Back Support Belt

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did email a few clinics asking what method they used. this is what they said: What do you think? Number 1 doesnt sound as if it uses that technique, but it uses the one that they gave. This doesnt seem like it is as effective as the activator, Is that correct? Thoe other 2 however do provide the service. The replies are underneath:

1. The predominant technique we use is the McTimoney technique, for more information see www.mctimoneychiropractic.org

2. Thank you for your enquiry. The activator is one of the technique our Chiropractors use, as well as manipulation, acupuncture, and massage.

3. The chiropractors at this clinic do use the Activator with treating some patients here.The main technique used at the clinic is called Diversified.If however you would only want Activator methods used, then this could be arranged/provided for you.

Let me start off by reiterating that I'm not qualified to give you any advice. Please do consult with your doctor before taking anything on board :)

I personally would not recommend that you put on back support belt. Regardless of if there are skeletal or muscle issues, once you put it on, over time it will implicitly train the back muscles to not work as much (as the support belt will take a bulk of the load). This will make the muscles even weaker and can cause bigger problems as you get older. Your aim should be to fix the underlying issues. I would say hold off this decision until you have visited the chiropractor a few times.

I have personally experienced Activator and Diversified (manipulation) method and would never recommend Diversified method to anyone at all. A few years ago when I was getting treated using the Diversified method, it was not a pleasant experience; felt like my spine would break in half at times! Additionally, at the time of the adjustment, things felt quite good; but by the time I got home, pain was back.

I have just Googled the McTimoney technique and I quite like it. This technique seems quite similar to the what the Activator method entails. Nervous system function was the first thing my chiropractor tested during our assessment. He also went through my entire life history, noting any injuries etc.

You can watch a video of this technique here http://www.thechiropracticroom.co.uk/about_mctimoney.asp

I would stay away from #3 as their main technique is diversified, this tells me that the chiropractors employed there are probably well versed with that technique and not nearly as experienced with the Activator technique.

So the choice really boils down to #1 or #2.

Thanks the vid was good! interesting...

Your helps been v good...also i agree what you said about belt.because my physio also said the same thing, and i defo agree.

I think ill go for number 2. because that was recommended to me by someone who has been going there.

But the mctimoney system sounds like its v good too..the vid was v factual..

But I will see. As I just asked my doc for MRI scan. and he has said he would talk to my physio and compare note. there reluctant to send me off for further scans. but ill keep pushing with that first.

may also try reflexology next week as i will be meeting someone who does that.

OK thanks...Ill let you know how it goes.

Just another q that came to mind..so would you say its not worth having a belt at all, even if i were to wear it only at keertan programmes or when sitting at the gurdwara? as its getting to a point, when I canot sit now for long at all, in order to help, i though if i purchase a belt and wear it there, but not otherwise?

still a bad idea?

Thats v helpful. Thanks so mcuh for that...

Defo should help as my problems seem v similar to yours.

So do you reckon there is any point in buying a belt to support the back?

Unless you are in severe pain, or your doctor recommends it, I would not wear a belt.

From personal experience of weight lifting, back belts will eventually weaken the core musculature and do more damage than good. This increases the likelihood of injury in the future.

K.

Thanks agaain both of you.

Yes i best avoid belts then all together.

Shall i get one for weigtlifitng though? Because physio has said its ok for me to start weight training again, and i reckon a belt then would help prevent injury?

I cant really ask them about getting a belt for gurdwara, because from what theyve told em i should really be going gurdwara or sitting in that position for long time...But i cant stop going gurdwara, thats not an option.

Thanks agaain both of you.

Yes i best avoid belts then all together.

Shall i get one for weigtlifitng though? Because physio has said its ok for me to start weight training again, and i reckon a belt then would help prevent injury?

I cant really ask them about getting a belt for gurdwara, because from what theyve told em i should really be going gurdwara or sitting in that position for long time...But i cant stop going gurdwara, thats not an option.

I would ask your physio. If you don't need it, don't use it. Start off with very light weights and concentrate on perfect form and you should be fine unless there are serious structural issues you have not mentioned. Increase weight REALLY slowly and don't be tempted by your ego to slap on those extra weight plates when you feel yourself getting stronger.

Use the belt at the gurdwara if you need to sit for a long time. At home, practice sitting in the cross-legged position for increasing lengths of time. Spend time relaxing those same muscles right afterwards.

Get regular deep tissue or sports massages if you feel yourself getting painfully tense and tight over time, and check in with your physio from time to time.

I don't know if you already do this, but you may want to consider supplementing taurine (around 5g per day). Make sure you get enough pottasium in your diet also. The taurine and pottasium will help if the issue is cramping of muscles. (I have 5gs of taurine and a banana or two on deads and squats days.

K.