand or relate to some old bag Bhai whose been in England for 5 years.

Sikh Unit knows what youngsters are going through the problems they face what threats they are under, again some 70 yr old Bhai from the local Gurdwara doesn't.

Thing im concerned about is what they are teaching our youth and them escalating mini problems into a wider war between Sikhs and Muslims. When I listen to their lyrics on their videos its all negative about how depressing lifes they have on council estates and how "pakis" are always hating on them trying to fight them, stealing our girls. That is pathetic it makes Sikhs look like clowns. Also their use of Sikh imagery while they are swearing and talking "street" what kind of impression does that leave to outsiders?

They need to fix up, I rate their awareness programs but they shouldnt publish material that will incite more violence and hate where innocent people in both communties can get hurt.

I admire their artistic flare but do question whether they are sensationalising the "street" more than what it actually is.

Each to their own. I would rather a young punjabi lad who has an affiliation to hip hop listens to their message rather than some black gangsta. Some of Sikh Unit's stuff has a Sikhi focused message but some of it is just typical gangsta dreams!

Their tracks are not even good, they need some professional help because they seem to be wondering in the dark with no one supporting or guiding them what they should write or not and how to professionally put out their tracks. They got a good fan base around 2,000+ Sikhs considering they come from council estates. Maybe some of our music producing brothers can help them polish up their tracks and also remove the religous / racial slurs.

Thing im concerned about is what they are teaching our youth and them escalating mini problems into a wider war between Sikhs and Muslims. When I listen to their lyrics on their videos its all negative about how depressing lifes they have on council estates and how "pakis" are always hating on them trying to fight them, stealing our girls. That is pathetic it makes Sikhs look like clowns. Also their use of Sikh imagery while they are swearing and talking "street" what kind of impression does that leave to outsiders?

They need to fix up, I rate their awareness programs but they shouldnt publish material that will incite more violence and hate where innocent people in both communties can get hurt.

Depressing lives?

Pakis are always hating on them trying to fight them?

Council estates?

Stealing our girls?

This is what is out there and which is what I highlighted when you decided to say I'm a non Sikh making trouble.

The above points are probably an embarrassment to the middle classes and the Guardian readers,and to you but thats whats out there.

I think anyone with intelligence can work out that spewing out tracks of that nature will only have negative ripple effects out there. They may think they doing the Sikh community a favor but the wider implications they have not considered. They are influencing generations of younger Sikhs that are listening to mixed messages, at one hand they trying to be good Sikhs teaching Sikh history and on the other hand they are cussing and swearing and bad mouthing other communities. Did our past generations do awareness of Sikhi and issues like that?

Sikh Unit are a decent bunch of guys. Quite a few of them are ex-criminals and gangsters who found Sikhi in later life and cleaned up their ways. Regarding the content of their music, they are doing what all rap artists do, and merely reflecting their own experiences and opinions. After all, thats what rap music is supposed to be is it not?

Many of them have previously come form broken homes, their day to day experiences include fighting for survival, fighting with muslim youth and other grim realities that one may have to face if living in a ghetto inner city area.

Given that they are a bit rougher than your average table tennis player, these guys have also taken it upon themselves to do certain kinds of sewa that most people would avoid and stay away from, including protecting the community from certain pakistani gangs, saving girls who have been kidnapped by muslim guys and drugged up and other unpleasant activities.

Basically, regardless of whether or not you like them or respect them, or even agree with their views, they have a niche role in the Sikh community, which is to raise awareness of Islamic extremism, deal with certain bullies and provide back up to people who may have some beef with muslims for some reason or another. They have also been known to promote and support the profile of Sikh fighters such as Subaig Singh and Suki Dhami. They also have an important role to play in parchar and promotion of Sikhi. Admittedly, they will appeal to a select audience and use different methods, but they are effective non the less.

Whilst I acknowledge that there is a need for tolerence, inter-faith unity and working together, the threat to Sikhs from Muslim gangs is very real in many inner city areas.

We need a few of our own thugs to keep the enemy in check.