Name And Shame Tactics Being Used By Gurudwara Kalgidhar Sahib Leeds

Amrit

One thing our elders did was give money to Gurghars. They may have been moneh, not religiously inclined, but they worked day'n'night, overtime after overtime and not only built homes and businesses for themselves but built Gurdwaras for the community.

Today's generation, between 2 annual holidays to sum stupid muslim country like dubai, new car, newer house so they don't have to live with the "old folks".. they have become so stingy and in debt. I've seen well paid youth who refuse to spend a penny towards sewa,and when they do, will ask a billion questions like they putting there life savings on it. then go out an blow a few hundred quid in restaurants and cinemas.

Our youth is the problem. The religiously inclined ones are very bad spenders and very stingy towards sewa. The moneh just don't want to know. We need to learn from our elders. 300 gurdwaras in this country came though blood, sweat tears and dedication.

have we go that?

I agree with this. We youth are much better paid than our parents were. We have plenty of maya to go around. We have too many luxuries. If we really cared we would give up 1 or 2 of them to help fund Gurdwaras and projects. But we would rather cry about things.

More importantly does this Guru Ghar not have a hall which allows parties?

I think you might be right about the Party Hall! I remember this issue being raised before somewhere in Sikhsangat.com before.

Perhaps the orginal poster can confirm this??

Just found this.

http://www.sikhsangat.com/index.php?/topic/46890-gudwara-and-party-hall-in-same-building/

There was a development plan for a party hall in the Gurdwara back in 2009. What was the outcome to this?

There is due to be a party hall but as far as i know they have not got enough money to finish the building work on it which is all Guru Jee's Kirpa.

Also, I would not mind giving the money, however its the rules they try to impose on you i.e who you can talk to oh and the 101 pounds you have to give if you have a baby boy.....what gets me is the non gurmat activities going on under the title gurudwara.

Amrit,

Why are there two Bhattra Gurdwaras now in Leeds? Was there a rift between two factions? It must be difficult for both Gurughars as there are only a finite number of sangat to give support.

Just off topic, have you noticed the Radhaswamies have aquired a new building. Used to be a car showroom. Very large premesis and they are very organised, always at least four stewards helping the congregation direct and park their cars in the carpark. The board outside the building reads - Science of the Soul (?)

Amrit,

Why are there two Bhattra Gurdwaras now in Leeds? Was there a rift between two factions? It must be difficult for both Gurughars as there are only a finite number of sangat to give support.

Just off topic, have you noticed the Radhaswamies have aquired a new building. Used to be a car showroom. Very large premesis and they are very organised, always at least four stewards helping the congregation direct and park their cars in the carpark. The board outside the building reads - Science of the Soul (?)

the reason there is a rift is because the ones in question wanted to build a party hall and have done though it is not finished and hopefully never will be. The others who have a gurudwara in the park did not want a party hall.

Most likely a gurughar made by members of Bhatra caste. Sadly, this shows the worst of people involved. Usually, the people who instigate such things are people in position to afford to pay. £10 is not a lot to pay but in my town its £25. That is still ok but that is £25 or compulsory membership for anyone aged 16 or above. Here are the three issues which make people give up their membership:

1. So if you have 2 sons and you then that is £75/month for membership. Some people cannot afford this if the kids are not earning anything so parents have to pay.
  2. If there is work required on the gurdwara or lets say the a new building needs to be purchased every member has to pay in the region of £500 - £1000+. Again go back to a single family with 3 members who have to pay this amount and the kids are not earning anything.
  3. Final reason for people giving up membership is that people don't agree with the things that go on at the gurdwara and are unable to do anything because of the GANG culture that exists.

So once someone decides to give up the membership, then these individuals (almost acting like the mob) start these tactics.

Someone above said that, youngsters are bad at giving money and our elders were good. I disagree with that, I think the elders concentrated on building caste specific gurdwara and that is where the problem has started from. In my town we have two gurdwara sahibs, both caste based. I go to both and know that if they were together then things would be so amazing and both wouldn't be short of cash or space.

My personal opinion is that people nowadays can afford an £35/month IPhone contract easily so should be able to pay £10 - 25 to the gurdwara. However coercing them into donating is against Sikhi and makes the individual go away from Sikhi.

Never heard anything like this before...

Why should the sangat pay for anti Sikh activities? It's more like a business promoting bad things and earning money in dishonest ways, using it dishonestly through promoting meat and alochol on gurdwara owned halls how can it get any worse?

There are people starving in third world counties and here in the UK we have so much corruption that we have turned blind to see whats going on...