Guru Gobind Singh Ji'S Attire

Sukhmanii

11Gurus1jot,

I agree, I really like this picture of Guru Sahib Ji, of all the pictures to me this captures maybe a little of the tap-tej of Guru Ji.

You only fall into the trap of image worship if you let it, to me this is a picture of my father and whenever I see it it reminds me

of my father. Just like when you look at a photo album of your family of parents the photos remind you of your father or mother.

In the same way these pictures remind us of our father and to me that is a good thing.

From what I have read/heard Guru Sahib Ji was tall and slender of build with sharp facial features......... and always with a smile on their face.

Gurfateh Bundha,

From what I have been told (and I'm not saying this is correct), is that according to the School of Bhai Mani Singh Ji, you can get darshan of you Guru Ji in 4 ways. Being the Moorakh I am I forgot the 4 ways to see Guru Ji. I think the ways were

• Shabad
  • Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji
  • Pictures/Portraits
  • and Guru visiting you in your dreams

If anyone can confirm the 4 ways I'd be grateful, as I'd hate to misquote Bhai Mani Singh Ji

Also, I have been told that you can bow down to a picture if there is shabad on the picture. To me it works both ways, the Shabad reminds me of the 10 Gurus, and portraits of the 10 Gurus remind me of the Shabad, and the great lives the Gurus lead!

Maharaj Ji was Rajrishi ..... wearing beutifully crafted attire, it was the way the raj was going to be won, Maharaj Ji came to establish the Raj of the Khalsa so adopted this attire.

Guru Nanak Dev Ji was brahmrishi...... with full concentration on contemplating god and not initially interested in creating Khalsa.

Remember one jyot travelling through the embodiment of 10 Guru Sahibs and when the time came the jyot took form of Raj Rishi from Brahm Rishi, (from Guru Arjan Dev Ji to Sri Hargobind Sahib Ji) and created Khalsa

if Guru Sahib Wanted to they could have created Sikhi in one Guruship, they had the power to do that but as you see they took ten bodily forms to do so, as a teaching for us, to not just jump on the bandwagon and brandish our shastar but to contemplate the name of god, finding and gaining self realisation first.

We have to remember that the pictures that are drawn by people are just pictures. They have no reflection on how each Guru Sahib looked. Nice as they are, we should not fall into the worship of them as have Hindus, Christians of their Deities.

Dhan Akal!

Nice as they are, we should not fall into the worship of them as have Hindus, Christians of their Deities.

Yeah bro, its a bit late for that. i know many sikhs who worships these paintingsas if they were really like what Guru Ji was about.

• 10 years later...
On 10/5/2011 at 11:31 AM, Sukhmanii said:

This will probably seem like an extremely random thread, but I'm curious.

In photos (which I know, don't necessarily show the Guru Sahibs accurately) Guru Gobind Singh Ji is almost always wearing a small kind of dastar, like this:

http://www.efunbox.com/album/Guru_Gobind_Singh_Jayanti_03.jpg

Not that it really matters, but is there any evidence to suggest his dastar was like this? Some people tell me he wore a big dhumalla, but that's not really evident from the way people portray him.

http://www.gotit.co/wallpaperImages/Guru_Gobind_Singh_Ji.jpg

Did he wear red/ pink like so many pictures show? Did he wear necklaces? Or did he wear a blue bana? Where did the tradition of the bana come from if Guru Gobind Singh didn't wear one?

2 minutes ago, Premi5 said:

Any idea why Green ? Not a typical 'Sikh' color

Most likely not green but often depicted as that colour 

4 minutes ago, dallysingh101 said:

These are thought to be contemporary paintings of Guru ji at various stages of their earthy life. Make of them what you will:

Misconceptions on the Birth of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji

A (likely) Real Painting of Guru Gobind Singh

1*4CvFoPXuIaVIoxorWfDhyQ.png

Related thread:

I really don't see our Guru as in the first one. The eyes are not done to scale in second photo

I've said it before in another thread, of course, just my perception /opinion, but I think Dasmesh Pita Ji likely looked a lot more like this

A popular art piece of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji, as requested by u/euroindo  : r/Sikh