Whatever Happened To The Sikhs/Hindus Left In Pakistan Post 1947

hinduveer

Lets try discussing this and exchanging information on this topic, as I want to garner as much insight as possible.

From my understanding, AFTER partition, and I emphasise the word AFTER, NOT before or DURING, just AFTER partition of India and Pakistan, their was a sizeable population of SikhS and Hindus who stayed behind in what is modern day Pakistan.

When I say 40 % , I am talking 10's of millions of people, what happend to them, where are they now?

I ask this because at the last Pakistani censues which I believe was in 2002, ( I could be wrong as it may have been 2001), 97% of Pakistan was MUSLIM, 2% Hindu/Sikh and 1 % Christian.

I believe that pre partition, Lahore was the business capital of Punjab and had a majority Hindu Punjabi populas, I also know that Sindh had a huge Hindu/Sikh population.

How can it be that in 1947 - Pakistan = 57 % per cent Muslim, (3 % Christian) and 40 % Sikh/Hindu (approx 30-40 million people) and just 55 years later (in 2002) the Hindu/Sikh population is reduced to just 2 %? With Muslims being 97% of the population?

What do YOU think happened to all these people? 1. Killed? (possibly) 2. Migrated to India (unlikely with stringent border controls) or FORCIBLY CONVERTED? ( in my view very Likely).

What are YOUR views?

Good points, thought not sure about the figures you have there. It was partition which was to lead to Hindu Sikh problems in the last half of the century. Hindu Sikh refugee's who survived the genocide in Pakistan by Muslim zealots and afghan/pakthoon tribesmen then set about trying to find a new life in India. In Delhi these brave refugee's attacked Indian Congress party leader Pundit Nehru after he came to visit them and told him to get lost. It was Congress party who had agreed to Jinnah's demand of partition when we could have had civil war with hindu's and Sikhs coming on top eventually and no pakistan would have been created.

Then Sikhs were betrayed by congress when Master tara singh asked for a sovereign state that was autonomous but within India Union's borders so that Sikhs religion and political authority could be safeguarded. Congress leaders refused to bow down to these demands and thats were the troubles started between hindus and Sikhs. Sikhs then wanted the offical language of punjab being punjabi hindu's pressed for hindi. The government eventually gave in but cut punjab into 3. So that the now new punjab was 1/3 of its Indian side but offical language was punjabi.

How can it be that in 1947 - Pakistan = 57 % per cent Muslim, (3 % Christian) and 40 % Sikh/Hindu (approx 30-40 million people) and just 55 years later (in 2002) the Hindu/Sikh population is reduced to just 2 %? With Muslims being 97% of the population?

brother, if you need to ask this question then you havent read the history of this tragic event. Non-muslim population were forced from pakistan as they were not trusted to be loyal to pakistan in the event of any conflict with india. The Muslim League made a point of forcing non-muslims from pakistan. either that or convert to islam, which many thousands did, sikhs and hindus alike.

The congress party were the biggest culprits in the division of india.

Jinnah was a secularist Muslim nationalist he wasnt a religious muslim the molvi's and imaam's even were suspcious of him because they feared pakistan would become a secular state like turkey was so they were against parition, Jinnah only wanted partition of India as a last resort wheras those advising him were very keen to break away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG-jrGyqRfI&feature=related

It was the Indian congress partys leadership and zealots within jinnahs inner circle of muslim league that created all the problems of 1947

In this case you can see a paralell with sant jarnail singh bhindranwale who stated on record (video can be viewed on youtube) that he wanted to live in "hindustan" that he wanted sikhs to be treated as equal citizens and not have 1 law for Sikhs and another for hindus when Sikhs were murdered by the state in peaceful protests yet when Sikhs killed someone who was hindu that murderer would be caught and punished in a very short time. So you can see how the congress party has betrayed and attacked both hindu and Sikhs, they have done the most damage to the Sikh community robbing us of our sovereignty attacking our holiest shrines and committing genocide on a state terrorism scale in new delhi.

not really, jinnah was opposed to pakistan at first but in around 1935 ish he joined the muslim league, as he distrusted the hindu dominated congress party of which he was a member.

Thats what i said he opposed it, right up to the last months he wasnt happy because he knew the prospects of an emerging pakistan and what would happen to make it come a reality. He resented being called a muhammadan by gandhi, as he would drink, smoke eat pork/bacon even allegedly while in england.

When you see his videos and pictures after partition he wasn't a joyful man, his sister even deserted pakistan and left to live in India. The muslim league had an array of nutters and haters of all things non-islamic, it was they who really tried to influence him and make him think the way they did.

You have started off with a factual error. After partition the claim that 40% of the population of Pakistan was Hindu and Sikhs is clearly an error. This 'fact' is a favourite with RSS and Hindutva websites. The facts are -;

in 1951 according to the census of Pakistan, West Pakistan had 27,741,000 out of 28,706,000 were Muslims or 96.63% were Muslims

in East Pakistan 32,227,000 out of 41,932,000 were Muslims or 76.85 %. As a total of both East and West Pakistan, Muslims were 84.89% of the population. In West Pakistan in 1952 Hindus were 528,000 and there were probably a few hundred Sikhs who weren't even officially counted. In 1998 the last time the census was conducted in Pakistan, Hindus were 2,448,000. So within about 47 years the Hindus had increased from 528,000 to 2,448,000. That's about nearly a fivefold increase in 47 years.

However with regard to East Pakistan which is now Bangladesh there had been migration and forced conversion of Hindus. In 1951 the Hindus in East Pakistan were 9,239,000 and had only increased to 11,379,000 by 2001. They were 29% of the population in 1951 and had decreased to 9.2% in 2001.

1951 would mean after partition, wouldnt it? prior partition the land called pakistan now had quite a sizeable Sikh and Hindu population. Infact most of the Sikhs lived in what is now Pakistan occupied Punjab when they migrated to the east hey found themselves in less fertile lands and had to make the best they could.

North west frontier province also had quite a large population of indigenous Hindu and Sikhs. The Hindu's who ere living there being the real afghans and pakthoons who lived their for centuries until Islam in the form of Ghazni came to invade, conquer and fight the non-muslims of that region. In NWFP there is still a sizeable community of Sikhs who survived the genocide because they lived in villages who had good relations with their muslim counterparts and were treated like family. Then arrieved some in 80s and 90s who were Afghan Sikh and Hindu refugee's who were forced to flee after another ethnic cleansing and genocide on non-muslims by the vile muslim jihadi mujahadeen zealots in that region.