Sky 840 In Trouble By Ofcom

PrabhKaSimran

I haven't got Sky but I did use to watch Sikh Channel on-line, especially the youth show on Sunday night. Was Kam Singh the dark-bearded young gentleman with the Midlands accent?

Yes. He was that young handsome gentleman who sat in the middle and had the punchlines "paji's just hit the nail on the head!" and "faaantastic". I think the show is being truly missed!

Two fools complain and the Sikh Channel is fined?! This is not acceptable.

Yes. He was that young handsome gentleman who sat in the middle and had the punchlines "paji's just hit the nail on the head!" and "faaantastic". I think the show is being truly missed!

That is sad. He seemed like an agreeable fellow. Possibly a bit rough around the edges for television (in terms of unknowingly reverting to slang in a professional studio environment) but that was part of his appeal and it made the show that bit more warm and engaging. He seemed to have an actual personality instead of being scared stiff of the cameras like some presenters I've seen in the past.

If I can offer a different perspective on this issue....the UK has very strict rules on the impartiality of news and current affairs. They have been in place for decades and have made sure that we don't have the kind of rubbish that is broadcast in the US on channels like Fox News.

It is not enough to say that if someone wants to put a different opinion, they can come to our studio and we will let them.... the programme maker has a responsibility to ensure that an 'alternative viewpoint' is put forward during a broadcast - Sikh Channel has not been doing this on its programmes.

These rules also protect Sikhs from other groups putting forward views that we would find abhorrent and misleading.

@ sypyouthshow please note the the banning of Kam Singh has nothing to do with ofcom fines but was the result of the tent fight and destroyed that live show.

I have full faith in Sikh Channel that they will always speak freely.

What tent fight are you referring to above?

If your reference above is to the "international conference" thing then as far as I remember, it was Kuldip S Cheuru of Leicester who stood up and started getting hostile and charged up the mood of the live show after Kam Singh mentioned Dadusahib wale around 1.5 hours into the defensive discussions which took place. This is when the cameras switched off.

But there was no physical fight as such. Just some rowdy opinions. I feel you are sensationalising this by calling it a fight!

The live "international conference" show was doomed from the beginning and it was evident very early on that the mood was extremely volatile even before the show went live. I don't think you can pin this one on Kam Singh. It was not a good idea to have such an open forum and Sikh Channel Management, all attending Jathebhandis and attending individuals need to collectively take ownership of that little tamasha. Once again, it is unfair to scapegoat Kam Singh.

PrabhKaSimran, Just to clarify Kam was not banned after the "Tent Fight" (where no one actually fought) as he came on the show, when it came back on air.

If it was decided that he was banned after that day, then please explain why the Sikh Channel did not BAN Kam earlier, why has the Sikh Channel started this spiteful attack on Kam only after the Ofcom report???

Why has the Sikh Channel removed there post from facebook slandering Kam Singh?

Is it because the Sikh Channel realised that this was a popular show and at the moment thay are asking for funds and this would not be in their interests to make more enemies? It is clear that the Sikh Channel quickly back tracked on there slander of Kam, as they have realised that this is causing them to loose support.

We do not want to get into a mud slinging contest with anyone.

We just wanted to clarify our stance on the whole matter, the Sikh Channel alienated an individual and blamed Kam Singh for "causing trouble."

If the Sikh Channel is fined for doing the Right Parchar...the Sikh Youth Project will go raise funds to help pay for the fine!

However, as far as we can make out from the report ofcom have concluded their reports and only 'rapped' Sikh Channel - and stated any further breech's could lead to further action.

ONE thing is for sure we cannot afford to loose ANY Sikh television stations, but this also comes down to the proper running of the Stations by the Management.

In this case, Sikh Channel are totally out of line, as their comments were made via a public social medium and made Kam Singh the scapegoat!!

Sikh Channel should have consulted with SYP or Kam or even the Sangat and told everybody that this was happening, we are sure the Sangat would have supported Sikh channel, just AS WE DID, when the news first Broke...please visit our facebook wall for more details regarding that.

We have not asked people not to support the Channel nor will we do that, but we will see what they have to say soon regarding their latest outburst.

Vaheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,

Vaheguru Ji Ki Fateh.