Kuldip Singh

----- Original Message -----

To: kgujral@sky.com

Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 9:26 PM

Subject: Sikh Man Stabbed at Fresno airport. Sikh Community in deep Shock

Winner of the Sikhs and Charities Award

December 09, 2011

25th Maghar (Samvat 543 Nanakshahi)

Community UpdateHaving trouble viewing this email? View it on our website.

Sikh Man Stabbed at Fresno airport. Sikh Community in deep Shock

Anup Singh, ex-SGPC(Sikh Parliament) prachark (preacher) stabbed at Fresno airport. His appearance as a Sikh was a key factor in making him a a target.

UNITED SIKHS is working with the authorities to make sure that justice prevails

The assailant has been arrested and not charged with hatecrime

8th Dec 2011, Fresno, California: A 56 year old Sikh preacher, S. Anup Singh  was attacked by a 26-year-old white man named Mitchell Dufur at the Fresno airport earlier this week.  This terrifying incident has left the Sikh community in a shock.  According to the Fresno Police Department, a 56-year old Sikh man from India was seated near the Transportation Security Administration terminal waiting to board his plane when he was stabbed. There was no communication between the victim and the assailant. The Sikh traveller suffered a minor cut to his upper torso, and was treated at the airport prior to resuming his journey back to UK.

UNITED SIKHS team spoke to a Fresno resident Bakhtawar Singh, an eyewitness to this fearsome incident who had gone to drop the victim, Anup Singh. Bhaktawar Singh said, “This young man came forward and lunged at Bhai Saheb, who donned an open flowing beard and hit him with a knife just below the collar bone.  Few minutes before the incident, I saw him going towards his bag and taking something out but I didn’t know that he was going to stab. I don’t sport a full flowing beard and don't look like the images being flashed on TV screens and this  may be the reason that I was spared”.

Meanwhile, the medical doctors arrived and Anup Singh Ji was bandaged and he chose to travel to his country, the United Kingdom. According to sources, the assailant has not admitted to any charges and motives for this act as yet and has been charged with minor clauses – 1. Carrying weapon at the airport and  2. Assault with weapon. This will allow him to elude from any major punishment for this very heinous crime.     

UNITED SIKHS has contacted the local authorities and also elevated this incident at the federal level and will work with them to make sure that justice prevails. Kashmir Singh, Director of UNITED SIKHS, said, “We are in touch with  Anup Singh and understand that he was in a state of shock and thanks god who protected him from this not taking a turn that would have cost him his life."

Anup Singh also said, “I saw hatred in the assailant's eyes. I urge all Sikhs while travelling to or out of the United States to be careful and alert as this incident has literally shocked all of us. Clearly one can see as to why I was the prime target and no one else around me and it is primarily because of my appearance.  Donning our Kakkars ( Sikh articles of faith) is our birth right. Its a shame that even today within the United States hatred and prejudice are still prevalent and their casualties are innocent people"

Earlier this year, two elderly Sikh men were gunned down in suburban Sacramento on March 4, Surinder Singh, 65, and Gurtej Atwal, 78 when they were walking through a neighbourhood in Elk Grove. Police are investigating the fatal shooting as a possible hate crime potentially linked to the men’s appearance. Both men wore turbans and long beards.

The incident has once again highlighted the issue of Sikhs being repeatedly targeted for their appearance and dress code. A lot of these incidents also go unreported and that does not help the cause either. Ensure to be cautious while travelling. If you suspect any possible threat which may bring harm to you or people around you, please don’t take it lightly and call 911 to report the incident. Victims of hate crimes and racial profiling are also advised to contact UNITED SIKHS to advocate on their behalf. You may report a hate/bias crime/incident to UNITED SIKHS at http://unitedsikhs.org/hatecrime/

Your support is indispensable for UNITED SIKHS to fight for justice and recognize the human race as one.

Support our advocacy work to put an end to hate and discrimination against Sikhs.

Volunteer with UNITED SIKHS, and Donate to our civil rights advocacy projects.

Issued by:

Manvinder Singh

Legal Advocate

UNITED SIKHS

law-usa@unitedsikhs.org

646-688-3525

Twitter   Facebook Blog

Know Your Rights Toolkit

Airport Screening Process - AIT

Airport Screening Process - Metal Detectors

Airport Screening Process - Opt Out Of AIT

Bullying Card

Bullying Pamphlet

Census Representation Card

Census Representation Pamphlet

Employment Discrimination Card

Employment Discrimination Pamphlet

Hate Crimes Prevention Card

Hate Crimes Prevention Pamphlet

Prisoners Rights Card

Prisoners Rights Pamphlet

Religious Accomodation Card

Religious Accomodation Pamphlet

The Evolution Of TSA Airport Security Policies Regarding Sikh Turbans

Volunteer & Donate to UNITED SIKHS today and make a difference.

Contact Us

You can help those affected by countless crises around the world each year by making a financial gift to the UNITED SIKHS, which will provide immediate relief and support to those in need. You may donate online at www.unitedsikhs.org/donate  or send your donations to a UNITED SIKHS office nearest to you, whose details can be found at http://unitedsikhs.org/contact.php .

Ordinarily only 10 percent of your donation is spent on admin costs.

OUR MISSION

To transform underprivileged and minority communities and individuals into informed and vibrant members of society through civic, educational and personal development programs, by fostering active participation in social and economic activity.

UNITED SIKHS is also an avenue for networking between like-minded organisations to establish and nurture meaningful projects and dialogues - whether social, cultural or political- to promote harmony, understanding and reciprocity in our villages, towns and cities.

UNITED SIKHS is a coalition of organisations and individuals, who share a common vision based on the belief that there is no greater endeavour than to serve, empower and uplift fellow beings. The core of our philosophy is an unwavering commitment to civic service and social progress on behalf of the common good.

Accordingly, UNITED SIKHS has sought to fulfil its mission not only by informing, educating and uplifting fellow beings but also by participating in cross-cultural and political exchanges to ensure that the promises and benefits of democracy are realized by all.

We at UNITED SIKHS believe that the development of enlightened and progressive societies can be made possible by socially conscious groups of people who make a commitment to develop and direct human potential. Our work, efforts and achievements stand as a testament to our faith in this vision.

This message was sent to kgujral@sky.com from:

UNITED SIKHS | JAF POB 7203 | New York, NY 10116

Email Marketing by

Unsubscribe  |  Forward This Message

This happened in my city, lived here all my life. I looked up the individual's name who attacked the elderly Singh (on facebook), he went to the college i went to for a short period of time.

It's really sad such ignorance exists. It's up to us to inform the world.

Obama could have done it but instead he refused to go to the Golden Temple because he was afraid and embarrassed that he would be confused for a Muslim or afraid that people would accuse him of being one (for political purposes). What an <banned word filter activated>.

• 2 weeks later...