The Vedas On Women

Only five

Let's get down to discovering what the Vedas say about women. This was brought up in a different thread and there was a very biased side presented. Anyway here are verses from the Vedas that describe or speak about females.

Indra himself hath said, The mind of woman brooks not discipline, Her intellect hath little weight.

Rig Veda, book 8, hymn 33, verse 17

Nay, do not die, Purūravas, nor vanish: let not the evil-omened wolves devour thee. With women there can be no lasting friendship: hearts of hyenas are the hearts of women.

Rig Veda, book 10, hymn 95, verse 15

they could not discern the world of heaven, they saw this (cup) for the wives, they drew it; then indeed did they discern the world of heaven; in that (the cup) for the wives is drawn, (it serves) to reveal the world of heaven. Soma could not bear being drawn for women; making the ghee a bolt they beat it, they drew it when it had lost its power; therefore women are powerless, have no inheritance, and speak more humbly than even a bad man [2].

Yajur Veda 6/5/8/2

Almighty God, you have created this womb. Women may be born somewhere else but sons should be born from this womb

Atharva Ved 6/11/3

O Husband protect the son to be born. Do not make him a women

Atharva Ved 2/3/23

Let's get down to discovering what the Vedas say about women. This was brought up in a different thread and there was a very biased side presented. Anyway here are verses from the Vedas that describe or speak about females.

Ok, lets do it, lets see the facts, now can you provide your link for the verses you have put up, as there have been mistranslations of vedas

Firstly lets see this:

http://www.jhubc.it/bcjournal/articles/polisi.cfm

For example, Hinduism personifies divine strength and power in the form of a female figure referred to as Shakti. Saraswati, the Goddess of Learning, Music and Fine Arts, is portrayed as a female in Hindu texts and paintings. Likewise, Lakshmi is the Goddess of Wealth, a female personification. Parvati, the mountain goddess, is the consort to Shiva, one of the most important Hindu gods. The Goddess of Dawn is Usha, the Goddess of Rivers is Ganga, and the Goddess of Earth is Prithvi - all female personifications of incredibly important aspects of nature on which humanity depends

So picture forms of the basic points

http://agniveer.com/3309/women-in-hinduism/

" O Husband protect the son to be born. Do not make him a women

Atharva Ved 2/3/23 "

real translation:

Again case of wrong translation. Actual translation is “Protect the child in womb from infections and diseases. Be it a girl or boy, may it not be troubled.”

Here again, “Ma Pumansam Striyam Kran” is translated as “Do not make boy in womb into a girl”. But how can gender change in womb after fertilization? Actual meaning is “Do not trouble male or female child”.

"Indra himself hath said, The mind of woman brooks not discipline, Her intellect hath little weight.

Rig Veda, book 8, hymn 33, verse 17

"

real transalation:

Actual meaning: Do not try to rule over the thought process of woman. She can think very fast and in multiple dimensions.

This is also true. Women can think and connect at emotional levels that is impossible for men. That is why women can nurture children in ways men cannot even think of.

"Nay, do not die, Purūravas, nor vanish: let not the evil-omened wolves devour thee. With women there can be no lasting friendship: hearts of hyenas are the hearts of women.

Rig Veda, book 10, hymn 95, verse 15

"

real translation:

From this context, the Sukta is a disussion between a man who is attached to the woman and is ignoring his duties to the country as a general. The woman advises him in this mantra that: Do not run away from your duties due to indulgence in a woman. Do not share confidential details of country with anyone. They may be wolves in garb who want to destroy you and your country. A woman befriended for sensual purposes is a wolf in disguise. Hence stay away from sensual vices to protect the country.

"they could not discern the world of heaven, they saw this (cup) for the wives, they drew it; then indeed did they discern the world of heaven; in that (the cup) for the wives is drawn, (it serves) to reveal the world of heaven. Soma could not bear being drawn for women; making the ghee a bolt they beat it, they drew it when it had lost its power; therefore women are powerless, have no inheritance, and speak more humbly than even a bad man [2].

Yajur Veda 6/5/8/2

"

Note:

The first reference is not clear. In any case Taitriya Samhita is not original Yajurveda. Kindly provide a reference from actual Yajurveda (Madhyandina Shukla Yajurveda Samhita to be specific, which is the actual Veda Samhita).

"Almighty God, you have created this womb. Women may be born somewhere else but sons should be born from this womb

Atharva Ved 6/11/3

"

real translation:

The mantra meaning has been distorted to suit the agenda. The mantra has a deep meaning. But simply put it means that: “By Grace of Ishwar, woman is able to have a womb and nurture the child therein. May the woman have a son if she desires and planned so ELSE she may have a girl.”Thus the mantra simply implies that if couple has planned for a boy, may boy be born else girl be born. What translators have done is to translate ‘Anyatra’ as ‘Elsewhere’ instead of ‘In other condition or else’.

pah, !

Now lets see a few verses which correspond to first point made about Shakti:

The idea of equality was most forcibly expressed in the Rig Veda (Book 5, hymn 61. verse 8): The commentator explains this passage thus: "The wife and husband, being the equal halves of one substance, are equal in every respect; therefore both should join and take equal parts in all work, religious and secular."

Yajur Veda 20.9 : "There are equal rights for men and women to get appointed as ruler."

Yajur Veda 16.44 : "There should be a women army. Let the women be encouraged to participate in war."

Yajur Veda 10.26 : "In this mantra it is enforced that the wife of ruler should give education of politics to the others. Likewise the king do justice for the people, the queen should also justify her role."

[22]

Rig Veda 10-191-3 : O women! These mantras are given to you equally (as to men). May your thoughts, too, be harmonious. May your assemblies be open to all without discrimination. Your mind and consciousness should be harmonious. I (the rishi) give you these mantras equally as to men and give you all and equal powers to absorb (the full powers) of these mantras."

more verses to follow if you like!!

Anyone have ever seen vedas even physically keep aside question of reading them. If not on what bases and why are you discussing them.

1811 - I have spend 20 years learning and studying some thing now i feel i am ready for discussion

1911 - I have spend 5 years learning something i feel i am masters of the subject let me write a book on it

2011 - Opening google write "women in vedas" click search ... Ok I am now expert on the topic let me start another debate

But the question is why ?

Vedas are in sanskrit and anyone can translate them to any thing and put up on internet. Few people here even have trouble translating punjabi in english so whats the use of discussing which we dont even have first hand information of.

Just a thought

Anyone have ever seen vedas even physically keep aside question of reading them. If not on what bases and why are you discussing them.

1811 - I have spend 20 years learning and studying some thing now i feel i am ready for discussion

1911 - I have spend 5 years learning something i feel i am masters of the subject let me write a book on it

2011 - Opening google write "women in vedas" click search ... Ok I am now expert on the topic let me start another debate

But the question is why ?

Vedas are in sanskrit and anyone can translate them to any thing and put up on internet. Few people here even have trouble translating punjabi in english so whats the use of discussing which we dont even have first hand information of.

Just a thought

Exactly, too many people just search google and use the information found as a reliable source. Without studying the scriptures how can you comment.

Why do nindiya of sacred texts which many millions of people hold sacred. Just concentrate on your jeevan, be positive and constructive.

this is a sikh forum..why are discussing and debating over translattions of the vedas?...i have no issuees with the vedas or quraan...and do not wish to disrespect them myself or wish to hear others disrespect them on this forum...until we study and analyse the vedas ourselves who are we to judge?....lets concentrate on gurbani and leave the vedas to the hindus and the quraan to the muslims

Ok, lets do it, lets see the facts, now can you provide your link for the verses you have put up, as there have been mistranslations of vedas

I used the same source for the vedas as you presented in the last post on a different thread. You accepted that translations because it spoke in your favor. And now the same translation doesn't and you're rejecting it. It's a case of hide the bad and out with the good. You got your chance to show the vedas and I got the chance to show the same vedas. People can make what they want out of this thread and try to have a go at me, but it's there to read and if it bugs you so much then take out all the bad parts out of the vedas.

If you read Sri Chaupai Sahib da paat. Satguru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji rejected the Vedas. Also there is a Hukam by him stating only study other religious text and keep your trust in Gurbani and Akal Purakh. How more clear can Satguru be that only Satguru and their writing and any writing they approved is only 100% correct.

I must say I am TOTALLY impressed with this thread for the following reasons :

DOGRA - His excellent knoweldge of the Vedas, form which I have been able to learn

JASSA, Gurdssingh and Khalistani gunman - for the RESPECT and non hateful attitude, adn sense of fairness and reason

Jassa, u r so right when u said :

thats WHY society is where it is TODAY, sad but true