Sikh Rehat Maryada - Regarding Hindu Rituals

osingh

"Just because a few "professors" and "Doctors" contributed to it, dosnt make it panthic."

Great Gursikhs contributed to the SRM, you may refer to them as "professors and "doctors", but Gurmukhs such as Akali Kaur Singh ji, Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh ji, Sant Sangat Singh Kamaliya ji, Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha ji, Pandit Kartar Singh Dakha ji, Sant Teja Singh ji etc deserve the upmost respect.

Here is a link to full list of people who contributed to formation of this maryada: http://sgpc.net/sikh...ntroduction.asp

"If today a few "knowledgeable" folks" - bhai Vir Singh, bhai Kahn Singh, pandit Kartar Singh are not knowledgable? The above mentioned Gursikhs are not knowledgable?

"Did Baba Deep Singh have no maryada, was Bhai Mani Singh without a maryada to follow." - of course Baba ji followed maryada. They followed perfect maryada because they had sangat of Guru Gobind Singh ji who is the embodiment of maryada. I don't understand the logic of this quote veer ji.

"I dont ever recall Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji giving their seal to this "sri akaal takth sahib maryada". " - how can Guru Maharaj give seal to SRM when it was formed in early 1900's? This maryada was formed by Gurmukhs from all accorss India and even abroad. Nobody claims that this maryada was given 'seal' by Guru Hargobind Singh.

Neverthless, the topic is about whether hindu rituals have any place in Gurmat. My opinion is that rituals such as havan were rejected by Guru Sahib. The real havan is to japp Naam. For Gumukhs shabad Guru is our jahaaj (ship) across this ocean of maya.

Rabb Rakhe

How the xxxx, is havan innovative?...people have been practising that for centuries!

When I said innovation I meant religious innovation. A religious innovation is an invention of a new method of worshiping God which was not originally started by a founder of the religion. In our case, Havan is a religious innovation which is not a Guru created ritual.

When I said innovation I meant religious innovation. A religious innovation is an invention of a new method of worshiping God which was not originally started by a founder of the religion. In our case, Havan is a religious innovation which is not a Guru created ritual.

Copying something from another religion is not innovation.

"Just because a few "professors" and "Doctors" contributed to it, dosnt make it panthic."

Great Gursikhs contributed to the SRM, you may refer to them as "professors and "doctors", but Gurmukhs such as Akali Kaur Singh ji, Bhai Sahib Bhai Vir Singh ji, Sant Sangat Singh Kamaliya ji, Bhai Kahn Singh Nabha ji, Pandit Kartar Singh Dakha ji, Sant Teja Singh ji etc deserve the upmost respect.

Here is a link to full list of people who contributed to formation of this maryada: http://sgpc.net/sikh...ntroduction.asp

"If today a few "knowledgeable" folks" - bhai Vir Singh, bhai Kahn Singh, pandit Kartar Singh are not knowledgable? The above mentioned Gursikhs are not knowledgable?

"Did Baba Deep Singh have no maryada, was Bhai Mani Singh without a maryada to follow." - of course Baba ji followed maryada. They followed perfect maryada because they had sangat of Guru Gobind Singh ji who is the embodiment of maryada. I don't understand the logic of this quote veer ji.

"I dont ever recall Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji giving their seal to this "sri akaal takth sahib maryada". " - how can Guru Maharaj give seal to SRM when it was formed in early 1900's? This maryada was formed by Gurmukhs from all accorss India and even abroad. Nobody claims that this maryada was given 'seal' by Guru Hargobind Singh.

Neverthless, the topic is about whether hindu rituals have any place in Gurmat. My opinion is that rituals such as havan were rejected by Guru Sahib. The real havan is to japp Naam. For Gumukhs shabad Guru is our jahaaj (ship) across this ocean of maya.

Rabb Rakhe

Dude, you beat me to it...I was gonna give him that list. Nice response anyway.

The Guru Panth has endorsed this maryada, the Akal Takhat has given its seal to it, (therefore it's a Panthic Maryada), and the SGPC have published it.

Harmeet_Singh > Bhai Randhir Singhs name is in the committee who drafted the Maryada...was he one of the Doctors and Professors you were referring too?

Great Gursikhs contributed to the SRM, yet with one careless remark you done the nindiya of all of them.

Copying is another way of seeing it. But within the Sikh dharm, havan is an innovation since the Gurus did not do Havan or ask their Sikhs to do Havan.

Bro, you and me are on the same page as far as this unnecessary ritual is concerned. I am not in favour of innovations or deviations that have crept up amongst the Sikhs over the centuries. UnSikh practices such as Havans, Shraads, observance of Pooranmashi have no place in Sikh dharam.

Are you referring to the deal reached with Avtar Singh Makkar and Harnam Singh? This decision was not made using proper protocol. Many people from the Nanakshahi were dissapointed in the decision to change the calendar especially without a proper debate.

The original decision wasnt made using proper protocol either. Many people were dissappointed that the decision was made to introduce it without proper debate or reasoning behind it.

• 2 months later...

Dude, you beat me to it...I was gonna give him that list. Nice response anyway.

The Guru Panth has endorsed this maryada, the Akal Takhat has given its seal to it, (therefore it's a Panthic Maryada), and the SGPC have published it.

Harmeet_Singh > Bhai Randhir Singhs name is in the committee who drafted the Maryada...was he one of the Doctors and Professors you were referring too?

Great Gursikhs contributed to the SRM, yet with one careless remark you done the nindiya of all of them.

Sorry for the late response,

Yes great folks did contribute, but many great folks also refused to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

The SRM is good and we should be thankful for it. No other maryada can claim to have the diversity and number of contributors as this maryada. Even Nihang Akali Kaur Singh ji as well as nirmala pandit Kartar Singh ji contributed to this maryada in addition to great scholars such as bhai Vir Singh ji and bhai Kahn Singh Nabha ji.

For me the largest mistake in this maryada is regarding meat. However with the kirpa of Akal Purakh besides Nihangs and few Gurdwaras outside of Panjab the majority of the panth does not serve meat in Gurdwaras.

To further improve this maryada, the 3 mandatory banis should be changed to 5 banis.

Sant Gurbachan Singh ji or bhai Randhir Singh ji did not sign the final draft of the maryada however they did not obstruct the passing of this maryada. Its unfortunate that people are trying to undermine this maryada which is not good for unity. No one jathebandi can claim their maryada is perfect nor can they impose their maryada on anyone else. Its is unfair to bring the names of mahaan Gursikhs into this debate.

This maryada is a good basis to build on. It makes it perfectly clear that hindu rituals such as janeu or havan are not according ot Gurmat and clearly states so.

Another great thing about the Singh Sabha movement is that did parchar in regards to making sure mazhabi Sikh's could take amrit.

hmm but havan is from the native culture right?

The SRM is good and we should be thankful for it. No other maryada can claim to have the diversity and number of contributors as this maryada. Even Nihang Akali Kaur Singh ji as well as nirmala pandit Kartar Singh ji contributed to this maryada in addition to great scholars such as bhai Vir Singh ji and bhai Kahn Singh Nabha ji.

For me the largest mistake in this maryada is regarding meat. However with the kirpa of Akal Purakh besides Nihangs and few Gurdwaras outside of Panjab the majority of the panth does not serve meat in Gurdwaras.

I would have to question one's understanding of kshatri dharam to consider this part as being a mistake?

Sant Gurbachan Singh ji or bhai Randhir Singh ji did not sign the final draft of the maryada however they did not obstruct the passing of this maryada. Its unfortunate that people are trying to undermine this maryada which is not good for unity. No one jathebandi can claim their maryada is perfect nor can they impose their maryada on anyone else. Its is unfair to bring the names of mahaan Gursikhs into this debate.

Of course, but how do non-puraatan jathebandis have a more perfect maryada than Guru's puraatan sampradaiey? Just a question!?!