Sikh Council Uk Statement On Sikh Channel'S D-Day

singh211

But the lowest aspect of all of this for me personally is the lowly attention grabber - that being the naming of the event "D Day". Of course a "D Day" 'protest become awareness' event will grab attention, but i totally think this will be bad publicity due to the meaning of D Day to the British public. D Day is remembered by the British public on 6th June in commemoration of the D Day landings in the Battle of Normandy in 1944. I really dont know who it is that think up these ideas in the offices of Sikh Channel, but im surprised to see how little this point has been mentioned during this post. What if the British people started a protest against civil rights on the 13th April and called it Vaisakhi? How would we feel?!

I didn't even think of it like that. The name D Day is just wrong...end of!

We really have to become smart and get away from the mentality of: "i've said it now and i ain't backing down!"

GurpsSinghAujla raised some very valids points in his last post

Some interesting points being raised.

One lesson that is evident in all of this is that the Jathebhandi's need to work on their clout and influence in the mainstream Sikh Community. It's all good an well convincing us at a very late stage the reasons D Day might not be such a good idea or telling us what was taking place in the background with Sikh Channel.

Sikh Council UK and other jathebhandis need to form a very strong influential relationship with the sangat and be bold enough to make/communicate CLEAR panthic decisions from the outset. There is a duty of care and responsibility the Sikh Council and Jathebhandis have over and above what we expect from the likes of Sikh Channel or Sangat TV, if they knew that there was something "kala floating in the daal" then it was in the interest of the SIkh Coummunity to communicate this very early on.

Let's not let the situation get this volatile again

Its a big shame on Sikh Council for contradicting itself. I think the Sikhs should support this event.

Sangat TV was ok when GNNSJ was in control of it, now it has fallen into the control of mindless screwballs, who have no vision whatso ever, who have a habit of shouting out aloud. 90% of the people presenting on Sangat and those managing are characterless people and have a very dubious background not mentioning any names. These are the same people go back 8 months who were issuing statements against each other, calling each other traitors.

I humbly request GNNSJ & Bhai Sahib Mohinder Singh Ji take control of Sangat TV before it gets even more out of control.

Gurmel Singh of the Sikh Council should resign as he does not know what his doing or what statement he is issuing.

Sangat TV has made a joke out of the Panth, as it did during the riots inciting people continuously. I honestly cannot believe what i've heard on Sangat TV over the last couple of nights, i'm surprised they havent recommended Upinder Randhawa for Akal Takhat Sahib Jathedar.

Sikh Channel should learn the lesson of working closer with the Sikh Panth and Panthic Jathebandian and form communication ties with them.

Stop Sangat TV being driven into the ground CHANGE the MANAGEMENT!

Masands out of SANGAT TV!

D Day" event is a total marketing ploy for Sikh Channel. I dont care how many singhs come on here and talk about the late release of the Sikh Council statement, the fact is that all Jathebandiya and organisations know its not relevant and i urge you to look further into what our media channels should be doing as a duty, especially when they are forever appealing for sangats money. The truth is that Sangat TV took the plaudits and became renowned in the mainstream for their riots coverage, and SIkh Channel are looking to cause a scene in the capital and attract mainstream media coverage of their own by causing much ado about the nothing. But the lowest aspect of all of this for me personally is the lowly attention grabber - that being the naming of the event "D Day". Of course a "D Day" 'protest become awareness' event will grab attention, but i totally think this will be bad publicity due to the meaning of D Day to the British public. D Day is remembered by the British public on 6th June in commemoration of the D Day landings in the Battle of Normandy in 1944. I really dont know who it is that think up these ideas in the offices of Sikh Channel, but im surprised to see how little this point has been mentioned during this post. What if the British people started a protest against civil rights on the 13th April and called it Vaisakhi? How would we feel?! Lol...in my opinion, these cheap shot attention grabbing tactics of Sikh Channel are totally wrong.

They need to arrange initiatives for the chardi kala of the panth, their programmes should reflect this, but sadly, i think it is becoming apparent that the Sikh Channel guys are purely businessmen. I think we will see increasingly that Jathebandiya will lose trust in them, and will utilize Sangat TV as their media outlet.

Gurps you have written your post really well. You should see if you can get a job with SCUK, if you already haven't got one with them!

With regards to D Day (Dastaar Day), this has been promoted and advertised as an event as far back as April 2011. In your post you said that Bal started this event to get one over Sangat TV because they won the ratings battle because of their coverage of the riots.

Gurps when were the riots???

With regards to Jathebandian using one channel to slag off the other channel, I think it is wrong and very petty!

One minute these so called Panthic leaders, including Gurmail Singh from SCUK are on Sikh Channel saying they support the event totally and next minute they are on Sangat TV saying that it is totally wrong!

The only people that have made this an issue and a mess are the Panthic/ Pathetic leaders we have running our Jathebadian.

As was mentioned last night on Punjab Radio, if all the Jathebadian joined to setup SCUK, then why do they keep on interfering in what the SCUK is doing? I wll tell you why - it is because they are worried that they will lose their status as being a leader!!!

Gurmel Singh of the Sikh Council should resign as he does not know what his doing or what statement he is issuing.

Think before you speak and don't be so quick to pull people down. If you think you can do better, just get up and do it.

Gurmel Singh has done more for the Sikh Sangat and the Panth in just the last year than most I know have done in there lifetimes. May Vaheguru continue to bless him with the same immense seva, dedication and commitment for many many many more years to come.

Think before you speak and don't be so quick to pull people down. If you think you can do better, just get up and do it.

Gurmel Singh has done more for the Sikh Sangat and the Panth in just the last year than most I know have done in there lifetimes. May Vaheguru continue to bless him with the same immense seva, dedication and commitment for many many many more years to come.

Well said Tera!!!

There are no splits in the Panth, just a healthy debate going on......

So many people with so many views who don’t actually do jack shizzle themselves on here!

If you think that there are weaknesses in the SFUK or SCUK (ie sangat communication) then contact them, join them and fill that gap. The doors are wide open!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, below is what the so called incompetent, power hungry elders have achieved in the last 6 months alone. Think you can do better!

March 22nd 2011 - Lobby in the British parliament in regards to Respect for the Sikh Turban at UK airports (and across Europe).

April 26th 2011 – 30 minute adjournment debate took place in Westminster. Dozens of MP’s attended the Respect For Sikh Turban debate and 15 managed to make a contribution in the 30 minute session.

1st June 2011 – Minister of transport Rt. Hon. Theresa Villiers MP sent a 3 page letter to the ministers in the other 26 EU states. In the letter the Minister stated: ‘On 30 November 2010 the UK secured EU agreement for a trial that avoids physical touching of the turban by hand….”

15th June 2011 – All Party Parliamentary Group for UK Sikhs (APPGS) meets the Transport Minister Rt. Hon. Theresa Villiers. The Minister has confirmed that the trial will be taking place in 17 out of the 20 largest UK airports. Fabian Hamilton MP who is the chair of APPGS will be speaking to the executives within the remaining 3 airports for a justification as to why they wont be entering the trial.

12th July 2011 – Sikh representatives meet the Transport Mnister – Sikhs want the UK trials concluded as soon as possible and the results shared with the European Commission to allow other EU member states to adopt the same procedures as soon as possible. The Minister discussed how pressure could be exerted on EU states.

18th September 2011 – Fabian Hamilton the chair of the APPGS has confirmed that a delegation of MP’s including himself and Sikh representatives will be travelling to Brussels to meet the EU Commissioner. Representatives from Italy and Greece will also be attending the meeting as there are specific problems in these countries.

There are no splits in the Panth, just a healthy debate going on......

So many people with so many views who don’t actually do jack shizzle themselves on here!

If you think that there are weaknesses in the SFUK or SCUK (ie sangat communication) then contact them, join them and fill that gap. The doors are wide open!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, below is what the so called incompetent, power hungry elders have achieved in the last 6 months alone. Think you can do better!

March 22nd 2011 - Lobby in the British parliament in regards to Respect for the Sikh Turban at UK airports (and across Europe).

April 26th 2011 – 30 minute adjournment debate took place in Westminster. Dozens of MP’s attended the Respect For Sikh Turban debate and 15 managed to make a contribution in the 30 minute session.

1st June 2011 – Minister of transport Rt. Hon. Theresa Villiers MP sent a 3 page letter to the ministers in the other 26 EU states. In the letter the Minister stated: ‘On 30 November 2010 the UK secured EU agreement for a trial that avoids physical touching of the turban by hand….”

15th June 2011 – All Party Parliamentary Group for UK Sikhs (APPGS) meets the Transport Minister Rt. Hon. Theresa Villiers. The Minister has confirmed that the trial will be taking place in 17 out of the 20 largest UK airports. Fabian Hamilton MP who is the chair of APPGS will be speaking to the executives within the remaining 3 airports for a justification as to why they wont be entering the trial.

12th July 2011 – Sikh representatives meet the Transport Mnister – Sikhs want the UK trials concluded as soon as possible and the results shared with the European Commission to allow other EU member states to adopt the same procedures as soon as possible. The Minister discussed how pressure could be exerted on EU states.

18th September 2011 – Fabian Hamilton the chair of the APPGS has confirmed that a delegation of MP’s including himself and Sikh representatives will be travelling to Brussels to meet the EU Commissioner. Representatives from Italy and Greece will also be attending the meeting as there are specific problems in these countries.

The fallacy is that most naujwan are good for nothing hot headed males. Without blowing trumpets, you may not realise the involvement many supposed “hot headed” branded naujwaan have already had over the last 10 years with the likes of Gill, Joga, Chehuru, Dabinderjit, Deol, Sanghera, Rai, Manmohan in the past and why they were eventually siphoned out. Don't think that 2nd Generation Sikhs have not attempted or contributed to a lot of the past campaigns but ask why they eventually lose faith, walk out due to the dirty state of our pendu politics and back biting. Sure, there have been a number of milestones (which we now appreciate and have now seen several times on sikhsangat.com, thanks Aman0001) but have they been babysteps or leaps.

SFUK/SCUK genuinely need to openly recruit, encourage and empower the 2nd/3rd Generation Sikhs not just make statements of open doors which are mysteriously hard to push open. Organisations with foresight which have resource, recruitment and retention problems attempt to do something about it, not just sit back and struggle to keep afloat. Give the sangat the confidence that there is competent sincere leadership and direction so that they join. Break the great Sikh myth that our current leaders are useless.

Well said Aman001. I competely agree. It's disgraceful that you have people on here attacking the integrity of the likes of Gurmel Singh, who has collaboratively gelled the most diverse, democratic and representative sikh body in the uk. This organization might not be perfect (I think it should take the lead in all Satkaar issues, which it currently doesn't), and it has shortcomings (e.g., communication with Sangat), but if there's anyone here that can help them do better, please prove it. YOU can join SCUK before their AGM on 1st October.

The dastaar issue is close to resolution within the UK. There is currently a trial going on at 17 UK airports. My MP, Jon Ashworth MP is actually visiting East Midlands airport next week to see how things are going. After the trial, the newly tested policies will be adopted within the UK. So yes, this is a giant leap, and the issue is close to resolution. Good work Sikh Council!