Why Are Sikhs Hypocrites?

steelman

When Prof Darshan Singh was excommunicated, many members on here were saying that the Akal Takht hukam is final and everybody should abide by the decision. Those who criticised the Akal Takht decision were lambasted.

Now the Akal Takht has decided to give an award to Badal. So why not accept the decision gracefully instead of criticising the Akal Takht?

Hypocrites?

There's a difference between a jathedar giving an award and the panth excommunicating a gaddar like darshan through Hukamnama

Both are gaddaars, but the jathedars are either paid off by badal or pay badal off.They had to excommunicate darsh because Singhs presented daunting evidence that he was intentionally misleading sangat.

Just look what he's continuing to do, he and his jatha of thugs are still trying to cause needless tension.

So basically, we should only accept the Akal Takht decisions if we agree with them?

An Akal Takht decision is an Akal Takht decision, one cannot pick and choose, or can they?

Does this mean that the supporters of Prod Darshan Singh are entitled to disregard the Akal Takht decision?

So basically, we should only accept the Akal Takht decisions if we agree with them?

An Akal Takht decision is an Akal Takht decision, one cannot pick and choose, or can they?

Does this mean that the supporters of Prod Darshan Singh are entitled to disregard the Akal Takht decision?

Well, unless i'm mistaken, it's not the Akaal Takht hukamnama to give Badal an honor, it's specifically the jathedars agreeing to it.

We have to respect it if It's a hukamnama from Akaal Takht Sahib, though (which i'm confident it isn't and can't be). Sant Jarnail Singh was barred from bringing Shaster to matha tek, something that goes against the hukam of Guru Sahib of keeping shaster all the time so Sant Jarnail Singh obeyed and matha teked from outside.

The proper means to address this is to understand how the SGPC and jathedars get put into these positions. Follow the money and you shall know. I don't know myself other than the basics.

As for Darshan, the reasons behind excommunication can be confirmed. There's al ot of material out there, if you need it just do a simple google search or SikhSangat search. It's incorrect to say Sikhs are hypocrites.

Yes alot of Sikhs are hypocrites. The original poster is correct in pointing out that people pick and choose which Akal Takhat desicions they support and which they do not. Alot of this comes down to if the desicion is in keeping with their own views and preferences, and the views and preferences of the jathebandi with which they are involved. However, politics is not the only part of life in which most people pick and choose, most people pick and choose in their practice of Sikhi. How many Sikhs wear the panj kakkar but dont do their nitnem in the morning? How many Sikhs do loads of paath and sewa but dont keep their kesh? And not to mention, how many Sikhs wear full bana, do nitnem and sewa but carry a huge ego, look down on people in judgement and show aggression and violence against those they disagree with?

My point is nonone is perfect, most just pick and choose what part of Sikhi they want to follow whether they admit it or not, and most will follow/disregard the Akal Takhat's authority according to if it suits them or not. I prefer to live and let live to be honest.

People just need to face up to the fact that the Akal Takaht has been corrupted much like Guru Amar Das ji's masand system was. The only question is whether it can be reversed or whether we need to boycott it, like dasmesh pita ji made us do with masands when they become incorrigible. Maybe we haven't reached the boycott stage, but we still need to think about it, incase no change happens and Badal (or any one else) turns it into their personal family throne.

The problem is that many Sikhs are waiting for a leader to emerge who will lead us towards the Promised Land and resolve issues such as these. Now I won't enter the debate as to whether such an event will happen (personally I hope it does) but for the here and now if we keep looking at each other to take "that" step then nothing will happen at all. We need to take responsibility for own actions as Sikhs and then band together in order to make progress. If we continue to wait for a heavenly herald to send us a signal I think it might be too late for us.

But its tough. How do you approach the situation? Do you approach the issue from a completely spiritual viewpoint OR do you allow your decisions to be formed by a certain amount of politics & statesmanship (in a good way) and non-theistic action?

The problem is that many Sikhs are waiting for a leader to emerge who will lead us towards the Promised Land and resolve issues such as these. Now I won't enter the debate as to whether such an event will happen (personally I hope it does) but for the here and now if we keep looking at each other to take "that" step then nothing will happen at all. We need to take responsibility for own actions as Sikhs and then band together in order to make progress. If we continue to wait for a heavenly herald to send us a signal I think it might be too late for us.

But its tough. How do you approach the situation? Do you approach the issue from a completely spiritual viewpoint OR do you allow your decisions to be formed by a certain amount of politics & statesmanship (in a good way) and non-theistic action?

Alot of Sikhs, and alot of Indians for that matter seem to believe that a great spiritual leader will come to Earth and save them and solve all of their problems. From my understanding this is actually contrary to Sikh teachings anyway. Guru Gobind Singh ji saw the Kirpan (sword) to be the greatest of miracles as it was a symbol of direct action by which an individual or nation can determine its own destiny.

If you look at how Sikh power emerged in the 17th Century, it was largely opportunistic in nature. The Mughal empire cracked and crumbled so the Sikhs slowly filled the gaps. Then you have Maharajah Ranjit Singh, who, in reality, was nothing more than a highly intelligent and ambitious Sardar of one of the Sikh Misls who basically conquered over the territory of the other Misls using a mixture of violence, diplomacy and bribes... some people loved him and others cursed him, however, everyone had to bow down to his superiority... he became top dog.

Hence, if a great Sikh leader does emerge, I believe that one is more likely going to have to fight their way to the top and crush the opposition. The second way that a leader could emerge is by being outspoken and capturing the imagination of the public in some way. However, this kind of leader would need the right timing and right environment in which to emerge.

In this day and age, if a leader like Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale was to emerge, it is probable that most people wouldnt listen to him because most Sikhs dont seem to believe that Sikhi is under threat enough. For example, If you take a look at someone like Baljit Singh Daduwal, he uses a similar style of rhetoric that Jarnail Singh used to use but who listens to him? Not many people to be honest.

However, if things got really bad in Punjab, or more importantly, they were perceived to get really bad in Punjab amongst the mass populace, its quite possible that people would flock to someone like him and listen to what he had to say.

Alot of Sikhs, and alot of Indians for that matter seem to believe that a great spiritual leader will come to Earth and save them and solve all of their problems. From my understanding this is actually contrary to Sikh teachings anyway. Guru Gobind Singh ji saw the Kirpan (sword) to be the greatest of miracles as it was a symbol of direct action by which an individual or nation can determine its own destiny.

If you look at how Sikh power emerged in the 17th Century, it was largely opportunistic in nature. The Mughal empire cracked and crumbled so the Sikhs slowly filled the gaps. Then you have Maharajah Ranjit Singh, who, in reality, was nothing more than a highly intelligent and ambitious Sardar of one of the Sikh Misls who basically conquered over the territory of the other Misls using a mixture of violence, diplomacy and bribes... some people loved him and others cursed him, however, everyone had to bow down to his superiority... he became top dog.

Hence, if a great Sikh leader does emerge, I believe that one is more likely going to have to fight their way to the top and crush the opposition. The second way that a leader could emerge is by being outspoken and capturing the imagination of the public in some way. However, this kind of leader would need the right timing and right environment in which to emerge.

In this day and age, if a leader like Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale was to emerge, it is probable that most people wouldnt listen to him because most Sikhs dont seem to believe that Sikhi is under threat enough. For example, If you take a look at someone like Baljit Singh Daduwal, he uses a similar style of rhetoric that Jarnail Singh used to use but who listens to him? Not many people to be honest.

However, if things got really bad in Punjab, or more importantly, they were perceived to get really bad in Punjab amongst the mass populace, its quite possible that people would flock to someone like him and listen to what he had to say.

U r mistaken first a sikh can never be hypocrite sikh is the the very swaroop of Akalpurarkh secondly Badal never comes under the definition of sikh he has become nonsikh by his actions. Sikh ethics and Rehat MARYADA IS SUPREME THAN ANY JATHEDAR EVEN GURUS CONSISDERS REHAT MARYADA HIGHER THAN THEMSELVES.U r again wrong when u says none will care about Sant Bhindrawale go and see ur self people buys his posters,stickers etc but not of any other socalled sikh leader.See the gathering of sikh youth in ludhiana court in favour of Bhai Jagtar Singh HAwara u will get better answer.It is hoodlum mafia,drug mafia or land mafia on WHICH is responsible for existence of fake Akali dal of badal.

U r mistaken first a sikh can never be hypocrite sikh is the the very swaroop of Akalpurarkh secondly Badal never comes under the definition of sikh he has become nonsikh by his actions. Sikh ethics and Rehat MARYADA IS SUPREME THAN ANY JATHEDAR EVEN GURUS CONSISDERS REHAT MARYADA HIGHER THAN THEMSELVES.U r again wrong when u says none will care about Sant Bhindrawale go and see ur self people buys his posters,stickers etc but not of any other socalled sikh leader.See the gathering of sikh youth in ludhiana court in favour of Bhai Jagtar Singh HAwara u will get better answer.It is hoodlum mafia,drug mafia or land mafia on WHICH is responsible for existence of fake Akali dal of badal.

Sorry dude.... dont agree with you there... everything you said sounds pretty idealistic and disconnected to the real world to be honest. Still fair enough, thats your opinion