What'S Wrong With Badal?

singh135

Well personally, I dont think that Badal is is anti-panthic in the way that is being alleged by some. I think that he is in the power game and is playing survivalist politics in the dirty jungle that is Indian politics. He knows that the Sikh vote in Punjab is not big enough to keep the Akalis in power, hence he has to make alliances with the BJP, the dodgey deras and cults, and keep the large number of Hindus and non-Sikhs in Punjab happy at the same time.

After reading your first sentence, its very obvious you didn't even watch the video I presented on human right violations still taking place in punjab today. This shows how much you care to actually get some facts on Badal and his human right violations. Also this video presents how Badal has made Azhar Alam apart of Akali Dal and a candidate for his Akali Dal party. Azhar Alam was a punjab police officer, who used to go out and illegally kill people with a group he created. The references are all there in the video, if your mind still wants to accept Badal as not anti-panthic as some allege. Before going further, let's remind ourselves that Sikhi teachings are universal and human rights are universal laws that Sikhi teaches. A Christian, Jew, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, etc that believes in human rights will not put up Azhar Alam or similar people, who committed vast human right violations as a candidate for their party. Do you need to be Panthic to hold human rights violators accountable and out of positions that will allow Azhar Alam to commit the same mass violations once again? I hope you answer no here, otherwise Christains and the rest will be considered by you to be inhumane. Now look at Badal in the same sense as the Christains, jews, etc regarding human rights issues. Is Badal a human to put up the canadidate Azhar Alam in his Akali Dal party, who commited mass human right violations? The answer here would have to be no, sense human rights is a global human issue and not just a Panthic issue. To be Panthic (accept all teachings of Sikhi) is different from being human (who does not accept all Sikhi teachings, but accepts human right laws) and Badal cannot even be identified as to being human because he doesn't accept human right laws. So then how can Badal be Panthic in any shape or form? You can't put a dastar and the 5 kakkar on a vulture and call it Panthic. Neither can you put shoes, clothing and a hat on a vulture and call it human.

Well personally, I dont think that Badal is is anti-panthic in the way that is being alleged by some. I think that he is in the power game and is playing survivalist politics in the dirty jungle that is Indian politics. He knows that the Sikh vote in Punjab is not big enough to keep the Akalis in power, hence he has to make alliances with the BJP, the dodgey deras and cults, and keep the large number of Hindus and non-Sikhs in Punjab happy at the same time.

Regarding his attitude towards Sikhs, yes he is harsh, corrupt and power hungry, like all other Indian politicians. However, lets face it, we as a Sikh Community are a very difficult community to rule... everybody wants to be a leader and rule over their own piece of turf. Every jathebandi wants to be in charge of the Akal Takhat and have its control over the SGPC, so that its own version of Sikhi can be preached. We are also a very volatile community. We moan alot and we are ready to chop people up at the slightest insult. We have a habit of picking fights that we cant win, which result in more self sabotage that actually having any positive impact.

Anyone who is going to rule over us Sikhs... well good luck to them. They will need to use a mixture of carrot and stick. Form alliances, buy loyalty, make compromises and come down mercilessly on the opposition. We have a rose tinted view of history.... Anyone who thinks that Maharajah Ranjit Singh did not do the same, needs to go back to the history books and actually have a closer look as to how he created his empire and came close to uniting the all the Sikhs (he could not conquer the Sikh territories south of the Sutlej).

I am not saying that Badal is good. However, I think that allegations that he is actively trying to destroy the Panth are far fetched. Some of this comes down to would you be prefer to be ruled by a corrupt Sikh party or a corrupt non-Sikh party? I think Id take the corrupt Sikh party.

Badal directly controls the SGPC.. the policy makers for Sikhs around the world. The SGPC is making decisions that are anti-panthic. Badal is supporting anti-Sikh preachers (Noormehl, Chuta Sauda, Naamdhari, etc.) as well as the perpetrators of human rights abuses such as K.P Gill and Izhar Alam, not by just allowing them to walk free, but by giving them positions in politics. The 2008 protests in Ludhiana agains the admittance of Noormehal pakhandi into Punjab by Badal's governement, a person who did great nindiya of Sikhi, were stopped with extreme police brutality, resulting in the death of one individual. The police did not even let people take the wounded from the street to hospital. Is Badal not responcible for that anti-panthic episode?

Pedorizzo, I also implore you to watch that video if you have not already done so. All human rights abuses covered in that video are from 2010-2011, during the reign of Badal. Allowance of human rights abuses and impunity for perpretrators is cultivated by Parkash Badal.. and thats immensely anti-panthic.

I'd rather take a non-corrupt Sikh party.

Maybe when the people rise up that might be a reality.

Just like other classical Indian politician, Badal is no good. The only damaging part that i see by him and his kaka badal is that they control SGPC and using our institutions for their own political gains. However, keep in mind that all SGPC members are elected officials not dictatorially posted. So in the end the blame is not only on him but on our community who elected such people again and again.

Whether it's congress or akali or bjp; they all are same type of people. They don't have any religion; they are willing to sell everything just to get votes.

Again, where are the facts. We need to store news articles, interviews, clips and so on in order to support our claims. Just like it mentioned in above post that "The SGPC is making decisions that are anti-panthic." Now, how can we backup this claim.

Just like other classical Indian politician, Badal is no good. The only damaging part that i see by him and his kaka badal is that they control SGPC and using our institutions for their own political gains. However, keep in mind that all SGPC members are elected officials not dictatorially posted. So in the end the blame is not only on him but on our community who elected such people again and again.

Whether it's congress or akali or bjp; they all are same type of people. They don't have any religion; they are willing to sell everything just to get votes.

Again, where are the facts. We need to store news articles, interviews, clips and so on in order to support our claims. Just like it mentioned in above post that "The SGPC is making decisions that are anti-panthic." Now, how can we backup this claim.

We could blame our own community for electing the same people for SGPC, if there was no corruption in these elections. But soon as the elections come, the liquor is supplied and fake Sikhs are given the right to vote and the Sikhs completely oppressed in the elections. Also any Panthic Singhs that have spoken up from positions that they use Gurmat practices to handle Skh issues, then Badal by force makes that person leave the position. Neither can we say all of the decisions that come from Sri Akal Takht Sahib are not influenced by Badal. This award, Fakhr E Quam, Badal has been given is obvious not the decision of Sri Akal Takht, which gets its decision from Sikh history and Gurbani. The Jathedar is representing Sri Akal Takht Sahib, but in this decision any person who knows about Sikhi can see this is dirty politics at play here.

Totally agree. SGPC is a bureaucratic org and probably a money making scheme for few individuals. They are highly corrupted ppl who award contracts for personal kickbacks. Huge financial wrongdoings in their paperwork and if they ever get audited from outside sources; the losses/misuse fund would be in hundreds of crores. SGPC elections = Sham + Liquor + drugs etc.. i heard same from dozen different ppl but again the point is "where is the proof?" There are some 170 members fighting for SGPC seats and probably more than dozen polling stations; now surely someone can easily record any illegal happening during those days (much easier as everyone in punjab owns better mobile phones than we do)..

We can write hundreds of pages of what badal do against sikhi but sadly without proof that might not convince any individual party.

Sometime i think that we become a huge joke as even with proof, our people couldn't do anything or take action against certain individuals. Proof were gathered and showed to whole world by few singhs regarding Sarna camp; where he allows anti-gurmat marriages to take place on our historical gurdwaras where meat, sharab and cigarettes (workers) were allowed.

The OP of this thread wants evidence for why Badal is hated by majority of the Sikhs. To such request, a person can ask, how much proof do you want? Isn't one persons death at the hands of Badal enough to recognize he is bad for the Khalsa Panth and humanity in general? But for the Sikh community this is not enough. They want mass murders by Badal to take place before they would call him bad and even then the Sikh community will hestitate and there will still be much of the Sikh community that will say no hes still good. Also the Sikh community is very easy to fool. Badal does one thing for the Panth, which is stirred up with dirty politics and everyone forgets about the mass murders that have been going on for decades and still going on. If the Sikh communit was a judge then every mass murder in every countries jail would just have to say Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji ki Fateh and they would say look hes a changed person so let him off his punishment. It's pathetic.

I'm not knocking down the OP here for asking for evidence as its only productive to ask for evidence, but it has gone to the point where evidence is not accept as evidence and falsehood is the new truth.

Sarna is guilty of committing beadbi, but who will punish him? The job is of Sri Akal Takht Sahib to handle issues of beadbi, but these jathedars are oppressed by Badal and can't do anything. The root of the problem is that Sri Akal Takht Sahib is held captive by Badal.

The reason of having good backup points or proof is not because we lack trust but only to wake up sleepy sikhs of punjab. The sole point is that having proof does good in general and applies to all kind of people. You, me and others here are well aware of ongoings in our community because we are very active in our social/religious issues/politics etc. I can say that forums members take great interest in such matters but sadly not all people feel that way. Majority of sikhs do not care about what badal is or what is happening to their kaum because in general truth is always hidden. These majorities are neither interested to find out the truth nor they will take any step to become active. To wake them up, we need strong proofs or backup so that we can tell them straight that this is going on instead of wasting time doing debating/arguing back and forth.

I found this writeup from a singh on another forum and he got many good points:

All Khalsa (including me) should be tyar bar tyar. All Khalsa should be Sant Sipahis. Unfortunately the SGPC is a democracy and in a democracy the leaders will only reflect the people. The leaders are of the people and from the people. The reason why Badal and the Jathadars are so corrupt is because that is how the average Sikh is today. The change needs to begin from amongst the masses. Only then can the masses bring about change. We as religious minded Sikhs need to do our best in doing parchar to the masses. Today most Sikhs are so corrupt and also Patit. Far from being Gursikhs. - rsingh (taken from gurmatbibek.com forum)

I like your post S1NGH bhaji (and also the quote you make). Sikhs need to be activists in all spheres of life. Khalsa, in promoting a sant-sipahi way of life, promotes justice, honesty and integrity. Whether this be in UK, Canada, USA or India. Khalsa are revolutionaries. However, most "religious" Sikhs are too apathetic today to voice against injustice. We need to change this and engage with the world. But before doing this, we really need to get our house (our institutions) in order first!

Some posters have stated that Badal should not be blamed, but rather the dirty Indian political system. Don't hate the player, hate the game? If this is the case, then we shouldn't award such titles to any politician. We cannot excuse wrongdoings just because it is the nature of a person's work. That doesn't make it okay.

Doesn't anyone remember how Badal rigged the SGPC elections? How he registered moneh, and non-Sikhs from his villiage to vote? That is the highest form of sacrilege. Also, he is too cozy with the BJP. Remember how they made the Akal Takht change the Nanakshahi calender to fit with the Hindu Vedic calender? He even invited Advani, who praised Operation Bluestar, to Amritsar to hold a rally. When Sikhs protested, they were beaten and their turbans removed. Does this entitle him to Fakhr-e-Quam?

Regarding his attitude towards Sikhs, yes he is harsh, corrupt and power hungry, like all other Indian politicians. However, lets face it, we as a Sikh Community are a very difficult community to rule... everybody wants to be a leader and rule over their own piece of turf. Every jathebandi wants to be in charge of the Akal Takhat and have its control over the SGPC, so that its own version of Sikhi can be preached. We are also a very volatile community. We moan alot and we are ready to chop people up at the slightest insult. We have a habit of picking fights that we cant win, which result in more self sabotage that actually having any positive impact.

Anyone who is going to rule over us Sikhs... well good luck to them. They will need to use a mixture of carrot and stick. Form alliances, buy loyalty, make compromises and come down mercilessly on the opposition. We have a rose tinted view of history.... Anyone who thinks that Maharajah Ranjit Singh did not do the same, needs to go back to the history books and actually have a closer look as to how he created his empire and came close to uniting the all the Sikhs (he could not conquer the Sikh territories south of the Sutlej).

I am not saying that Badal is good. However, I think that allegations that he is actively trying to destroy the Panth are far fetched. Some of this comes down to would you be prefer to be ruled by a corrupt Sikh party or a corrupt non-Sikh party? I think Id take the corrupt Sikh party.

HI Just wanted to read the point where Mahrajah Ranjit singh could not conquer south of sutlej? i was under the impression he wanted to keep his kingdom strong and entacted and thus did not venture south ?