Sky 840 In Trouble By Ofcom

PrabhKaSimran

It is worth noting that there is no fine at the moment, if you read the Ofcom Broadcast Bulletin (see the original post for link to report) which is Issue 192 dated 24 October 2011, there are around 30 listed cases Ofcom discuss in this issue. Sikh Channel Youth Show is one of them!

One main point that Ofcom have raised is the extreme delay Sikh Channel Management took in passing the requested footage over to Ofcom. This has been flagged up on the report as a principal point along with the other issues.

An overall lack of foresight, professionalism and compliance is the issue here which should not be masked by playing a childish blame game.

So as per Ofcom, Sikhs can't use the word "Genocide" to decribe the Delhi 1984 or the dissapearances of Sikhs during the 80s and 90s in Punjab on Sikh Channel!

Someone's truly shafted us! Another feather in the cap of the Hind Sarkar!

You're absolutely right!!!

Definition of Genocide "The systematic and widespread extermination or attempted extermination of an entire national, racial, religious, or ethnic group."

Can Ofcom tell the Sikhs how to react to their daughters, sons, mothers, fathers, and grandparents being gang raped, tortured, burnt alive, falsely imprisoned, and murdered, in 1984, and following years? If Ofcom do NOT even know any of the facts of the genocide that took place against the Sikhs in India in 1984, and onwards, then how do they have the right to dictate whether the Sikhs can or cannot state the truth?? I guess Ofcom would say that it's not their job to find out about the Sikh Genocide in the 1980s and 1990's, or read any of the books that are available that state all the facts! OK Ofcom may not want to know the facts, however, they can't stop the Sikhs from stating the facts!

Hilter killed/gassed loads of Jews in concentration camps. Can Ofcom silence the Jews about talking about that? Do the Jews have to have a Nazi sitting there with his point of view? Answer, No! Ofcom let the Jews talk about their Genocide without a Nazi giving his or her views. So WHY are Ofcom trying to prevent the Sikhs from talking about their Genocide? Are Ofcom favouring the Jews over the Sikhs because the Jews are White?

Ofcom is watching the Channels? Who's watching Ofcom? Who's making sure Neo-Nazism isn't inadvertently supported by Ofcom?

Anyone who states the truth should be commended! Anyone who tries to prevent the truth from being stated, especially when they cannot be bothered to find out the facts themselves, should be condemned, regardless of the capacity in which the try to silence the truth!

If 2 people, who did not want the TRUTH to be stated, contacted Ofcom and caused this fuss, then why can't we as Sikhs, who like the truth the be stated, contact Ofcom and state that we feel that we are being oppressed from telling the truth on our own media.

Remember, Sikh Channel belongs to YOU, the Sikhs, If it loses money in silly fines etc, then YOU the Sikhs lose. If ever it closed down due to lack of support then YOU, the Sikhs, lose YOUR channel!!!

Please support YOUR channel, only YOU have everything to gain while it's broadcasting, and only YOU will have lost YOUR channel, if ever it went under. Believe me, we'd ALL regret it then!!!.

Support all Sikh Channels - Support your voice!

some points re the above –

1. ofcom is not stopping sikhs talking about human rights abuses in india or advocating khalistan on the sikh channel or anywhere else – what ofcom is saying is that as per its code which all tv broadcasters are subject to it is not the job of broadcast media like the sikh channel to be partial on such issues but rather give others the platform to voice their opinions - don't think its a good idea to start complaining to ofcom

2. sikh channel’s response posted above to ofcom’s findings appears to suggest the channel will show neutrality in the future on these issues – this is a change to its original response to ofcom and the argument it made previously re its role in the d-day protest that it is a ‘campaigning’ channel and will take an editorial stance and participate in the debate on sikh issues

3. sikh channel should have an editorial and broadcast policy and make it clear to the sangat – they are not prevented from raising any of the issues they have re india and human rights they just need to do it an ofcom code compliant way hopefully this will lead to more professionally produced programming on these issues in the future - there is nothing stopping the channel naming and shaming on such shows the indian high commission and the indian oversees congress party members if/when they are invited to debate the issues and refuse to attend like is commonly done on the bbc

4. blaming kam may help sikh channel in its appeal but is not fair on him in that he’s not the only presenter on sikh channel to present his own views during a show and in any case ofcom’s bigger criticism appears to be the channel’s failure to provide the footage on time

5. the complaints filed at ofcom were not only to do with kam’s show but also involved two other shows earlier that month – recall that this was the month leading up to the june rally when jathebandee’s were on the channels asking everyone to attend. anti sikh elements are clearly worried by the power of sikh media in galvanising sangat’s interest on the issue of India and sikhs - hope sikh channel finds out who made the complaints with a freedom information request if necessary and let the sangat know - what are the chances they are sikhs not hindus

hope sikh channel finds out who made the complaints with a freedom information request

Great Suggestion!!! - I hope Sikh Channel obtain the names from a Freedom of Information request. I hope Sikh Channel use the Freedom of Information requests for all issues concerning Ofcom.

Once again - Freedom of Information request - Great Suggestion!!!

Sikh Channel - please read the above.

A really objective review on the situation by singh211 above ^^. Some great suggestions highlighted above which can give Sikh Channel the edge on presenting the real Sikh voice.

Sikh Channel need to move on from it’s shoe-string presenting and towards a higher quality editorial and broadcast policy. After being on air for 2/3 years now, it does desperately need to kick start the editorial content. I fail to understand why they are still failing on this. We have an abundance of intelligent articulate media focussed Sikhs in the UK. By now there should be an established qualified research team in the Channel, even if it is part voluntary. One can only guess that the boss Davinder Bal’s attitude is still the barricade to the channel's true potential.

A really objective review on the situation by singh211 above ^^. Some great suggestions highlighted above which can give Sikh Channel the edge on presenting the real Sikh voice.

Sikh Channel need to move on from it’s shoe-string presenting and towards a higher quality editorial and broadcast policy. After being on air for 2/3 years now, it does desperately need to kick start the editorial content. I fail to understand why they are still failing on this. We have an abundance of intelligent articulate media focussed Sikhs in the UK. By now there should be an established qualified research team in the Channel, even if it is part voluntary. One can only guess that the boss Davinder Bal’s attitude is still the barricade to the channel's true potential.

A good point I was itching to make.

I don't think the owners of the channel are really that concerned about pushing forward the correct agenda, i.e. one that would benefit Sikhs to a point where things are discussed and acted upon after the cameras stop rolling. I think the existence of the channel is just a symbol for the people at the top, and the actual content of Sikh Channel is incidental and therefore there really isn't much deep thought placed into what appears on the audience's screens.

Its like "Okay so we've got our channel for Sikhs and let it just coast along. The audience aren't a demanding bunch as long as we show gurbani at the correct time of day and throw-in the odd debate when necessary, there's simply no need to go over-board".

It seems like these niche channels react to events rather than shape the agenda.

Before anyone jumps in, I am offering my opinion on the situation as a casual viewer of the output of various Sikh channels in the world of satellite TV. I do not know any of the people involved as I do not move in those heady circles. I'm a simple guy who is making a point about things I've seen. I'm not affiliated to anyone so my criticism doesn't mask any vested interest on behalf of any third party.