Sikh Priest Given £62K Settlement

Pyara

Being a granthi is a noble profession within the Sikh community in my opinion. Put aside the cynicism regarding those who see granthi-dom as a meal ticket or a way to get into the UK (or any other western country). Those who have immense knowledge of historical / religious aspects Sikhi and the role of Sikhi in the modern world should be respected and their sangat should be sought.

The dodgy or uncaring ones I have no time for.

I don't understand why there is so much negativity to do with this story. Yes the granthi had free food and accomodation, but these are bonuses. He should still still be paid at least minimum wage. These people are the pillars of our society. We don't mind Mr Singh who is a millionnaire lawyer, etc buying his 5th BMW but the local gianni who has free accomodation and food at the gurudwara does not deserve minimum wage. Most people who condemn them go the Gurudwara less than three times a week. It is very hard to be a good gianni actually. And we treat them like tramps because they are provided accomodation. How many on this forum feel they have what it takes to be a good Gianni, do you have enough knowledge and faith to be able to answer the most cleverly worded questions from scenics? Have you memorised all of the main Banis and competent at reading fluent Gurbani. Have excellent communication skills and able to articulate explanations of Bani. I know most of you feel the majority giannis are not good giannis, but the good giannis do not get praised because they understand to keep a low profile.

If there were clear rolling contracts between Gurudwara and Giannis signed on recruitment then firstly far fewer Giannis would be caught engaging in unSikh behaviour, and secondly a free competition would allow selection of the Gianni with the best credentials/education/degree/experience/character,etc. Currently many committees pick a pendu from india who they can treat as a slave and who himself is here for a passport.

In my view, I have much more respect for Granthis and Kirtanis then I do for the sleazy committee members of the Gurdwara. Most of the committee members are just good for nothings. Hardly any of them have a rehetvaan jeevan. When it comes to taking positions they are ready to even fight.

What type of parchaar do you expect if you exploit the granthi? those that are criticising would you quit your £20k+ job to do the granthis job?

didnt think so

Personally I think we should have fully qualified parcharaks who are both trained in terms of Santhiya etc and also degree level religious study and then pay them handsomely, I mean we have Naujawaans like Bhai Manvir Singh, wouldnt it be great if he could do parchaar full time 9-5