Weight Loss Food Diet

SSingh11

I find it rather fascinating how we have been conditioned in to believing that we need a 'high protein' diet to get in shape. Protein builds muscle, there is absolutely no doubt about that, but building big muscles does not necessarily get you in shape. Additionally, the amount of protein you will get from a typical punjabi diet of daal + dahi is enough to be fairly strong and fit. Any extra protein is not really required.

I have seen many a men who possess quite impressive physiques, but ask them to jog/run 5k and they start making all sorts of excuses because they know they can not do it. As you get older, what is going to matter will be your cardio vascular system, not how much weight you can bench press. To paraphrase my trainer, 'Every single brown guy I have trained only ever wants to work on 2 muscle groups, chest and biceps' This is a recipe for disaster, the amount of muscle imbalance this will develop will cause a lot of problems later on.

I assume you are looking to loose some fat, the best way to accomplish this is to have a well balanced diet and couple of it exercise. That's all you need. I have lost weight (fat + muscle) a couple of times in the past with out actually doing any exercise at all. This is not generally a good approach however.

If you have specific questions about diet and exercise, feel free to ask. But I refuse to give you a list of high protein foods which you may consume. After all, consuming a high protein diet with out the required exercise will also be potentially damaging.

Brother, beans and nuts are high in protein (raajma, chole, peanuts, kashews, almonds, etc)

Milk is also high in protein (Casein which replenishes your muscles slowly throughout the day, unlike whey protein in eggs that immediately help in repair of muscles).

Tofu is a good protein source (It can be substituted for paneer in some sabzis)

Sweet potatoes are better than regular potatoes. (They have more protein and less carbohydrates) Try using them instead of regular potatoes in subzi and parateh.

Then you have protein powders and power bars.

What are your goals? To build muscle or lose fat? You cannot do both at the same time, unless of course you use supplements. However, those can have side-effects.

Good luck!

Brother, beans and nuts are high in protein (raajma, chole, peanuts, kashews, almonds, etc)

Milk is also high in protein (Casein which replenishes your muscles slowly throughout the day, unlike whey protein in eggs that immediately help in repair of muscles).

Tofu is a good protein source (It can be substituted for paneer in some sabzis)

Sweet potatoes are better than regular potatoes. (They have more protein and less carbohydrates) Try using them instead of regular potatoes in subzi and parateh.

Then you have protein powders and power bars.

What are your goals? To build muscle or lose fat? You cannot do both at the same time, unless of course you use supplements. However, those can have side-effects.

Good luck!

You can lose fat and build muscle at the same. Lifting weights (sensible, light weights) helps to burn fat as long as you don't over-do the cardio. Depends on how much muscle you want to build. If its crazy muscle then yes, supplements are needed.

You can lose fat and build muscle at the same. Lifting weights (sensible, light weights) helps to burn fat as long as you don't over-do the cardio. Depends on how much muscle you want to build. If its crazy muscle then yes, supplements are needed.

To make this more concrete, the only time you will be able to both gain fat and loose muscle at the same time will be the beginning few months of your training career. After that, it's slow muscle gains, especially for those who train naturally; think 1-2lbs/year!

This does not apply to those genetically gifted individuals (who are very few in numbers) who can seemingly eat a large amount of food and not ever gain fat and can put on muscle with little weight training.

To make this more concrete, the only time you will be able to both gain fat and loose muscle at the same time will be the beginning few months of your training career. After that, it's slow muscle gains, especially for those who train naturally; think 1-2lbs/year!

This does not apply to those genetically gifted individuals (who are very few in numbers) who can seemingly eat a large amount of food and not ever gain fat and can put on muscle with little weight training.

You mean lose fat and gain muscle? I'm getting confused. :)

OhTwadi Ji, I have a question: I'm not too hot on the idea of consuming whey protein or other similar powders in conjunction with a weight training regime. Would a post-workout "meal" of a large glass of semi-skimmed milk and a banana be beneficial for someone who wants to train naturally and gain muscle, etc? Obviously I'm not unrealistic and expecting Arnie-type growth if I take this route. My aim is more geared towards to reaching a low body-fat percentage as is feasibly possible but also gain a clearly toned and "solid" physique.

BTW my diet is very "clean". I eat fresh, steamed vegetables, a lot of salads and fresh fruit as well. No chips, chocolate, crisps or anything like that. But I love my Panjabi food as well so there's the typical sabzis, dahls, etc. Tadka for aforementioned Panjabi dishes is cooked using olive oil and very occasionally butter.

You mean lose fat and gain muscle? I'm getting confused.
Yes, that is precisely what I meant to write. Apologies for the confusion.
OhTwadi Ji, I have a question: I'm not too hot on the idea of consuming whey protein or other similar powders in conjunction with a weight training regime. Would a post-workout "meal" of a large glass of semi-skimmed milk and a banana be beneficial for someone who wants to train naturally and gain muscle, etc? Obviously I'm not unrealistic and expecting Arnie-type growth if I take this route. My aim is more geared towards to reaching a low body-fat percentage as is feasibly possible but also gain a clearly toned and "solid" physique.
Hanji that would be a good post workout meal. You have your carbs with the banana and protein + amino acids with milk. What makes this even better is that banana, due to its sugar content, will be metabolized and pumped into blood stream quite fast. This is precisely what you want to do post workout, to start the healing process asap. In order to trim fat and gain muscle, your diet has to be spot on. It will be tough and requires a lot of dedication, but it can certainly be done.

I remember when I first starting lifting weights, I was about 16yrs old or so. I used to barely have any food through out the day, then after school hit the gym. I would get home in the evening, usually around 6 and have a HUGE meal. 8-10 rotia + 2 bowls of daal + 1 bowl of dahi + sabji. I gained a decent amount of strength and muscle doing this. No extra protein was ever touched. Back then I didn't know much about fitness so my diet and my exercise routine was quite crappy. But hey, being a 16 yr old kid does have it advantages. I got gains from basically anything I did in the gym.

I would never recommend that anyone follow such a bad diet however. This is primarily because you end up exercising on an empty stomach and chances of getting your stomach royally screwed up are very high.

If I may ask, what does your workout look like? It might be better to open a new thread for this however.

BTW my diet is very "clean". I eat fresh, steamed vegetables, a lot of salads and fresh fruit as well. No chips, chocolate, crisps or anything like that. But I love my Panjabi food as well so there's the typical sabzis, dahls, etc. Tadka for aforementioned Panjabi dishes is cooked using olive oil and very occasionally butter.
Your diet is quite good. One thing to stress, especially if you have fruit after your meal like many typical Punjabi families, is to not do that. If you like to have fruit during meal time, have it 15-30mins before eating and never after. You can avoid the issue all together by making one meal/snack during the day as your fruit meal/snack :)

You are absolutely right veer ji. Too much cardio takes away calories that are needed for muscle growth. To make your muscles grow bigger you have to eat a lot to keep your body in an anabolic state. To lose weight, you have to do cardio to create a calorie deficit so your body is in a catabolic state. Slight reduction of carbs would be good if you are losing weight because carbs are the first source of fuel for the body, and then fat. If you are trying to gain muscle then you need a lot of carbs to keep up your energy. DO NOT STARVE YOURSELF. You will lose muscle and lower your metabolism, which means you will start gaining fat again. Do it the right way, through exercise.

People usually cycle between bulking and cutting. They try put on mass during the winter months, and then remove fat during the warm months.

Bhul Chuk Maaf. This is what I have learned from others who are "experts" in this field. They say it's not a science (if it was, then there wouldn't be so many fad diets and workout routines) because everyone's metabolism is different, but the above is the general rule to follow.

SSingh11, if you are just looking to lose weight, I recommend the Insanity workout routine from Beach Body. It's a 2 month routine, high intensity cardio. I know a Singh who did the program twice and lost 30lbs. They give you a nutrition plan to follow, with options for vegetarians as well.

Yes, that is precisely what I meant to write. Apologies for the confusion.

Hanji that would be a good post workout meal. You have your carbs with the banana and protein + amino acids with milk. What makes this even better is that banana, due to its sugar content, will be metabolized and pumped into blood stream quite fast. This is precisely what you want to do post workout, to start the healing process asap. In order to trim fat and gain muscle, your diet has to be spot on. It will be tough and requires a lot of dedication, but it can certainly be done.

Brilliant. I guess its just a case of remaining focused and dedicated.

Your diet is quite good. One thing to stress, especially if you have fruit after your meal like many typical Punjabi families, is to not do that. If you like to have fruit during meal time, have it 15-30mins before eating and never after. You can avoid the issue all together by making one meal/snack during the day as your fruit meal/snack :)

Thank-you for that tip. Very much appreciated. Although I do eat most of my fruit during the day (at around 2-3pm), I do tend to snack on a bowl of grapes and occasionally some melon before bed. Looks like I will have to stop that ASAP!

@ SInghSabha Ji - Yes you're totally right. I'm actually around a year or so away from total hardcore training at the moment, but after nearly a decade of poor health I'm at a stage where I can finally get up and about. At the moment I'm just feeling my way into cardio work and light weights, just so that I can shed those excess pounds from years of inactivity and weakness.

The first stage was getting my diet sorted which is thankfully done. I never thought I'd be able to do it but I've been eating well since January and it isn't a struggle. Its become a habit now. Hopefully with Waheguru's blessing I will keep on this path until I achieve my goals.

Guest Kluivert

It's good what everyone had told you on the forum. Everyone has their own point of view when it comes to weight loss, your body may respond differently depending what suits you the best.

Now, your food intake depends on what you want to achieve out of your body. If you want to lift weights and build mass, then you need to make sure you are working all muscle groups and you will need a high protein diet because that is the requirement your muscles need to grow. You will need to cut back on you carb intake, this will be beneficial for you too if you are trying to lose weight. That does not mean you go crazy with the protein and consume large amounts of it in one sitting, be sensible, use your fist as a guide (amount of protein and amount carbs). If you want to completely eradicate carbs out of your diet, then have a cheat day once a week. On this day you may consume anything thing you want. But the other days, you may only have protein and plenty of salad or veg, don't have fruit (especially if you trying to lose weight, high in sugar, which you body doesn't need) Diet is a major factor in your weight loss, 80% is diet and the rest is based on your physical activity. Once you have achieved your desirable weight, then you can slowly bring in fruit and good carbs.

As you may be a vegetarian it's hard to consume good protein, try protein shakes and certain type of seeds and nuts but they still have some level of carbs. Lentils and beans are also good source of protein but are also high in carbs. I can't really tell you what a good source of protein is for vegetarians because I eat meat. So may be a good idea to do your research and find out.

Best of luck and try whatever suits you the best, my advice might be a complete waste for you. Experiment on different eating plans and training regime.