Sikh Rehat Maryada - Regarding Hindu Rituals

osingh

Another great thing about the Singh Sabha movement is that did parchar in regards to making sure mazhabi Sikh's could take amrit.

No one ever banned mazhbi sikhs from taking Amrit. They did take amrit in Guru sahib's time itself.

So it was not singh sabha that introduced them to Amrit.

"Of course, but how do non-puraatan jathebandis have a more perfect maryada than Guru's puraatan sampradaiey? Just a question!?!"

I don't believe in samparda's or puratan jathebandis. Guru Gobind Singh ji did not start any new sects or jathebandis when Khalsa was formed.

Of course Guru ji did start, maintain or endorse puraatan sampradaiye:

Guru ji had respect for the udasi samprada, one of the Guru's even gave his son to the samprada who became a leader, Baba Gurditta ji.

Guru Gobind Singh also started the nirmalay, who went to Benaras to increase their knowledge/gyaan.

Guru ji also inherited the Akalis from Guru Hargobind sahib and increased the samprada into the Akali nihang Khalsa samprada.

Bhai Kanayha jee started the Sewapanthi samprada.

If I made any errors please someone correct me.

Thanks.

I don't believe in samparda's or puratan jathebandis. Guru Gobind Singh ji did not start any new sects or jathebandis when Khalsa was formed.

Samprdayes are not sects or jathebandies. that is your loss if you dont beleive.

If puratan sampradaye claim to have perfect maryada then why does maryada differ from Nihangs to Nirmale and Taksal. Some Nihangs consume meat and bhang while Taksal and other Samprdaye are strictly against meat and bhang? At sri Hazoor Sahib they claim to follow puratan maryada which includes jhatka and applying tilak of blood to shasters. Is this maryada perfect? Of course not. Bhai Hari Singh Randhawa of Damdami Taksal said this maryada at Hazoor Sahib is wrong (which I agree with) yet both Taksal and Singh's from Hazoor Sahib claim their respective maryada is puratan.

Hari Singh gave his own opinion, and he does not speak for the Taskal. Sant Gurbachan Singh and Sant Jarnail Singh have never questioned the maryada at Sri Hazur Sahib. And also the taksal and dal panth respect each others maryada very much.

However no one can claim that any samprdaia or jathebandi has perfect maryada. Its best to analyse all samprdaia and jathebandis and try and deduce what is Gurmat and what is ant-gurmat. For me, bhang and jhatka/meat will never be allowed for Khalsa although some Singh's claim it is 'Puratan'

May Guru Sahib bless his Khalsa Panth with Perfect Maryada.

See, the Guru has already blessed his panth with the perfect maryada, its just you cant see it because of your bias, and what your own version of sikhi is. Why should samprdayes be analysed through your warped view of Gurmat?

The best thing mate is to study gurmat more, not just read one or 2 books. read history more, and you will, if you understand them, have the view that the Samprdayes are blessed and originated from our own Gurus hukam. And give up trying to play samprdayes against each other over differences to try and prove you are right.

"Of course, but how do non-puraatan jathebandis have a more perfect maryada than Guru's puraatan sampradaiey? Just a question!?!"

If puratan sampradaye claim to have perfect maryada then why does maryada differ from Nihangs to Nirmale and Taksal. Some Nihangs consume meat and bhang while Taksal and other Samprdaye are strictly against meat and bhang? At sri Hazoor Sahib they claim to follow puratan maryada which includes jhatka and applying tilak of blood to shasters. Is this maryada perfect? Of course not. Bhai Hari Singh Randhawa of Damdami Taksal said this maryada at Hazoor Sahib is wrong (which I agree with) yet both Taksal and Singh's from Hazoor Sahib claim their respective maryada is puratan.

Perfect Maryada is known only to Guru Sahib, it's up to the Khalsa to deduce what is Gurmat and what is against Gurmat. We can use Guru Granth Sahib, Bhai Nand Lal ji, bhai Gurdas ji and Rehitname as well as other hiostorical texts to deduce the correct Rehit.

I respect Taksal, Nihangs and Nirmale because they have contributed greatly to the panth. Great Gursikhs such as Akali Kaur Singh ji, Kavi Santokh Singh ji, Sant Grubachan Singh ji and many others from these sampardaia have done immense seva for the panth.

However no one can claim that any samprdaia or jathebandi has perfect maryada. Its best to analyse all samprdaia and jathebandis and try and deduce what is Gurmat and what is ant-gurmat. For me, bhang and jhatka/meat will never be allowed for Khalsa although some Singh's claim it is 'Puratan'.

Maryada was passed down Guru Gobind Singh ji to the first panj piare who then passed this knowledge down to other Gursikhs. This maryada that was given to the first Panj Piare (bhai Daya Singh ji, bhai Himmat Singh ji, bhai Mokham Singh ji, bhai Dharam Singh ji and bhai Sahib Singh ji) is the Perfect Maryada.

May Guru Sahib bless his Khalsa Panth with Perfect Maryada.

Being an old Jathabandi/sampradah does not mean one is following 100% pure rehet. If this was the case then Taksal, Nihangs, Hazoor Sahib, Patna Sahib, Nirmale would all be following the exact same rehet. The fact that they don't follow the same rehet is proof that innovations and deviation have crept up in their respective rehets over the centuries.

The best way to know that to follow and what not to follow is to just use everything with the touch stone of Gurbani. Anything that contradicts Gurbani should be discarded. For a Sikh his personal Rehet and spiritual jeevan go hand in hand. A Sikh should follow rehet (keep 5 Kakkars, avoid 4 krahits etc) but at the same time keep strict amritvela and meditate on Naam Simran. Naam Simran and Bani is a must in a Sikh's jeevan. That is what will make us strong from the inside. That is what will give us courage to fight savaa lakh fauj.

A Sikh should study Gurbani no matter what. At least an Amritdhari Sikh should be able to do complete Viakhya of japji Sahib since all of Sikh philosophy is contained in Japji Sahib. From Japji Sahib the other Nitnem Banis should next be studied. It is a step by step process every Sikh should do. With individual Sikhs getting into ChardiKala, the whole of Panth will be uplifted.

Veer Chatanga ji,

Samprdayes are not sects or jathebandies. that is your loss if you dont beleive.

My opinion is that in 1699 Vaisakhi Guru Gobind Singh ji created the Khalsa. I believe that the Khalsa has 1 maryada to be followed by all and not seperate maryada's ie Nihang, Nirmale etc.

Hari Singh gave his own opinion, and he does not speak for the Taskal. Sant Gurbachan Singh and Sant Jarnail Singh have never questioned the maryada at Sri Hazur Sahib. And also the taksal and dal panth respect each others maryada very much.

I just quoted what Hari singh Randhawa said about the maryada at sri Hazoor Sahib. Please listen to the katha of Giani Gurbachan Singh ji Khalsa on gurmatveechar.com. Please listen to katha of ang 1377, Giani Gurbachan Singh does arth of baani of bhagat Kabir ji:

ਕਬੀਰਭਾਂਗਮਾਛੁਲੀਸੁਰਾਪਾਨਿਜੋਜੋਪ੍ਰਾਨੀਖਾਂਹਿ

Please listen to the arths done by Giani Gurbachan Singh ji. They make it perfectly clear that maas, bhang, sharaab and paan (betel leaf) is forbidden.

Why should samprdayes be analysed through your warped view of Gurmat?

I do not claim to have 1% knowledge of Gurmat. I am no giani.

Samprdayes are blessed and originated from our own Gurus hukam. And give up trying to play samprdayes against each other over differences to try and prove you are right.

I am not in the business of playing jathebandis or sampradayees against each other. Please do not make such accusations veer ji. I bow my head to mahaan Gurmukhs such as Kavi Santokh Singh ji (Nirmale), Giani Gurbachan Singh ji (Damdami Taksal), Akali Kaur Singh ji (Nihang) etc

However I am of the opinion that maas and intoxicants are to be abstained from. This is from reading Gurbani. Also I do not believe that Guru Gobind Singh ji inititiated different sampradaia ie Nihangs for fighting, Nirmale for obtaining giaan. I believe that a Khalsa is Sant-Sipahi, he has gyaan and fighting skills, he/she should learn both, not one or the other.

The bachans of Guru Granth Sahib ji cannot be changed and are atal (eternal). If Gurbani forbids maas surely we have to obey these hukams.

It is not fair to use the argument that a particular group was initiated by Guru Sahib so whatever they practice is correct.

Having said the above, I have learnt a lot from the various samprdaia and will contunue to do so ie listening to arths of Gurbani from sri maan Giani Gurbachan Singh ji Khalsa. As a panth we should respect the various samprdaia.

This is my opinion veer Chatanga ji.

Daas Onkar Singh

Make your mind up Onkar Bhaji, which one is it?

Veer Chatanga ji, I have stated that I respect and learn from my elder Gursikh brothers from the various sampradaee such as Kavi Santokh Singh ji of Nirmala samparda and author of the great historical granth, Suraj Parkash and Giani Gurbachan Singh ji Khalsa, jathedar of Damdami Taksal.

We should also respect these great Gurmukhs.

However my personal opinion is that samprada were not created by any of our Guru Sahibaan. I believe in 1 panth and 1 maryada. I do not believe that every Sikh must take Amrit from panj piare and that panj kakaar have to be worn at all times. Also I am 100% against the eating of meat/jhatka and putting blood on shasters. For me Guru Gobind Singh Sahib created 1 samprada/panth/jathebandi whatever and that is called the Khalsa.

But I will also stress that we should maintain a mutual respect between each others beliefs. At the end of the day we are all united by our have prem and sharda in Guru Nanak Dev ji.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

• 3 months later...