Sangat T.V. Hmm

SikhSpectrum

Whilst I agree with your points, the approach SangatTV have taken is quite different. They are not making ridiculous appeals for cash regularly, seemingly giving the European Sangat guilt trips to stop the channel closing down. I understand SangatTV generally rely on a few "rich" individuals to fund the channel, and their income and operating costs are therefore a lot lower. Given the income going in, the relative output isn't so bad (arguably, it's quite good!).

On the other hand, I understand Sikh Channel is getting donations of up to £50-60k/month. A massive sum, and whilst their quality of programs is better, this can only be expected. The issue is whether they should be extracting even more value out for the sangat, given their income from sangat donations?

The competition is a good thing. Previously, Sikh Channel wanted between £3,000-4,000 to do live broadcasts. Sangat TV's arrival saw Sangat TV capable of doing live broadcasts for £300. Mysteriously, Sikh Channel are now also able to do a live broadcast for about the same amount. Both channels are spurring each other to improve/do better. This is good, so long as they avoid having cat-fights, like they did a few months ago.

I'm also not seeking to have a dig at either channel, just trying to put things in perspective.

PS - about their EPG not being updated, I've actually complained in person to one of their lead Sevadaars of Sangat TV, but to no avail!!! Apparently, it can be quite expensive to get this updated, so this may be an area where they prefer to save on costs.

I understand SangatTV generally rely on a few "rich" individuals to fund the channel, and their income and operating costs are therefore a lot lower. Given the income going in, the relative output isn't so bad (arguably, it's quite good!).

I will be a bit wary on this, when a few individuals are involved in funding an organisation, the think-tank of those few individuals is the agenda of those organisation's rather than an organisation which is public funded, so it's agenda is public voice.

Same analogy apply here to SangatTV vs. SikhChannel. Although we see some good religious programmes from SangatTV, these are also aired from SikhChannel, however SikhChannel has a leading edge over some critical and core issues which Sikhs are facing in India since 1947 and particularly since 1980s. There are such wealthy resources having strong connection with strong economic power who want these core issues/opinion's not to be aired and discussed, hence creation of such a proxy channel (1 or more) is a very probable scenario and not a big cost for these resources.

I am just raising a possibility, not alleging anybody. Because SangatTV has never raised any call for Sangat money, which implies it has a constant pool of incoming huge resources, and since it is also not discussing any such core issues really forces me to think a bit more. However SikhChannel presenting LIVE programmes daily from Derby and loads during the week, discussing some very hot topics has a genuine call to Sangat for Daswandh to keep running the quality of good programmes which I really appreciate ...

NOTE :- SikhChannel's owner's/presentors/Director's blah blah blah is none of my Rishtedaar's and at some point in the past, I had some very critical opinion on some of their programme (even listed on this forum), but since then, they have shown they really don't have any connection or bias with any group in Punjab/India and raise independent voice of Sikh Sangat. They appreciate what is worth and hold a critical view of what is not ...

Generally, agree with the very valid points made. BUT, just because Jathedaar's are more prominent on Sangat TV, doesn't necessarily mean it is silent on '84 issues, pro-Badal Dal, etc. Although Sikh Channel may be more prominent in having '84 programmes, actually LAST NIGHT, there was an extremely informative discussion hosted by Ranjit Singh Rana (often - wrongly in my view - accused of being a Badal puppet) with Paramjit Singh Ghazi, President of AISSF. They openly discussed '84, and the current, seemingly nefarious nexus between Badal and Sant Samaj, and also the negative role of Badal in Panthic Veechar and progress. This has happened on other occasions too.

What I'm saying is, it's easy to make allegations that Sangat TV are pro-Indian govt/Badal, but the reality is very different. Although there may be some individuals that are secretly pro-Badal, the truth is often that things are often more black and white than people like to admit.

Chalo - Satgur Mehar Karan :)

• 1 month later...

The scroll is so pointless.

If they were professional, they would create promos for events, promos for asking for donations...

Lol, I still remember when they used to chat out of their backside saying they're the SIKH BBC lolll....

Sangat TV - get rid of the scrolls on a whole!

What are our kids supposed to concentrate? The programme of the irriating scroll?

FIX UP!

Why does everything have to be about competition between the 2 channels? To be honest there should be one channel that way it would be better funded. Sikh channel advertises the Auction House on one hand they say people should stay away from that then they advertise it, Sangat TV news is very bad its not even like a sikh news report too many repeats and not enough information.. Overall sikh channel is better due to the knowledge that it spreads better layout news is improving.. However you can see a bit of hindu related stuff going on in both channels...

both are beautiful - keep peace people we have never had no channels airing Gurbani in the past - at least we now have something - do you know that some mona people have taken amrit by the influence these channels have had in their recent history?

support both - don;t worry about scrolls they'll get sorted over time -

while there negative points for both channels - so far the positive points are in favour heavily. keep it up both channels great work-