Family - Dhari - Dharam & Me

PranaamShaheedaNu

• 1 year later...
Guest SinghSoorma

I think you should do what you think is right and let everyone else say what they want. I know it is probably hard because they are your family, but you have to decide what you think is best for yourself.

Guest singh

What kind of 'kshatri ka poot' makes such a compromise to tie his beard? For a khalsa this is unthinkable. Tunni munni ek barabar.

BHAI saab you might have more knowledge about religion than I do but let me tell you that all the Sikhs in this world are not Jathedaars. They do professional jobs and in some jobs its hazardous to have open beard. Think some sense before you come up with such irresponsible phrases.

veerji this is echoing exactly what I went through about 5 years ago.

my parents and close family used to joke about my kesh, and I was so close to giving up and just cutting my beard and also my hair! but the True Guru, the King of all the worlds, the Ruler of the Universe, protector of the weak, blessed me with the power to keep my kesh. I made a decision that I would never turn my back on Guru Ji or the Shaheeds of the panth who died because of these kesh, i was only being joked about, what about those who were sawn in half? boiled alive?

Everyone said I would not get a job, I was in my 2nd year at uni so I had to face alot of looks and questions from alot of people including friends etc. My parents said I would never get a job, I live in the north, in a city where there is hardly any asians. But trust me, if you have faith in Guru Ji, and work hard, then all hurdles can be overcome. Never forget our Guru is the King of Kings, he is the light which will save us in Kaljug, cutting your beard is like jumping back into the pit.

When I stuck to my decision and worked on my sikhi, after my final year, we had a recession in the UK and no one could get jobs so for 6 months I faced further rants from my parents saying I would never get a job. During this time I focused on my Nitnem, and banis and kirtan and seva at the Gurdwara. With the Grace of the True Guru, I was was accepted for a really really good job (1 out of 200 applicants), while most of my mates from uni to this day are looking for work.

In the meantime, my parents had got to accept that the beard was going to stay, and as my brother and I were going to Gurdwara alot, my family would sometimes go along to programs too, listening to Bani, playing it at home my family without knowing it got used to the idea. Slowly and slowly the Lord glanced his Grace and a few years later my parents took Amrit!!, then a year later my dads brothers family took amrit too!

No one who knows my family could belive this would happen as my Dads family were into drinking and eating nearly every living thing! Now my parents do so much seva at the Gurdwara and read so much bani, always awake at Amritvela. They have changed so much! It took a long time, and your journey may not turn out like mine, but what I am trying to say is that you must always follow the Gurus wisdom, if you give your Head to Guru ji and follow his hukam then Maharaj will solve your affairs and not only your affairs of getting a job but also the affairs of all the paap from all the past lives. Our Lord and Saviour will save us and liberate us and free us from all attachments and remove our ego so we can merge back into the light we have been seperated from for so long.

Never give up, not only is the Ardas of every Sikh with you, but you have been blessed to have the guidance of the true Master, Dhan Siri Guru Granth Sahib ji, you are already blessed, you have been given a choice to walk a path which very few have the opportunity to walk. Hold your head high and never doubt the Guru, live in the Hukam and no matter how hard life gets see it as a blessing, always keep your rehit. Keep your head down, dont look around at others, join the holy Sangat, serve the Gurus sangat and only ask for Naam di daat. Take the Amrit from the five Singhs and join the army of the Khalsa, become immortal and serve the Lord and his creation for all time.

waheguru

Guest missk

I'm just going to write from a different perspective since I'm not an amritdhari (as yet at least), your parent's are speaking from pre-conceived notions that have been set by someone else standards. That's why they're scared of all that can happen if you keep a beard. If 90% of the population had beards they'd say the opposite. So their opinions are based on fear and not Sikhi.

I wouldn't listen to them if I were you (no disrespect to them), but that's just slave mentality.

this journey your taking which is amazing (well done) is between You and Waheguru Alone... I know you need inspiration but seriously when it comes down to it people aren't the ones to go to, Just stick to God, Hes your inspiration and obviously our Gururs.

Great One for going on this Sikhi Path though :respect: :respect: