Sikh Council Uk Statement On Sikh Channel'S D-Day

singh211

ksingh82, it is no surprise that dal khalsa manmohan singh would support this event naturally given those who are opposing it - such is the friction that this demo has created that the dastaar issue itself and whether a demo was needed at this time has now long been lost in all the posturing on who is standing or not standing with whom

prabkasimran, i am confused by your email to ofcom as you have not even cared to specify to them what bad language or slanderous thing was actually said on sangat tv as you allege - please do post the response you get from ofcom as they will write back!

It's a sad state of affairs when all youth can do is tarnish Sevadaar singhs working tirelessly for the panth as being 'Badal da chamchae'. Like I said, after this protest is over, get off your backsides and join these organizations that are doing their best to serve the Panth, or set your own orgs up if you think the incumbents are so tainted with links to Badal.

Pyara - agree that Sunday will have a galvanizing effect, but it could have been WAY better if the Jathebandiaan were on board. Remember it is these same currently being maligned Jathebandiaan and Sevadaars that organize the successful '84 rally (with the support of ALL media channels and papers).

Pyara - agree that Sunday will have a galvanizing effect, but it could have been WAY better if the Jathebandiaan were on board. Remember it is these same currently being maligned Jathebandiaan and Sevadaars that organize the successful '84 rally (with the support of ALL media channels and papers).

My good friend - These Jathebhandis and Sevadaars needed to be vocal back in April (or at least a few months ago) when the publicity started on Sikh Channel and built up a decent campaign to convince the Sikh community otherwise. It shouldn't have got so embarrassingly far! Almost feels like now we're all waiting to see our own Sikhs fall flat on their faces. There will be auntiya, kids, elders coming on Sunday and all Sangat TV and these Jathebhandi's are doing is making sangat feel foolish for taking the time out whilst embarrassing themselves on TV every night. Deposits have been paid for coaches, some by individuals themselves not committees. The Jathebhandis and Sevadaars should have acted much sooner if their concerns were genuine or was it just left to the last minute to belittle Bal/Sikh Channel in a pathetic popularity war!!

Who needs Zee TV Drama Serials when we have the drama of our own prabhandaks on Sangat TV and Sikh Channel belittling each other!

This fight over Dastar Day is not doing the Panth any good at all!!!

Those who want to go should go, those who don't want to, they don't have to. Simple. I can see where both sides are coming from, in particular the jathebandia, but there is not much that can be done now as it is too late and it seems from this topic and info that Mr Bal will not cancel, so there is no point creating such a big media hype about the controversy, it is just damaging the reputation of Sikhs to the wider community.

both have valid reasons - -however what is the wise thing -- it's too late to stop now due to people booking coaches etc.

learn a lesson singho out of this and just go and display your dastar -- don't worry the goray won't kick us out of this country due to a simple demo.

adn dr rai on having dinners with mp - nice one dr jeeo why not invite the mp's down to our gurdwara and have dinner there instead of wasting sangats money on facny dinners

I think we have gone off this topic slightly on this thread.

Sikh Council UK gave a statement saying that they do not support the Dastaar Day campaign.

My question to them is this:

Why did they (their Secretary General - Gurmail Singh) come on Sikh Channel on Sunday and say that they will lead the Dastaar Day Campaign?? they also said that we should forget what has happened upto now and work together on this event to make it successful

Also the same person at Sikh Channel Awards last week, in his speech supported the Dastaar Day event. why??

As we are all realising that Sangat TV has become a puppet of Badal, whose puppet is the Sikh Council?

Gurmail Singh should resign with immediate effect and Bhai Sahib Mohinder Singh Ji should re-take control of their Sangat TV channel!

1. SCUK has done a GREAT job in bringing all the Jathebandi and Gurdwarae in the UK together as one voice. Well done and first in our history in the UK -see Aman001's posts earlier in this thread -Wow ! the Panth has a voice at the highest levels of government and strategic public policy

2. Bal of the Sikh Channel is interesting but an irrelevant and helpless character who is not the voice of the Panth in the UK

3. Bal screwed up by calling it a 'protest'. SCUK in fact, helped Bal of the Sikh Channel turn his negative campaign into a positive initiative by branding it as an 'awareness'. Sikhs are Chardikala by nature -we beleive in optimimisum not doom and gloom like Bal of the Sikh Channel

4. To say SCUK is supporting Badal is to say all the Jathebandi and Gurdwarare who have publically supported SCUK are also Badal supporters. If ANYTHING, SCUK have given Bal of the Sikh Channel grace in his gross miscommunication (who was obviously just doing it for publicity and marketing revenue)

Fateh.

Fateh Ji.

Lol, for a while now i have been witnessing the escalation of the Sikh Channel / Sangat TV animosity. And as a totally impartial viewer, with no links or ties to either channel, i must say that my logical thinking skills lead me to believe that Sikh Channel and its bosses are people i have come to have very minimal respect for.

1.) The first thing that i remember was when Sangat TV was being mentioned as a new channel that was going to go on air. What do Sikh Channel do? They buy the domain "www.sangat.tv". If you type in www.sangat.tv in your web browsers, have a look at what comes up. You are redirected to Sikh Channel website. Now, do you think that was accidental?! That was very low and politically driven.

2.) The day of the Dudley Protest. Sangat TV have a show detailing the events of the day, that the morcha was Fateh, that women and children were doing kirtan and simran on the road, and that there were also short bursts of violence but nothing in comparison to the good that went on during the event. Straight after that, Sikh Channel have a show in which they show footage of which 90% was the violence of the day, which incidentally lasted about 5 minutes over the whole course of the event on the day, which lasted about 8 hours. In my opinion, deliberately to undermine Sangat TV's footage and coincide with their version of events. Again, very very low and politically driven. It is since this gross misjudgement of Sikh Channel that the Youth Show hosts expressed their wish to leave and a lot of Youth detached themselves from the channel.

3.) Riots. Sangat TV footage is used by BBC, Sky News, as well as numerous other corporations, their name is mentioned in the House of Commons and the Prime Minister David Cameron reports to commend the channel on their hard work during the troubles. Sikh Channel do not show footage by Sangat TV. However, this one i can understand, because the old school rivalry is still ever so present in our people and this example is the epitome of it. BBC and ITV can show each others footage but our all but two media channels cannot due to pride. Moving on....

It is my humble opinion that this whole "D Day" event is a total marketing ploy for Sikh Channel. I dont care how many singhs come on here and talk about the late release of the Sikh Council statement, the fact is that all Jathebandiya and organisations know its not relevant and i urge you to look further into what our media channels should be doing as a duty, especially when they are forever appealing for sangats money. The truth is that Sangat TV took the plaudits and became renowned in the mainstream for their riots coverage, and SIkh Channel are looking to cause a scene in the capital and attract mainstream media coverage of their own by causing much ado about the nothing. But the lowest aspect of all of this for me personally is the lowly attention grabber - that being the naming of the event "D Day". Of course a "D Day" 'protest become awareness' event will grab attention, but i totally think this will be bad publicity due to the meaning of D Day to the British public. D Day is remembered by the British public on 6th June in commemoration of the D Day landings in the Battle of Normandy in 1944. I really dont know who it is that think up these ideas in the offices of Sikh Channel, but im surprised to see how little this point has been mentioned during this post. What if the British people started a protest against civil rights on the 13th April and called it Vaisakhi? How would we feel?! Lol...in my opinion, these cheap shot attention grabbing tactics of Sikh Channel are totally wrong.

They need to arrange initiatives for the chardi kala of the panth, their programmes should reflect this, but sadly, i think it is becoming apparent that the Sikh Channel guys are purely businessmen. I think we will see increasingly that Jathebandiya will lose trust in them, and will utilize Sangat TV as their media outlet.

Fateh Ji.

My good friend - These Jathebhandis and Sevadaars needed to be vocal back in April (or at least a few months ago) when the publicity started on Sikh Channel and built up a decent campaign to convince the Sikh community otherwise. It shouldn't have got so embarrassingly far! Almost feels like now we're all waiting to see our own Sikhs fall flat on their faces. There will be auntiya, kids, elders coming on Sunday and all Sangat TV and these Jathebhandi's are doing is making sangat feel foolish for taking the time out whilst embarrassing themselves on TV every night. Deposits have been paid for coaches, some by individuals themselves not committees. The Jathebhandis and Sevadaars should have acted much sooner if their concerns were genuine or was it just left to the last minute to belittle Bal/Sikh Channel in a pathetic popularity war!!

Who needs Zee TV Drama Serials when we have the drama of our own prabhandaks on Sangat TV and Sikh Channel belittling each other!

Pyara, my great friend, the Jathebandiaan offered Bal a route out of the mess he put himself in weeks (and even some months) ago, which would have united the channels and given Bal a face-saving measure. Sangat TV agreed to go by this, Sikh Channel didn't. The Jathebandiaan expected Bal to do the decent thing and eventually fall Into line. They did not wish this whole thing to be brought into the public. However, Bal got more and more obnoxious as time went on, whilst re-branding the event from a Protest to an Awareness Day, as the Jathebandiaan suggested. Finally, the Jathebandiaan were left with no option but to formally go public, as the Sangat kept requesting them to clarify their position and they felt they had to respond to Bal's provocative actions, when on Monday, he signed a piece of paper with an agreement which would avoid this situation arising again in the future, and then he immediately repudiated his signature and thereby broke his word.

How can Bal expect the cooperation of the most active Jathebandiaan going forward? Don't get me wrong, Sikh Channel has been a force for great good, but it has messed up big time too. It was the same channel that deliberately sensationalized Dudley, and sought to portray all naujawaan as extremists. Time for Bal to realize that he can never be bigger than the Panth!!!

adn dr rai on having dinners with mp - nice one dr jeeo why not invite the mp's down to our gurdwara and have dinner there instead of wasting sangats money on facny dinners

Fact of the matter is, my experience tells me (having dined with the likes of David Cameron and George Osborne), informal dinners are a much more effective way of communicating and lobbying with politicians. Most Gora MPs may feel uncomfortable in Gurdwaras, but they need to be relaxed and so that they can loosen their guard.

Sikhs need to be smart about these things. Learn off the Jews, the Indian government and how big business, etc., lobby very successfully in our daily lives.

PS - I very much doubt Dr Rai, or other Sevadaars, expense the Sangat for this type of dinner. I certainly don't!