Biggest Threat To

Big_Tera

Really horrified at the amount of contempt some Sikh 'guys' have for females:-(

Need to organise a conference to deal with the 'issues' just for girls. Went to a women's conference last week, women and technology. Women have different issues to deal with, that are more complex.

Guys:- as Singhs please be the bearers of ones who promote Equality in Sikhi, if you wear the Guru's banas.

Make sure SIkh girls know that, so that they know that once they see Sikh men they are 'safe' not ones who have contempt for them. But once they see Singh they know that they understand that with them that there will be no issues with dowry, abuse, acholol, make them feel safe. Wear not Guru's symbols lightly, and then not show concern, care and forgiveness for the vulnerable. Talk to girls, we they are not aliens,monsters from out of space who are here to ruin you. They are, we are the one and the same. We are one family, we have brothers, sons, fathers too.

The problem also lies with older women, who need to understand support the younger ones. In an language they understand. We need to get the women out of the kitchens and talking to the girls, teaching them kirteen, etc.. majority of young SIkh girls are so desperate to learn.

Who will set up the conference? For women and girls?

I am happy to help out and organise it.

Apologises, if I upset anyone etc... please don't blast at me.

Okay

I will stop writing and start some action. Will put a poster up this weekend at the local Gurdwara and start a girls group. Girls from the age of 11- 18 will learn how to read Jap- Ji and then we will have discussions and 'talk' they can talk to me.

I am not a counsellor, but have worked in hospitals listening to patients, and can advise to the best of my knowledge and experience.

I suggest that committed Sikh women out there do the same. I am sure that the 5000 views that this topic got, not all was from men and not all from Sikhs, there are other faiths as you know who will use this for 'research' for recruiting.

Some might construe the above initiative as a driving wedge between the sexes. Creating an issue out of something that isn't as bad as it appears. Someone might use it as way of villifying Sikh men. As a community (both men and women) we aren't known for our subtlety are we? I wouldn't want any potential daughter of mine to attend this "camp" and return home with a headful of controversial views that haven't been imparted with the best of consideration or intention.

Thought I'd add that to the mix if I was being devil's advocate. :biggrin2:

Cool.

At least I am doing something, what is so Controversial about learning how to recite the Jap-Ji??

Please explain??

What is so controversial about giving 'Girls' an opportunity to talk to other girls???

You guys get alot more learning opportunities then women, and opportunities to go out.

Years ago, when I was in my mid twenties, I spoke to a girl in the kitchen Gurdwara, she was 18 I asked her about her A levels etc.. a few days later she committed suicide, she was pregnant with a Sikh man older than her, her parents would not let her marry him.

If she had someone to talk to in the Gurdwara this would not have happened. Anybody, I am no expert, but I cannot recite the Jap-Ji by heart. I might not know that much, that is because as a Sikh I am still learning, but what little I know from reading Gurbani every single day for the past 22 years I can share. At least I am doing this SEVA, there are many men and people who get paid in Gurdwaras and don't do anything for young people.

I knew there would some cult of Sikhi who would disagree, but that is good, at least it is making waves, and standing up to the 'Norm' and acceptable thing to do on this website which is Sikh girl bashing:-)

AGREE! I cannot believe how much racism, hatred, and even violence to those women you call sisters has been promoted on this topic!

Everyone has the ability to do as they choose and anyone trying to control others is just going to receive backfire. Maybe the biggest threat is really our own judgement toward others instead of looking at ourselves and making sure we are good. Stop worrying about what everybody else is doing with their own lives and live yours. Stop being hypocritical and practice what you preach!

im guessing from your comment your with a <banned word filter activated>?...what sisters??...the ones who mock singhs behind their backs??...the ones who ridicule the sikhi saroop?...before i used to have patience and time for moni 'sisters'...but now i got no time...all i got for you punjabi moniya is a back hander

Just come from from the school run, spoke to one of the Muslim grandmothers lovely lady. She told me she and a group of 15 women everyday go to each others houses and pray from 11-2.30pm and then from 4-.730pm she goes to the Mosque to teach children.

If I am prepared to give up one hour of my time for young Sikh girls and share what little I know, I get opposition from the community already!!

There is a big difference in the investment that Muslims make and we do for each other. Change that and you will see a change in our girls. Make that investment.

Just come from from the school run, spoke to one of the Muslim grandmothers lovely lady. She told me she and a group of 15 women everyday go to each others houses and pray from 11-2.30pm and then from 4-.730pm she goes to the Mosque to teach children.

If I am prepared to give up one hour of my time for young Sikh girls and share what little I know, I get opposition from the community already!!

There is a big difference in the investment that Muslims make and we do for each other. Change that and you will see a change in our girls. Make that investment.

theres already a group like this...its called kaurageous...and from what ive heard...that group isnt really effective in pulling in non practising sikh women...so basically the only hope for us sikhs..is to pray to waheguru to give us sons lol...its too hard and too much of a struggle to raise daughters in the west...too much to worry about

I GIVE UP.

that was quick lol...puraatan singhniya got raped and had their children cut up infront of them..and you give up before youve even started the group LOL...what a joker

Sorry, I meant to say I give up with you guys, you are the joker:-) MR.

My group will happen, only one hour a week, but it will be a start.

Nothing stopping you doing the same??? lets then compare notes??

If you dare?

a group for punjabi moniya?...no thank you...i will leave that up to you...good luck on your crusade to turn slags into honourable women...

Mod note : Please refrain from use of abusive words ji. Thanks.