Sikh Rehat Maryada - Regarding Hindu Rituals

osingh

• 2 weeks later...

osingh if you read the history of the maryada (which they publish) the maryada that akaali kaur singh ji and the taksal jathedar ec had vichared about wasn't published because the committee couldnt agree on it...

Its only after so many years after it has been published and after it was changed three tyms, meaning you can't say that they all had an input

Veer sinhar28 jeeo, I totally agree with your above comment, Akali Kaur Singh jee's views, Bhai Randhir Singh jee's views, Sant Gurbachan Singh jee's, Bhai Vir Singh jee's views e.t.c. were never fully implemented, why? Because all Jathebandis/Sampardas/Gursikhs have differences regarding maryada so it was impossible to implement one individual or one groups views fully. This is the way it should be, this is a panthic maryada that is designed to take to views of the Sikh Panth and form a universal maryada. If Taksals maryada was implemented or AKJ, Nirmale, Nihang e.t.c. then how could this maryada be called panthic?

Also nowhere does it state in the maryada or does anyone claim that this Maryada is from Guru Gobind Singh ji.

Yes the maryada was changed a few times and daas is not sure if this was done in a panthic way, however this does not mean we just dismiss the maryada.

I'm not sure how much input each individual Gursikh had but at least they were contacted and invited to put forth their views.

I think we should respect this maryada and treat it as the bare minimum that a Gursikh should adopt into their jeevan. I think the other Takhts besides sri Hazur Sahib more or less follow the SRM.

i totally agree with the elements of osingh post here, that's the way it should be in puratan time there was panj takth maryada which was panthic maryada which try to bring sikhs from all walks of life together but then there was separate maryada for different sampardava's (nirmale including taksal, nihangs, udhasi, sevapanthis). Don't think of it as black and white (panthic or anti panthic blah blah), think of it from diversity angle of sri guru nanak dev ji have beautiful garden(fulkari) with all the different unique flowers in them off branches, all coming from seed of tree put by sri guru nanak dev ji..!!

I think if i was sevadar of sri akaal takth sahib - i would try to strike a right balance..!!..lot of hard work is being put in current maryada of sri akaal takth sahib..off course its not perfect there is always room for tweaking...!!

I think the other Takhts besides sri Hazur Sahib more or less follow the SRM.

Singh I would think twice regarding sri hazur sahib maryada. Sant gyani gurbachan singh bhindranwale clearly said he does not agree with art-arta aspect but in the same breath he clearly said- sikh should never criticize takth sahib maryada..!!..those hazoori singhs are extremely anakhi, highly devotional premi who have nothing BUT extreme pyar towards sri guru gobind singh maharaj and his shastars/relics.

I think current status of jathedars of panj takths all working together speaks for itself..thats the way it should be, jathedars with all five takths had bumpy relationship in the past but now things are improving all jathedars of panj takths are coming together in a panthic decision, in fact most of hakumnams are signed after authorization of all jathedars of five takths in the panth...!!..this is very good sign..its not one man show the way it was in the past post singh sabha time.!!

There were various meetings that the Gursikhs attended. I guess the maryada was formed through discussion/debate between these Gursikhs and coming to common agreement.

If someone has more info please share, I am not sure if the details of the meetings were ever written down.

It seems logical that the research/findings were based on the Rehitnames, other puratan texts and also personal vichaars of Gursikhs/Jathebandis/Samparda. Again I do not think these details were recorded, maybe there is more info available in the SGPC itihaas pustak which is available on PDL.

There were various meetings that the Gursikhs attended. I guess the maryada was formed through discussion/debate between these Gursikhs and coming to common agreement.

essentially what was discussed and debated was the Sikh scriptures and practices from the times of the Gurus upto present. Then a common consensus was agreed upon and passed.

Personal veechars of Gursikhs/Jathebandis/Samparda were not taken into account. only those that were written down in puratan texts and practised were taken into account.