Majority Of Uk Sikhs Upset With Yesterdays Live Show On Sikh Channel (And Dadu Sahib Wale) For Speaking Against Panthic Leaders And Jathebandia!

Puraatan

Just wanted to know on what basis you are speaking for most of the youth. Most I have spoken with are supportive. Furthermore wouldn't it just be easier to not attend Dastar Day if you don't agree with the way it was initiated.

Not speaking on behalf of all the youth. However, it was clear there wasn't much youth there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't think any of the main youth jathebandia supported the event or attended it like BOSS, Sikh Youth Project, Young Sikhs, Babbar group, AKJ youth, Taksal youth, Satkaar campaign sewadars, etc etc etc??? Correct me if I'm wrong but in general it looked like a large group of older Singhs and bibiya.

At least its all done and went well.

Not speaking on behalf of all the youth. However, it was clear there wasn't much youth there.

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't think any of the main youth jathebandia supported the event or attended it like BOSS, Sikh Youth Project, Young Sikhs, Babbar group, AKJ youth, Taksal youth, Satkaar campaign sewadars, etc etc etc??? Correct me if I'm wrong but in general it looked like a large group of older Singhs and bibiya.

At least its all done and went well.

D Day turnout was around 2500-3000. Not massive but alot larger than I thought after all the confusion and mixed messages that were given. There were a proportional amount of youth but what was really evident was that the turnout was a diverse cross-section of the sangat from kids to women to elders.

The general discussion amongst the youth who gathered was that the leadership has never stood up to being accountable. It was a bit of leadership bashing day and that's unfortunate but not surprising.

The winner in all of this was unfortunatly Bal and the Sikh Channel, they have come across as the Sikh voice of the downtrodden. They cleverly gave stage time to anyone who was willing to go on. The group International Panthi Dal managed to build their profile on the gathering and telecast, indirectly offering the idea of a new leadership which the general sangat think they now need. I think the turnout was London/South England strong, which in a way was good to see as it broke the Midland monolpoly of stage limelight. In a way the exercise has propelled some new personalities and possibility of new jathebhandis formalising. Whether that's good or bad, time will tell!

All in all an uplifiting day. Networks were formed, a lot of interaction and exchange of ideas. When we were doing Ardas at the end, I almost fell over with emotion, it felt unreal puting this all into context. We were standing in Westminister London what was once the most powerful centre in the world. The echos of jaikara and panthic naray in Westminister which once rulled over the Sikh world. Who would have ever thought this would happen one day!

The turnout seemed very south england. I think there was not much youth from midlands. They are clearly still swayed by the

'leadership'.

The actual issue at hand needs to be dealt with. Clearly Sikhs are getting trouble across the globe at airports. This is an international issue that needs ekta.

I am not sure if i am with the jathebandian on this one. They say they are in talks with the government but seems to be having little impact.

Good to see there are still so many people who don't need the green light from a jathebandi to support what is a Panthic issue.

My brother is always getting treated differently from others in a queue at airports. Amasing how he is always picked out for the random search! He is forever having to explain away his existence.

Is the swab really a good idea? In America they let you touch your own Dastaar and then you touch a tissue paper. This is less degrading than a swab. Why have the Jathebandian not picked up on this? If it is ok for the big almighty US then why is it not ok for the little poodle UK?

I think all Sikhs need to have a central point to communicate their experience at an airport and then where things are really bad the tv channels need to pick up on it. This way Sikhs feel supported.

Puraatan,

I was prsent athe the rally and here are some facts for you:

1. The turnout was huge. It was obviously less than june rally but they are not both same issues and the turnout was expected to be less.

2. One of my friend called me in the evening and told me that BBC evening news on TV showed the event coverage and also showed interviews with couple of people from there. Judging by this it was great success as many people watching BBC will now know what Dastaar is for sikhs. Coverage by BBC is important and just for context June rally has never been covered in BBC this way. Not that I am against June rally or anything. If someone has the BBC clip please post it here.

3. There were lot of youth. Khalsa Aid people were there. satkaar committe people were there. manvir singh khalsa was there. And in general lot of young people could be seen around. Lot of young dastaar weaaring bibiyan were there. Lot of small kids with fancy dastaars were there, celebrating their Dastaar.

4. The fact that the event was held simultaneously in different europian countriesand was shown live will definitely put some pressure on governments and will also raise awareness about Dastaar in general.

About the live telecasts of sikh channel and Sangat TV, I saw both and I have following to say:

1. I agree sikh channel presenters should not have let people take names and slander anyone but Sangat TV was much worse when Ranjit Singh Rana started it all. just couple of weeks before the event. And even in the latest live teleacast from Sangat TV , even though , Kulwant Singh Dhesi started with saying that Sangat TV will never slader anyone like that, couple of minutes later he himself did the same thing and so did the people on the show.

2. Amrik Singh Gill and some others raised that Baljit Singh daduwal shouldn't have let people take names in his presence. Today in hisinterview Daduwal cleared that he just came couple of days back and wasn't aware of all the background. I personally think he was not at fault even though the presenter should have intervened. But I think Amrik Singh Gill (and JOga Singh)has mistakes on his hands as well like sharing stage with Badal people and Akal takht Jathedar at Sangat TV anniversary.

3. I think even if there were differences those could have been sorted out later. and those who didn't want to attend could have just missed it . Why so much campaign against it just two weeks before the event?

4 Finally I think that probably there are oppurtunists on both sides but I think Sikh federation(Amrik Singh Gill) , FSO (Joga Singh) and well intentioned sikhs on Sikh channel like Sadhu Singh, Gurnam Singh etc all want to do good things for panth. They should put their egos in bin and start afresh and patch up. daduwal also mentioned this in his interview on sikh channel today. But please be aware of Sangat TV unless it distances from Badal's clan.

Thanks for the detailed update and information Harmindersingh. The press coverage from BBC sounds very positive if this has happened. I agree with your points that both channels have been at fault, but it was that Sikh Channel discussion show when OPEN slander was done of the individuals you have named above which put me off and many others off. Also, Dadu Sahib did not need to know any background information about people sitting in a studio and naming certain leaders and slandering work of old organisations. It is common sense that is wrong and the words that were being used were wrong. Plus Sikh Channel made all the arrangements to call over Dadu Sahib and Raghbir Singh must have been in very regular contact with Dadu Sahib, so he will have been aware of the controversy over the last two weeks. In fact, Dadu Sahib even said during a telephone call-in from India a few days before that discussion show that "Sikh Channel should not listen to anyone else and carry on with D-Day" and he "makes an appeal to all jathebandia to get on board" - that is basically what was said. He was aware of everything. I have great sympathy for Dr Sadhu Singh who has got caught in the middle of this, he obviously had very good intentions and so did Gurnam Singh. They are not at fault. Even Mr Bal is probably not that bad, but it was the presenter that day and the panel who had a hidden agenda backed by a very bad set of audience from the International Panthic Dal. They should apologise. Please note that I am not personally against Sikh Channel (even Dr Sadhu Singh apologised that perhaps Sikh Channel should have had meetings with Sikh leaders about the event at an earlier date - very good of him) - it is just that particular discussion show and those in it that made matters a 100 times worse for everyone.

But I think Amrik Singh Gill (and JOga Singh)has mistakes on his hands as well like sharing stage with Badal people and Akal takht Jathedar at Sangat TV anniversary.

But please be aware of Sangat TV unless it distances from Badal's clan.

In regards to that, also see the below post by another member:

Randhir Singh said that Sangat TV is dedicated to Sri Akal Takhat Sahib as it is the highest institution in the Sikh Panth. Also everyone seems to be jumping up and down about the Akal Takhat Jathedar coming to the anniversary programme but no one is aware that after the programme in darbar sahib, the Jathedar met with all the Singhs in the Gurdwara office and answered all the questions which were put to him. Bhai Kuldeep Singh Chaheru and Bhai Joga Singh were very vocal in describing their disappointment in the role of the Jathedar in the whole Vienna case. Just because something does not happen in front of everyone doesnt mean it does not happen at all..

IF ANYTHING, it is the likes of Dadu Wale who we need to be aware of. He not only shares a stage with Badal people, he gave Sukhbir Badal a siropa along with Sarna (he has openly admitted this today on Sikh Channel). He also is close with Dhumma who is Badals puppet. He is close with Jasbir Rode as they both set up the International Panthic Dal and we all know Rode is a sell-out who recently joined forces with Badal. Raghbir Singh of International Panthic Dal is the one who calls over Dadu Wala to the UK. It is all linked together. Dadu Wala not only shares stages with them, but is best freinds with many of Badals close associates, not to mention actually giving siropeh to Badal Junior and Sarna.