University And Weirdos

Guest GuptKaur

mmm, lets look closely at this.

lust : humans yes, animals , no. Humans are affected by lust. Animals have a natural cycle for reproduction that doesnt involve lust.

intoxications : humans yes, animals, no. i havent heard of any animals that get intoxicated.

eating corpses: humans yes, animals, yes.

dont look after thier bodies: humans yes and no, animals, yes, they have an instinct to clean themselves and dont get their fur cut for nothing.

so, really you are advising bhenji to act more like an animal, yes?

Woah!! Just because Singhstah implied that humans don't eat meat, you go to the extent of comparing animals and humans, then implying at the end animals are better than humans. That is very fantatical thing to do. Gurbani simply classifies animals lower and considers people to be animals when they live by animal means. This does not make humans worse, but a selected few humans worse than animals, who act like animals. Also Singhstah was speaking about a specific human, but you went off on something Singhstah didn't even say. If he didn't give a description of the type of human he was talking about then maybe you would have merit here, but now it makes no sense. Also Sants have very clearly said that eating meat lowers a person's jeevan and this is also accept by those Singhs that eat jhatka. I think both sides of the meat argument need to stop through mud at each other. It's a waste of time and lowers the jeevan of a person. Both sides need a cup of cold water.

"As you said above about detachment. People talk as if it is easy. Detachment is the avastha of a bramgyani. We should aim for this, but not talk as if it is something we can easily do"

Yes detachment is easy, one who stays in Naam i.e the All pervading balanced gyan of truth is detaching from the khel- Gurbani stresses the importance and priceless nature of Naam on just about every page for a reason..

Guest GuptKaur

Thanks so much guys! I can't express how much most of these comments have helped me!!

I was just in the kitchen and the guy in question walked in... he gave an awkward, not knowing what to do mini smile (more like a mouth twitch), I just maintained eye contact with my arms crossed in silence. It was awkward, but at least he knew that Im not going to be taken for a little [you know].

Ive realised that confidence is key. I will usually speak up when I feel I should, but I don't really appear as confident as I should - too friendly and easy to take advantage of if anything- but that's got to stop. I have no reason not to be confident if my Guru is by my side. :)

Thank you again sangat ji, I would still be hiding in my room if I hadn't received some sort of support and encouragement. Dhan Guroo Pyare!

Guest truthteller

I wouldnt advise Sikh females to live out it lessens your chances of finding suitable match for marriage as we all know the temptations out there when you dont have family to influence your behaviour your free to engage with all manor of vices thus no decent guy will want tainted goods for a long term partner short term tainted goods are everywhere. And a guy will get with you telling you he wants marriage but his real intentions are often very different if you have not kept your virginity.

Guest Bhaji Singh

Vjkk vjkf, Which university do you attend? contact the sikh soc and get some singhs or singhnia to support you. Contact Boss or Sikh Helpline who can then direct you to correct support mechanisms and give you a bit more practical help. I feel burnt that people think they can get away with disrespecting our sisters. These sorts of organisations can maybe help introduce you to gursikh sangat at the university who can support you through many battles faced in university life. Do not accept or feel that you need to accept any of the behaviour. I know singhnia that went to the university i attended and they all moved in together and regularly did sangat, simran and baani together. It is essential at uni that you find a gursikh as strength from pressure's from society can only come from sangat.

I strongly recommend some sort of sikh organisation as university can throw some very strong challenges at you. The best one is to contact Kaur-nect, where you can remain anonymous and get advice from. http://www.kaurageous.com/kaurnect

reply on here please for any queries.

I wouldnt advise Sikh females to live out it lessens your chances of finding suitable match for marriage as we all know the temptations out there when you dont have family to influence your behaviour your free to engage with all manor of vices thus no decent guy will want tainted goods for a long term partner short term tainted goods are everywhere. And a guy will get with you telling you he wants marriage but his real intentions are often very different if you have not kept your virginity.

Er excuse me, don't talk about women as though we are possessions. We are not anyones "goods", we are people.

Er excuse me, don't talk about women as though we are possessions. We are not anyones "goods", we are people.

GOODS?! hai hai. Respect for women at it's best! *sigh*

I'm with this poster. Who cares what the guy wants? We don't give into temptations because our guru ji tells us not to. Not because we might become "tainted goods" and wont find a husband.

Attachment is a vice and gurbani says the household is the darkest hell, family is usually our greatest darkest attachment hence staying out could prove beneficial.

Yes women should not be referred to as goods even if its just a play on words, it does sound pretty bad,

"I'm with this poster. Who cares what the guy wants? We don't give into temptations because our guru ji tells us not to. Not because we might become "tainted goods" and wont find a husband. "

^^Right on sister, you tell them- we are here to please noone but God himself- guys and their opinions can take a hike! :)

Guest Naam Jap

Yes detachment is easy, one who stays in Naam i.e the All pervading balanced gyan of truth is detaching from the khel- Gurbani stresses the importance and priceless nature of Naam on just about every page for a reason..

VeerJi/BhenJi...

From what i gather, you are implying it is easy for on to jap Naam athey pehr? From experience, It is very very difficult. If you belive it is 'easy' then there would be many Saint, Many people would be saved, total detatchment is that as being like Bhagat Kabir Ji. Naam is the highest trutth and we must meditate upon it to become detached. But it takes many many years and even lifetimes to become detatched, once detached then the charasi lakh joon are over..so therefore to state it as easy isn't true from my own viewpoint.