Why Are There So Many Religions - Why Not One From The Start

gurdssingh

I have touched upon this before never got an answer, but to make it short, why did god not create just one religion from the begining of mankind?

Surely Waheguru knew man whould change through the yugs get more evil etc.so why not one religion from the start which the whole wide world follows?

As you tend to get religions centered around specific geograhpic areas i.e. Sikhi. Or missionaries like christians and Islam who convert (try) the world

As many world religion contradict others and what about extinct relgions such as Greek and Roman as we still now alittle about them.

According to Dasam Granth Sahib (in particular Bachittar Natak I think), before Akal Purakh sent Dusht Daman (Guru Gobind Singh Ji) to this world, this issue was discussed. From what I remember Akal Purakh told Dusht Daman Ji that every prophet he'd sent to propagate his name prior to Guru Nanak Sahib Ji had become obsessed with their own self-importance, and more concerned with their own worship than trying to connect the people to God.

That's what I remember hearing ages ago so I apologise if some of the details are sketchy or incorrect.

In that case would it be correct in assuming that God did not really intend for man to create - what we define as - a 'religion' but rather a nondescript path without prejudice or boundaries? I guess that would be pretty difficult considering that religions are defined by the areas in which they originate. I guess Christianity is possibly the one faith that has "broken out" from it's Middle Eastern origins. I mean you've got old ladies in English villages following a prophet who was reportedly more brown than he was white, and certainly nothing like the blonde haired and blue eyed version of Jesus that Europe (historically) co-opted.

EDIT: Of course Islam has spread to places as far as Africa through conquests, etc., (as did Christianity due to missionary work). The spread of Islam to Europe and beyond is due to migration of course.

Jsingz, it was told we should learn all other religions first then come to our own to finally understand. You can be a Muslim and still follow Sahib Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

The answer to all your questions gurdsingh are in jap Ji sahib. If you go to gurbaniupdesh.org you can listen to Giani Thakur singhs katha on jap Ji an I guarantee you will find your answers, the question you asked here is exactly what the sidhs of india asked Guru Nanak Ji mahraaj and jap Ji sahib was the answer.

Yes but waheguru is all knowing, this would have been anticipated so why not send a prohpet who would not go astray?

I guess its the old chestnut "free will".

Although I personally think it would be more accurate to say the prophet's followers are responsible for the excessive worship of their prophet - particularly once the relevant messenger had passed away - rather than the prophet setting himself up as a God-substitute.

Did Jesus or Mohammed ever say "Worship me for I am God"? I don't know although I remember reading that Vishnu began referring to himself as the One Primordial Force or something similar.

Can you concentrate on learning about your own religion as you had stated earlier.

Consider yourself lucky to be born into the best religion in this world, Sikhism.

Do not waste your energy on useless questions.

OK

Please explain why it is a useless question?

It's a very valid question to do with religion. I'm asking why is there various religions with different practices when we all know Ik Onkar, so If only one almighty why so many paths which have contradicting practices and rituals, ways of living? Surely it should have been one true religion from the start, OR are only a few select few lucky enough to be born into the faith or hear of it?

This is quite an interesting question, my personal opinion on this would be maybe god wanted to create separate religions so that people can learn the concept of god in different ways, and in some cases certain religions like Hinduism do not focus upon one god. Yet each religion relate to each other and do have certain similarities. If there was one religion in the world

It would be very hard for everyone to focus as each and everyone of us have different views which might have an impact.. ultimately there is one universal creator but we have different religions but each and everyone of them sing waheguru, Allah, etc. Everyone is from the one creator but different people follow their religion to get to the one creator be it Sikhism, Hinduism, Islam etc. For example religion brings out good in a person it gives them guidelines and rules to obey by. Having a number of religions is not a bad thing as certain people can find out god in a different light. It doesn't mean that the teachings in other religions are correct as we do have some differences huge in Sikhism I think overall those religions are an illusion because they focus too much on rituals which Guru Nanak Dev Ji already told us it's meaningless nothing in rituals. You want to reach god reach te creator on the true path and not by illusions because everything that is created is created by a purpose...