Sikh Council Uk Statement On Sikh Channel'S D-Day

singh211

pyara, the statement by the sikh council has been released now due to it being repeatedly asked whether it agrees with the d-day and whether it would advise others to attend - the statement has not been released lightly and in an ideal world things wouldn't have got to this stage where organisations are having to clarify their positions but they are all left with no choice such is the intensity of this issue right now

sikh council has not been in paralysis on this issue and had in fact made its position clear to bal a number of weeks ago. although in hindsight it should have been more forceful from the beginning, it has been working to try to resolve the issue these past few weeks culminating in the formula/offer made to bal on monday evening - it was bal's choice to walk away from the resolution

aman001's post captures well the steps that have taken place on the dastaar issue these past few months around westminster - can even go further back to june 2010 and all the lobbying efforts of the sikh federation from that time which led to the swab trial being introduced at most UK airports in order to suspend the EU regulations in respect of hand-searches

the information posted by aman001 is not new and is not hard to find if you're looking for it but overall do agree that communication must be improved on what our leading organisations are doing and perhaps this is the biggest lesson they can learn from this debacle. equally however the federation have these past few weeks actively requested including on this forum for sevadaars particualrly youth to join them in their new structure to assist with communication amongst other things - did those criticising them for not communicting the federation's message and activities put themselves forward to assist?

equally however the federation have these past few weeks actively requested including on this forum for sevadaars particualrly youth to join them in their new structure to assist with communication amongst other things - did those criticising them for not communicting the federation's message and activities put themselves forward to assist?

We can go round in circles on this. If the common Sikh knows what the jathebhandi are doing or are capable of doing, then perhaps more Sikhs would step up to getting actively involved in our socio-political issue. If no jathebahndi effectively communicates what is going on, then unfortunatly most of us will not have the avasta to read each others minds. We will be in the dark on most of our issues and have the perception that the jathebhandis' aren't really doing anything.

This is where Sikh Channel have the upper hand. The common Sikh sees the Sikh Channel as the first point of reference for Sikh issues, not SFUK or SCUK. It's a self created Frankinstien through neglect and weak sangat interaction from our own Jathebhandis, they are too far removed from the common Sikh. The Jathebhandi's need to accelerate their credibilty as a national voice and have to stop using the "formulation" phase as an excuse.

At a national Sikh level and at this late stage, I see Sikh Channel's leverage greater than SCUK and SFUK with common Sikh. This means that any PR from SCUK will carry little weight compared to what Sikh Channel can influence.

Don't get me wrong, I sincerely believe we do need a national Sikh Council. But it's through interaction that SCUK are more likley to gain credibilty and the D Day could be seen as that community gelling exercise. The direct relationship between the Sikh and the Sikh Council should exist and not hindered by middle tier of prabhandaks or so easily influenced by the Sikh Channel/Sangat TV. If there's anything that's come out of this fiasco, I believe it's that!

Yes I have worked closely with the old ISYF and its new rebranded SFUK (after the latter was banned in the UK). The problem faced by the ISYF was it had three factions (Bittu, Rode and Taksal). The Rode federation took control and it lost a lot of support as it had no clear direction. The other issue is that while the grass roots federation members work hard, the leadership was often people who have never worked and still managed to have a comfortable living standard (not against that). But it does make you wonder how the federation leadership can live in big houses or own several proiperties when they have never lifted a finger. Where is the transparency in that, the khalistan fund served some people well !!

Thanks to the awareness created by both channels June was a success and gave a new lease of life to the same old washed out leaders who have not served us well for the last 27 years.

The jathebandian can all boast how big they are, but its the calibre of people at the top which is what will dictate how successful they can be. With the same old leadership they will not allow the new blood to rise. Regardless of how many calls they make. Its the same issues youth face in gurdwara's up and down the country.

Firstly, it's easy for us to sit on our backside to criticize our elders, though they are the same ones that have got some success to date in parliament through effective lobbying (on about the uk, not other countries where an awareness day may be/is required). If we think elders are doing nothing and are useless leaders, why don't we, as youth, step up and get involved in organizations like SCUK? They're crying out for educated naujawaan to get involved.

Secondly, Bal/Sikh Channel knew about these concerns months ago. They were arrogant and obnoxious, and chose to ignore them.

Thirdly, they have listened to some concerns - they've rebranded it from a protest to an awareness day.

SCUK wanted to avoid washing dirty linen in public by reaching an appropriate solution in private discussions - this has been going on for at least 4 weeks. However, it is clear from the statement - Bal should'nt have gone back on his word, and he needs to realize his limitations. His actions forced the SCUK to go public. Bal needs to change his attitude and work for the betterment of the Panth, rather his TV channel.

So far what I have learnt through this mess is that scuk and sfuk are the leaders of our panth and we have to obey what they say. Ok we do need so form of leadership.

But like ruling parties in any government, everybody has a term of leadership then the other party wins and so forth. Scuk are new on the scene that have alot to do before they establish themselves as a genuine party that can do things for the panth as half the sikh community dont believe or recognise them.

Sfuk have been around so long they're getting stale. They have done probably alot underground or in the background but the fact is we still ain't got justice for 84, we still ain't got khalistan, we have identity issues, we have 5k issues we have meat and alcohol issues in the Gurughars and the list goes on....

My point is our leaders and jathe have worked

Hard but havent really achieved anything significant unless you guys can enlighten me.

What's wrong people getting up from the own backsides and doing something ? Well sikh channel have and looks were it got them.

If the people against were really Sikhs or cared about panth they would feel we need to join them and not to make the community look stupid on the day with mixed messages to the authorities and next time we should cooperate and work together.

I think this dday is a message not only to the world but to our so called leaders that work with the sangat and we will work with you. Keep us informed with decisions you are making that effect us the sangat, and finally achieve a goal that you guys are working in ton prove you are capable of actually doing something.

I think I agree with you aksantali that our Jathebandiaan need better communication as to what they're up to. They do a lot of work but need more communication to gain the confidence and trust of sangat.

This is why it's important that more naujawaan get involved, so that they are part of the solution. It's very easy for us to make posts on SS.com (including me), but it is hundred times harder to effectively engage and lobby ministers. How many of us can hand on heart say we have managed this?

Trust me - I tried, but did not have much success. I took Dr Rai's suggestion, and took my MP for an informal meal - much more effective! These people have the experience, as they deal with politicians all the time. However, if we think we can be agents of positive change, let's take pro-active steps to join Sikh organizations, and make a difference (rather than whinging on SS.com!).

Back on topic, if you speak to SCUK Sevadaars, you will realize that they have made great progress in dastaar issues in the uk, and are against D-Day for genuine and sincere reasons - not because they are Indian govt or Badal agents. Sometimes you have to trust those that have more info than you. If you don't trust them, become a leader yourself (in the positive sense) and serve the Panth better than the incumbents.

Sikh Council UK have failed in the way they have acted in this matter. I totally agree with Pyara Singh, in that Timing is everything! SCUK should NOT have released this statement this LATE. Unless, of course SCUK actually wanted to split the Sangat!!! You cannot get past the bad timing on the part of SCUK. That bad timing, whether it be intentional or due to incompitance, speaks volumes, more volumes than the statement SCUK have released.

Dear Sikh Council UK, please reassure us that we have intelligent, and honest, people representing us UK Sikhs on our UK Council. Please do not let this bad timing, and bad judgement error happen on your part again! Your bad timing actually makes Sikh Channel look more organised, capable, and in touch with the Sangat, than your are! Please don't let it happen again or I'm sure the Sangat will ask for your resignations! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

im with sikh channel... fact is the event is goin ahead, so either go, attend and support.... or stay at home and keep quiet. there is no need for sangat tv and sikh council to spread anti dastar day & anti sikh channel messages for wotever reason. theres no need to badmouth sikh channel because they have taken an initiative to spread awareness on matters that concern turban wearing sikhs.

we should all attend the gathering (or wotever u want to call it) and raise awareness of what the turban / dastaar means to a sikh and raise awareness that in airports the turban / dastaar needs to be respected.

sangat ji, in the gathering there will be no shouting or chanting...... so i suggest sangat should make signs and take them.

if you cant stand the dastaar being disrespected, then attend!

"Don't go making your own programmes, you are a Sikh 'media' channel and all you should do is cover Sikh issues" - Wrong - go home. Sikh society members need to get their act together. They can't go around telling others what to do. They should instead be supporting those who actually do SOMETHING.