Why Do South Asians Not Succeed In Sports

yubacitysingh

It's not that simple, if you do your research, you will find that a almost all top level athletes are genetically gifted individuals. Yes they train hard and are mentally very tough, but to perform at such a high level and be successful, you need to be 'cream of the crop' as they say.

It's not that simple, if you do your research, you will find that a almost all top level athletes are genetically gifted individuals. Yes they train hard and are mentally very tough, but to perform at such a high level and be successful, you need to be 'cream of the crop' as they say.

Agree with it India already produce world class shooters chess champions even doubles tennis players but when it comes to Athletes Almost the entire South Asia don't produce anything.Even In commonwealth games Jamaica sent their 6th best runner and he defeated all the runners of Commonwealth countries in 100 metre racing

with what we know about sports med today and nutrition i think south asians make to many excuses as to why not to succeed at athletics

i believe if you train smarter and harder today then others you will out perform them as well

My cousin despite from middle class family picked up a sport which require lots of power.He got stipend and everything but at the end he has to give it up as he was not good enough.Anyway There were very good Sikh field hockey players in 70s and also very good in pakistan too but with time Field hockey lost its popularity.Similarly Pakistani punjabi's produced some of greatest fast bowlers in cricket and fast bowling is something which require extra ordinary energy and stamina so Punjabi's definately has genes to make them great athletes if they train hard and take proper diet full of protien friom childhood

The problem especially with the Sikh community that our people are becoming to academic. This leads to people losing their physical competitive nature and ultimately leads to poor results in sports or physical events.

Being academic is seen as a gold ticket to becoming economically strong so parents tend not to support their children in sports. The same problem most communities face who are driven by economics. The Jews and Hindus are prime examples and sadly this can be said for Sikhs too!

Hi guys, Just pasing thru and thought I'd quickly add my 2 cents worth on this. I don't know what 'research' has proven its all about genetics but as far as I can tell its all in the mind. Its all about having that 'winning mentality'. The experience of 2 nations has led me to believe this : Australia and Jamaica. I'll tell you what I mean by this. The vast majority of Australian gold medal winners have genetics that show their English, Scottish, Welsh and Irish ancestory. But their cousins in Britian, with the same genetics, are lucky to come 34th in any event. It should also be noted that it was the people with the worst so-called 'genetics' that the English transported to colonise Australia ; short, bandy legged, low IQ criminals....with generations of mental and physical defects. Its very telling how you can put people like that in the right environment and they morph into world beaters.

And then there's the Jamaican example. 600,000 Jamaicans living in Kingston and they're so good at sports they break records for fun. They have a whole conveyor belt of world beaters. But there's almost as many Jamaicans in London (500,000) and yet they're lucky to come 37th in any event. 600,000 of them in New York too but none of them can become world beaters. 200,000 in Toronto too with similar failure rates when it comes to sports.

Its all about mentality. Once you have that winning mentality you can't help but keep winning....and I'm not talking about individual winning mentalities, I'm talking about the collective winning mentality as a nation. I've said before here, with the growing Sikh community in Australia, its only a matter of time before we see some world record beating sportsmen and women comming out of there. Like it or not, but neither us English or Canadian Sikhs come from countries that have that winning mentality.

maybe because the north asian kids get trimmed by their parents until they have success. in japan for example kids are treated like machines, just like symbols or things, who should be the best of everything, best violin player, best karate fighter, best piano player and so on. usually they making competition in school and clubs and private lessons. if they are not the best, it will be a big shame for the parents. parents put their own children very under pressure. why the suicide rate is comparatively high in japan?

Korean kids have similar life. i know some kids even call their parents not mummy or papa, their call them boss or use formal term to call their parents, its not familar feeling. i had been in china. in upper layers the situation is also same. especially on the east side. westside or in province side or famers have different attitute or mentality towards life and their kids.

i think for example thailand has kick boxing as their national sports. so they are good in that. especially those whose parents also press them to become a champion. thats their onliest chance to get money and food to survive.

so it is a mentality reason, also, i think.

for indians for example kids are very special, and not only machines. maybe i am wrong. but i made experiences before few years and while my study of int. management.

when i was in indian schools, and familys and gurdwara i realized thats the kids had innocence in eyes, and whatever i said they listend and heared with interest and very relaxed. but when i visit korean community and schools i realized that the kids was very reserved and afraid. they was not really ready to listen because they every word tried to analyse if this is allowed to remember and hear according to their studies or not.

so definetely i saw difference. so finally their would also be different in the results. surely it is the nutrition or bodyform or climate or social background and all, but also the mentality and culture and social environment.

It depends on trainig facilities. I mean in India it's cricket mad, and India has world class training facilities and a good grass roots programme to recruit new talent. As a result it is ODI world champions and T20 world champions. Also like kds1980 stated back in the day India ruled world hockey, majority of the team were punjabi Sikhs. So it depends on the training facilities provided for the athlete and how new talent is nurtured, like hockey popularity has declined, prior to the 70's hockey was national sport and everyone was crazy for it so it had good facilities and good grass roots programmes to recruit new talent. With rise of cricket it's all focused on that not much investment in other sports to create new talent. However, football is becoming popular due to world popularity. So maybe in coming decades with correct investment and encouraging youngsters it may produce world class players.

For asian abroad as being immigrant communities and racism in sports back in the day when are parents were in their 20s 30s they did not encourage it instead asked us to focus on studies to have good careers. However our generation is different we will encourage our kids to excel in sports. BTW theres many apney kickboxers and other martial artists so we are not gentically weak.